3D touch and Glass protector

blwatson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I feel like no one is asking the real question...How important are screen protectors anyway? I haven't used one on my 5s for the last 2 years. Am I missing something?

MrAdamsD

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I feel like no one is asking the real question...How important are screen protectors anyway? I haven't used one on my 5s for the last 2 years. Am I missing something?

I would love to not use a screen protector but it's almost impossible to not scratch the screen. Some people don't mind having little minor scratches. I just like having that extra protection.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I would hold off on getting any screen shields for the new phones until we actually have them. I am sure the major glass screen shield manufactures will test them on launch day to make sure their products work.

It shouldn't have any issues.... Android had this feature for a while and never had an issue with a similar feature on it with a glass protector. I just detects how long you press vs anything special like heat placement or etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrAdamsD

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't have any issues.... Android had this feature for a while and never had an issue with a similar feature on it with a glass protector. I just detects how long you press vs anything special like heat placement or etc

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Android has had this specific feature. Long press and 3D touch are 2 totally different things.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Android has had this specific feature. Long press and 3D touch are 2 totally different things.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

It's the same general concept and 3D touch is the same concept with Apple spin on it....

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's not like android, it's not how long you press. It's not heat sensing. It's not what's on the Mac track pad, it's not what is on the Apple Watch. 3D Touch is an entirely new technology and software. 96 sensors measure the actual cover glass deflection, depth of press at the point you press and at the surrounding sensors. This information is integrated with input from capacitance touch, accelerometer, and gravimetric data. This all has been explained in the reveal and can be viewed on the Apple Store site as well as several articles that have been published.

It is by no means the same general concept. Current screens have long touch. For instance long touch the app and you will get into delete and move app mode. Android fans will attempt to dismiss the significance of depth sensing screens. My opinion is that this will be the next generation of touch screens. Per the reviews released today, I am not alone in seeing the advantages.

Four to five years of hardware R&D and software design are not insignificant expenditures for Apple to make. And for some reason I have more confidence in the Apple design team than in any arm chair imore forum texting design engineer that tells me it's nothing new, just like what android has. Course I could be wrong and Apple missed out on copying what android already has.....yeah right.

Until we try different cover glass with varying thickness we won't know if or how it affects the deflection and therefore the depth sense. At the moment we know apples' designer specs document calls out for 0.3 mm max thickness. Is this a threshold limit, a limit with decreasing sensitivity as cover glass thickness increases? We will have to see.

Last edited:

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It's not like android, it's not how long you press. It's not heat sensing. It's not what's on the Mac track pad, it's not what is on the Apple Watch. 3D Touch is an entirely new technology and software. 96 sensors measure the actual cover glass deflection, depth of press at the point you press and at the surrounding sensors. This information is integrated with input from capacitance touch, accelerometer, and gravimetric data. This all has been explained in the reveal and can be viewed on the Apple Store site as well as several articles that have been published.

It is by no means the same general concept. Current screens have long touch. For instance long touch the app and you will get into delete and move app mode. Android fans will attempt to dismiss the significance of depth sensing screens. My opinion is that this will be the next generation of touch screens. Per the reviews released today, I am not alone in seeing the advantages.

Four to five years of hardware R&D and software design are not insignificant expenditures for Aplle to make. And for some reason I have more confidence in the Apple design team than in any arm chair imore forum texting design engineer that tells me it's nothing new, just like what android has. Course I could be wrong and Apple missed out on copying what android already has.....yeah right.

Until we try different cover glass with varying thickness we won't know if or how it affects the deflection and therefore the depth sense. At the moment we know apples' designer specs document calls out for 0.3 mm max thickness. Is this a threshold limit, a limit with decreasing sensitivity as cover glass thickness increases? We will have to see.

It's not "new" technology......

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you want to put the Apple spin on it then sure it's "new"

Apple spin? Has nothing to do with that. We're talking technology. I hate to tell you, but not all technology is the same. How much reading have you done on Force Touch and 3D Touch? What do you know about either?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sball68