Quick Email question

pdadoc

Aug 15, 2002
Visit site
Looking at possibly transitioning from 700P to iPhone. If getting email with POP, can you "leave messages on server"? Most devices allow this, but not sure about iPhone. If not, that would mean that all POP mailed is pulled to iPhone, and will no longer download into Mail (computer app).

I assume iPhone could then synchronize mail "back" to the computer Mail app, but that's not what I want. Ideally, I use mail on 700P occasionally to check it, but leave it on server, so it will go to computer when back home...

Thanks.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Looking at possibly transitioning from 700P to iPhone. If getting email with POP, can you "leave messages on server"? Most devices allow this, but not sure about iPhone. If not, that would mean that all POP mailed is pulled to iPhone, and will no longer download into Mail (computer app).

I assume iPhone could then synchronize mail "back" to the computer Mail app, but that's not what I want. Ideally, I use mail on 700P occasionally to check it, but leave it on server, so it will go to computer when back home...

Thanks.
Yes, you can leave it on the server. I do.

pdadoc

Aug 15, 2002
Visit site
Thanks- so I'm clear, you're saying there's a pref setting in iPhone to let POP email users "leave mail on server" or not?

jay_man2

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Thanks- so I'm clear, you're saying there's a pref setting in iPhone to let POP email users "leave mail on server" or not?
There is a preference setting for each POP email account of "Delete from server" and the choices are Never, Seven days, and When removed from Inbox.

For IMAP accounts, there's a Deleted Messages, Remove setting and the choices are Never, After one day, after one week, After one month.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
There is a preference setting for each POP email account of "Delete from server" and the choices are Never, Seven days, and When removed from Inbox.

For IMAP accounts, there's a Deleted Messages, Remove setting and the choices are Never, After one day, after one week, After one month.

YUP...give the man a cigar! Pretty nice.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
By the way, I just had my .Mac email sent through a Yahoo and it came through in 6 seconds with my iPhone email set to manual and the phone on standby. It's pretty sweet :)

pdadoc

Aug 15, 2002
Visit site
Main reason is my ISP (and email domain which everyone knows and uses for my email) is Mindspring (aka Earthlink). I don't want to change providers. Given that, I never really looked further at imap...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sball68