iPhone 4 Reception Issue Is Not That Bad

mo98

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm just trying to offer a theory as to why Apple is receiving harsh criticism over the antenna issue. I think when you present yourself as the master of design and build quality, you really have to come through in those areas on your product. I don't think it's jealousy or some grand conspiracy by the other brands and their loyal customers. I just think people (mainly their own loyal customers) expect a lot out of Apple because Apple talks a big game. I still believe there is a different and better way to present your business and it's products, but I don't think Jobbs has it in him.

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm just trying to offer a theory as to why Apple is receiving harsh criticism over the antenna issue. I think when you present yourself as the master of design and build quality, you really have to come through in those areas on your product. I don't think it's jealousy or some grand conspiracy by the other brands and their loyal customers. I just think people (mainly their own loyal customers) expect a lot out of Apple because Apple talks a big game. I still believe there is a different and better way to present your business and it's products, but I don't think Jobbs has it in him.

I only have one gripe and that is the reception. I have had more dropped calls with my iphone 4 than with my old 3g. When steve jobs says that there isn't a reception issue when there is that's where I find the problem. And than he says "stay tuned". Come on apple admit there's a problem come up with a fix and let's move on...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Like the one guy said, Apple talked trash about how remarkable it was to place the antenna on the outside. It's flawed and they're eating crow right now.

For a company that spends millions on ads, and is very smart marketing, Job's reply is just bizarre. Throw in a bumper Apple, issue a software "fix" and move on. Heck, it might entice more sales.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Like the one guy said, Apple talked trash about how remarkable it was to place the antenna on the outside. It's flawed and they're eating crow right now.

For a company that spends millions on ads, and is very smart marketing, Job's reply is just bizarre. Throw in a bumper Apple, issue a software "fix" and move on. Heck, it might entice more sales.

No, Jobs just knows that this isn't a flaw with the antenna, it's a software bug in the radio firmware that screws up switching to a different band when signal degrades. He knows they're working on a fix, and that everyone who's freaking out now is going to feel pretty foolish after 4.01 comes out (which will also fix the EXACT SAME ISSUE on the 3GS, proving it's iOS4, not the hardware).

Calm down, people.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
No, Jobs just knows that this isn't a flaw with the antenna, it's a software bug in the radio firmware that screws up switching to a different band when signal degrades. He knows they're working on a fix, and that everyone who's freaking out now is going to feel pretty foolish after 4.01 comes out (which will also fix the EXACT SAME ISSUE on the 3GS, proving it's iOS4, not the hardware).

Calm down, people.

It doesn't bother me really. I'm just concerned with how they're responding to it. Guess its the part of me that owns apple stock that is concerned.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com

Calm down, people.

They may be able to boost the signal a bit, but they won't be able to remove the 20 dB drop by touching the bottom left corner with a single finger.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
They may be able to boost the signal a bit, but they won't be able to remove the 20 dB drop by touching the bottom left corner with a single finger.

What if they seamlessly switch to a band where that 20db drop doesn't matter? Calls still clear, data still fast (if not the theoretical maximum)?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Jeff
People seem to be ignoring whenever I tell them this now happens on my 3GS. It's never happened before, I am completely OCD about tiny things like this, so I would notice if this were happening before. It even happens when I hold it on the LEFT side, just like iPhone 4!

If iOS 4 can create this issue, it can certainly be removed with firmware as well.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
What if they seamlessly switch to a band where that 20db drop doesn't matter? Calls still clear, data still fast (if not the theoretical maximum)?

Technically it doesn't matter now. Even with 1 bar *most* of the time I can complete calls just fine. Just like they said in the AnandTech article today that even with 1 bar they had better call quality than they did previously at 1 bar on the 3GS.

I'm just saying a software fix can make this issue practically irrelevant.

My issue isn't so much about the calls though, I rarely use my iPhone to make calls. My problem is that 20 dB drop, even if I'm still in the 5 bar range, will lower my 3G data speed from something amazing to something meh.

