iPhone 4 Reception Issue Is Not That Bad

spiels

Aug 29, 2009
Visit site
All 5 bars are not equal.
Best 5 bar signal = -51 dB
Lowest 5 bar signal = -99 dB

Signal drop is about 10 dBs with case, 20 dBs without. If you start at a -60 dB signal and drop let's say 15 dBs you go to -85, still in the good 5 bar range.

If you start at -98 dBs and drop 15 dBs you go to -113 dBs which is 1 bar, weakest signal possible.
Figured as much.

I am still getting better bluetooth, wifi, and reception. Clearer calls in places I got nada before.
Much improved - I can work with the "reception issues". Seriously people, if you don't like it....
RETURN IT!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Justin
My signal on my 3GS is now at 1 bar literally 75% of the time. I can't figure out exactly the pressure point but I know for sure that this never happened on 3.1.3... It also didn't happen on the GM release, however it is a huge problem on the final release and yes I've restored it too.

I think the 3GS doesn't have a place like the 4 where you can short the signal with one finger, but that's because the antenna is internal. Either way this is a very real problem for the 3GS. I've got no reason to make this crap up :p

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I think the 3GS doesn't have a place like the 4 where you can short the signal with one finger, but that's because the antenna is internal. Either way this is a very real problem for the 3GS. I've got no reason to make this crap up :p

I'm not saying the 3GS might not be somewhat affected by a different display of the bars, but iOS 4 did not actually make the signal worse for the 3GS. So yes, a software update could restore the normal bars to the 3GS.

What I'm arguing here is that the iPhone 4 has a real hardware issue that will never be fixed with software. You are saying if the 3GS lost bars, then the iPhone 4 must also be software, but this is not the case. Actually, iPhone 4 gained bars, showing more signal strength at lower signal quality. This is what makes the drop so dramatic when you have a weaker 5 bars.

No matter how you slice it, the iPhone 4 drops a lot more signal strenght in hand compared to the 3GS, about 10x more!

Again, I present the AnandTech chart:
anandtech-iphone4-signal-chart.jpg

How can you disagree with that?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
i agree with the previous post about signal attenuation... it appears that the major issue is the unshielded antennas on the exterior of the device, its only a blessing that cell phone radios are putting out minor power, i've been burnt by a 400 MHz radio putting out 50 watts, compared to the milliwatts transmitted by these cell phones.

my concern is heightened by apple admitting that the signal strength has been inflated by their software. such that when they apply whatever software patch that will be released shortly, the signal indicator will drop; at least the top few bars will drop.

does any engineer out there feel that this will change the dynamics of WHEN the cell phone disconnects from the tower, due to lack of signal?

in addition, i love the bumpers, but by the end of my tenure with the 3GS, i was using it un-skinned, as it fit more naturally, AND, the design was actually something to look at. the bumpers just make the phone, umm, well, not at the level of Apple's normal design quality.

joec222

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Only if they hold it in a certain way! Many users have found it works fine for them!

Where did you get this statistic from? Never use a statement such as this without evidence to back it up!

I was referring to the poll taken on this forum. Over half responding indicated that they had the problem.

Again - evidence?!

Read the consumer reports review on this issue....

Of course, if you really want people to take your post seriously, it's best to preface your "statements with something like "In my humble opinion" which, after all, is what it is!!

My opinion is not humble in the least. Apple simply put out a flawed product. They are the ones who should be humbled.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77