How is your glass screen protector holding up on your iPhone 12?

ibcop

Nov 16, 2020
Visit site
Okay, pretty new to Apple and have the 12 Pro Max as a personal device and a XR for work. I have a Zagg Elite + on the 12 and nothing on the XR. I have to say the 12 is much more fingerprint heavy than the XR. I'm not sure if the tactory glass used in the XR and 12 are the same but who isn't using glass - how is it holding up on the 12? I'm in law enforcement and the phone is usually in a cargo pocket of some sort so I figured I better use a glass screen protector. I'm also using a UAG case on the 12.

I'd appreciate some feedback.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Xr uses the same durable glass as previous models. The 12 series uses a new kind called Ceramic Shield. It's supposed to be harder and more durable. What got fingerprints, the screen itself, or the Zagg?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Here's the deal with fancy brand screen protectors and we have the data to back it up. You can get done with throwing your money away much faster if you just stand over the toilet and flush, or throw the money in your camp fire.

We have 100+ Apples and Androids in the work place where no one's kind with them. They can all break. You can pay $10 - $30 each or you can buy 3 packs for $4.50 - $10. It's easy to know how to install them well. Lots of them come with a jig to help you mount them.

My boss paid $40 - $80 a device for Zagg brand. For iPhone 12 series a little more than $10 gets a Spigen case that's thin and protective while a little less gets a 3-pack of .25 glass protectors.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Here's the deal with fancy brand screen protectors and we have the data to back it up. You can get done with throwing your money away much faster if you just stand over the toilet and flush, or throw the money in your camp fire.

We have 100+ Apples and Androids in the work place where no one's kind with them. They can all break. You can pay $10 - $30 each or you can buy 3 packs for $4.50 - $10. It's easy to know how to install them well. Lots of them come with a jig to help you mount them.

My boss paid $40 - $80 a device for Zagg brand. For iPhone 12 series a little more than $10 gets a Spigen case that's thin and protective while a little less gets a 3-pack of .25 glass protectors.

I respectfully disagree with this post. This has been a debate for years. Yes all glass can break, however the more expensive glass screen protectors takes a little or lot more to break/damage depending many different factors, where as the cheaper glass protectors break easier under the same conditions.

We have found the Zagg Olephobic coating along with more expensive brands actually do research and development to improve fingerprint resistance and is much better at resisting fingerprints than their cheaper counterparts.

Think of it like this, if glass wasn't that much of a difference, why would Apple, Corning Ware, Phillips and many other glass manufacturers spend so much R/D time and money making improvements year after year? Simple example, a regular glass dish vs a Pyrex dish, one can withstand extreme heat (Pyrex) and the other one can't.

For me, I would rather have a piece of mind on a daily basis while using a quality screen protector than not using one at all and that's just me.
A car is a car and is meant to be driven, however they are not the same.
You get what you pay for.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The 12 series iPhones have the new Ceramic Shield. It's harder and more durable than any other Smartphone glass, past or present. It would be very difficult to scratch or nick, even if you were to try doing so on purpose. I don't use a screen protector on my 12 Pro Max. I've had it over 4 months with no scratches, nicks, or even fingerprints noticeable. I do use a protective OtterBox Commuter case for protection against drops. In over 5 years with no screen protector on my 2 iPhone 6s Plus', I never had a scratch or anything. And the new glass on the 12 Pro Max is even much stronger. The ceramic shield gives me all the peace of mind I need. For sure not gonna pay $40 for what's not necessary. But that's me. YMMV.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The 12 series iPhones have the new Ceramic Shield. It's harder and more durable than any other Smartphone glass, past or present. It would be very difficult to scratch or nick, even if you were to try doing so on purpose. I don't use a screen protector on my 12 Pro Max. I've had it over 4 months with no scratches, nicks, or even fingerprints noticeable. I do use a protective OtterBox Commuter case for protection against drops. In over 5 years with no screen protector on my 2 iPhone 6s Plus', I never had a scratch or anything. And the new glass on the 12 Pro Max is even much stronger. The ceramic shield gives me all the peace of mind I need. For sure not gonna pay $40 for what's not necessary. But that's me. YMMV.

https://www.imore.com/iphone-12-scratch-test-shows-ceramic-shield-isnt-scratch-proof?amp

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I never said it was scratch proof! I said mine had none. And that it's harder to get scratches. I'm not worried about it. Not worth $40 to me, even if I get a few I never notice while using my phone. It's not like I'll enter my iPhone in a scratch contest.