The only software solution I can see that would help this is just cranking up the output power to compensate for the absorption in the hand.

@Jeff
People seem to be ignoring whenever I tell them this now happens on my 3GS. It's never happened before, I am completely OCD about tiny things like this, so I would notice if this were happening before. It even happens when I hold it on the LEFT side, just like iPhone 4!

If iOS 4 can create this issue, it can certainly be removed with firmware as well.

I think they adjusted where the bars break down vs the actual numeric dB. They could adjust this, but this wouldn't have any affect on the underlying problem.

Look how much the actual dBs drop in the 3GS compared to the 4.

Screen-shot-2010-06-30-at-12.07.06-PM-400x117.png

3GS drops 2 dB and iPhone 4 drops 20 dB...that ain't software.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Technically it doesn't matter now. Even with 1 bar *most* of the time I can complete calls just fine. Just like they said in the AnandTech article today that even with 1 bar they had better call quality than they did previously at 1 bar on the 3GS.

My issue isn't so much about the calls though, I rarely use my iPhone to make calls. My problem is that 20 dB drop, even if I'm still in the 5 bar range, will lower my 3G data speed from something amazing to something meh.

The only software solution I can see that would help this is just cranking up the output power to compensate for the absorption in the hand.

I think they adjusted where the bars break down vs the actual numeric dB. They could adjust this, but this wouldn't have any affect on the underlying problem.

Look how much the actual dBs drop in the 3GS compared to the 4.

Screen-shot-2010-06-30-at-12.07.06-PM-400x117.png

3GS drops 2 dB and iPhone 4 drops 20 dB...that ain't software.

So you don't think a software fix is coming?

I have a bad feeling its not.. :confused:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
So you don't think a software fix is coming?

I have a bad feeling its not.. :confused:

I think they might release something that will maybe adjust how the bars are displayed compared to the underlying signal to give you a more accurate idea of your real signal. They may even boost the power output to overcome the dB drop.

I just don't see any software coming out that will be a fix that will keep the phone from dropping 20 dB in signal strength just by touching the bottom left area of the phone with ONE finger.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I just don't see any software coming out that will be a fix that will keep the phone from dropping 20 dB in signal strength just by touching the bottom left area of the phone with ONE finger.

This.

It's a hardware flaw. Yes, almost all cellphones today have the antenna in the bottom of the device ( to pass FCC tests ). Most phones have an internal loop. Apple decided to go with an external loop, totally missing about 1/2 the population that holds the phone in their left hand making that "one" part of the phone easily touched and the signal interfered with. There's no software change this is going to "fix" the body of a human being from being able to "short" the two antennas changing the wavelength it was optimized to pick-up.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I think they might release something that will maybe adjust how the bars are displayed compared to the underlying signal to give you a more accurate idea of your real signal. They may even boost the power output to overcome the dB drop.

Yiiiikes.. this is what I was afraid of when I heard the issue.

My bumper needs to get here before July 16th..

micky_rooney

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm also a user who doesn't seem to believe that a software update is going to solve these issues. The phone itself is the issue and we'll just have to get on with it really, maybe minor solutions and what knot could be issued but that will be about it imo.

I think Apple will look to address this by changing the hardware in future models which I certainly would be quite soon..

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
This.

It's a hardware flaw. Yes, almost all cellphones today have the antenna in the bottom of the device ( to pass FCC tests ). Most phones have an internal loop. Apple decided to go with an external loop, totally missing about 1/2 the population that holds the phone in their left hand making that "one" part of the phone easily touched and the signal interfered with. There's no software change this is going to "fix" the body of a human being from being able to "short" the two antennas changing the wavelength it was optimized to pick-up.

So why not issue a recall so they can fix this problem?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
There was rumors of an update coming this week, still hasn't happen so I'm even doubting that is going to happen this week. There are other bugs though, like the proximity sensor so I think they will have to release a bugfix 4.0.1, but I guess they are going to take their time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro