Question Mail dysfunctional.

Geoffsail

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have multiple problems with Apple's Mail. ISP is Centurylink, recently acquired by Brightspeed. OS 12.7.1. Using iMac and MacBook Air. The app will start "Moving messages" about once a month. It continues for a week or more, building from a few hundred to the top of around 2000. While it's doing this it downloads mail either very slowly or not at all. It will show the address and subject data and a faint wheel spin ning and say it is downloading. Sometimes it Des in less than an hour; sometimes not for several days. When Mail is working for downloads it will download the same message several times after I delete the message. I use my @me.com mail sparingly but that seems to work normally. I had tried to set up rules that forward all mail to a single mailbox in the iCloud segment of the mail boxes so I can get it on the MBA when away. I recently deleted these rules without benefit. Is the problem with Mail? Are there other mail apps I can use?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have multiple problems with Apple's Mail. ISP is Centurylink, recently acquired by Brightspeed. OS 12.7.1. Using iMac and MacBook Air. The app will start "Moving messages" about once a month. It continues for a week or more, building from a few hundred to the top of around 2000. While it's doing this it downloads mail either very slowly or not at all. It will show the address and subject data and a faint wheel spin ning and say it is downloading. Sometimes it Des in less than an hour; sometimes not for several days. When Mail is working for downloads it will download the same message several times after I delete the message. I use my @me.com mail sparingly but that seems to work normally. I had tried to set up rules that forward all mail to a single mailbox in the iCloud segment of the mail boxes so I can get it on the MBA when away. I recently deleted these rules without benefit. Is the problem with Mail? Are there other mail apps I can use?
From my understanding, this is on macOS.

First thing, I would update macOS, because 12.7.1 is a fairly old version. The current version is 14.2.1.

After that, I would run Connection Doctor, which tests the connection to the mail servers through Apple Mail.

If that doesn’t reveal any issues, I would set up the BrightSpeed mail account from scratch. It could be a corrupt mailbox cache.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I think you have a problem with Apple Mail. It's a common issue for users. You can try these steps to fix your Apple Mail issues:

1. Update your macOS and Mail app.
  2. In the mail, go to "Mailbox" and select "Rebuild".
  3. Remove your email account and add it back.
  4. If issues persist, try a different email app like Spark or Thunderbird.
Always back up your emails first, and seek help if needed.

I hope this will help you.
Hello and welcome to iMore!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77