You said "it would be very difficult to scratch or nick". The article does not say that. I was pointing that out with the link. There is also several YouTube videos on this very subject concerning the 12 series screen.
It's not about entering your iPhone screen into a scratch contest and that comment was really uncalled for.

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have cracked glass and torn up plastic screen protectors, so I know I would have scratched my XS by now ! I am at present using a Zagg glass invisible shield+ screen protector which cost me £3.99 on a one day offer, these seem to last me about a year so I’m fine with them. I am one of those people who will put my phone in a pocket with keys in it,or down on a workbench so I need one. For those who will raise their precious little hands in horror at this, my phone is a tool like any other, it can’t live on the piano packed in excelsior ! Zagg glass+ for me.

ibcop

Nov 16, 2020
Visit site
Appreciate the responses. When I say fingerprints - on the actual screen protector. The XR for work is great - you can hardly notice anything. But Like most, I was worried about my phone (I paid for it, if the work phone breaks, oh well lol) have have always used a glass screen protector on my Androids.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I respectfully disagree with this post. This has been a debate for years. Yes all glass can break, however the more expensive glass screen protectors takes a little or lot more to break/damage depending many different factors, where as the cheaper glass protectors break easier under the same conditions.

We have found the Zagg Olephobic coating along with more expensive brands actually do research and development to improve fingerprint resistance and is much better at resisting fingerprints than their cheaper counterparts.

Think of it like this, if glass wasn't that much of a difference, why would Apple, Corning Ware, Phillips and many other glass manufacturers spend so much R/D time and money making improvements year after year? Simple example, a regular glass dish vs a Pyrex dish, one can withstand extreme heat (Pyrex) and the other one can't.

For me, I would rather have a piece of mind on a daily basis while using a quality screen protector than not using one at all and that's just me.
A car is a car and is meant to be driven, however they are not the same.
You get what you pay for.

We just deployed 5 dozen new Apple and Androids in past 5 months. My boss ordered two dozen Zagg. IT ordered well rated generic. They're used in delivery, order picking, POS and in kitchens. If the fancy brand have an advantage it's very much with diminishing returns. However I can see how someone could want to pay for the extra for a premium. There's no doubt I make that choice for some purchases but not here where I'm washing the phone often and also breaking the screen protectors.

:)

leerkin

Feb 12, 2021
Visit site
Ailun Glass Screen Protector Compatible for iPhone 12 pro Max 2020... This screen protector is a real tempered glass. The plastic flexibility is the exact reason why we call it tempered glass screen protector. Tempered or toughened glass is a type of safety glass processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal glass.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Sadly, my Zagg glass has a crack on it, but it did it's job! I dropped my phone onto a hardwood floor. I'm waiting to replace it... but will eventually!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
My Zagg glass is slowly separating around the notch and will not re-adhere, I have found all screen protectors do this eventually so try not to be too precious about it, it is annoying though ! I don’t know what the one Apple put on my XS when I bought it was, but that never stuck properly in the area where the home button used to be.

anon(10729025)

Feb 9, 2021
Visit site
Oh I chipped mine the day after I put it on i usually just buy a bunch from 5 Below. Oddly enough, I’m the only one who ever seems to chip mine...my family keeps theirs on for years

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
My Zagg InvisibleShield Glass Elite Visionguard screen protector is holding up just fine. I always buy the Zagg screen protectors because they have the best oleophobic coating and they never break when I drop my phone. I have never had to replace a Zagg yet. The cheap glass screen protectors don't hold up as well. There's a reason they're cheap - they're not nearly as good.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR