Wifi calling with Verizon

SoxfaninFL

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
It's finally here! Where I live I only get one 3G bar of signal, and even with a 3G network extender people would complain that they could not hear me.

SoxfaninFL

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it did come with 9.3. I'm assuming it's only available to the 6 and the 6s phones. I do have an iPhone 5s for work, and after I upgraded it wifi calling wasn't available in the phone settings.

rcooked

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I was able to activate wifi calling on my Verizon 6S+ after the update at home - seems to work just fine.

I noticed that when I arrived at work this morning and the phone connected to our network, it didn't just connect and put the wifi calling information between the dots and wifi strength indicator. So, I toggled it off and on, and the information appeared.

Then - I noticed that it went away again. Curiously, I am wondering if this is because of a specific port being blocked or something. This seems rather odd.

Has anyone else had this happen?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's wifi calling implementation seems to favor cellular, until the cellular signal goes below 2 full dots of signal and will switch off wifi if the cellular signal is better than 3 dots of signal.... Or, somewhere between -100 and -110 the switch to wifi happens...and back o cellular somewhere between -100 and -90.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Verizon's wifi calling implementation seems to favor cellular, until the cellular signal goes below 2 full dots of signal and will switch off wifi if the cellular signal is better than 3 dots of signal.... Or, somewhere between -100 and -110 the switch to wifi happens...and back o cellular somewhere between -100 and -90.

Mine cuts on at about -110. I'm at -114 quite a bit. No dropped calls though.

SoxfaninFL

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
What I've done is turn on airplane mode and then I turn on wifi, and that keeps it on wifi calling.

Last edited:

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm regularly between -100 and -114 in my home and since activating Wi-Fi Calling it reads "VZW Wi-Fi" all the time. Oddly enough, those same numbers would never cause the phone to switch over to the Verizon Network Extender we have in the house. It would always seem to prefer a weak 4G LTE signal instead of the Extender, (which we can now unplug and box away thanks to Wi-Fi Calling).

SoxfaninFL

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could get rid of my network extender, but my wife needs it since her Motorola droid doesn't have wifi calling. As soon as I walk to the other side of my home my phone goes on VZW Wi-Fi. I don't even get LTE where I live. All I get is a weak 1 to 2 bars of 3G.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Where do you see the numbers -110 and -114?

You add it to your status bar to replace the dots. You can switch back and forth. It's in the field test mode. Has nothing to do with wifi calling.
68ea4c2c2153cf27119198bd0bcb0d61.jpg

johndill17

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I updated 9.3 and enabled wi-fi calling as fast as I could. I can now have excellent call quality in my home, and I couldn't be happier. My only complaint is how long after the Sept. 2014 release of iPhones 6 it took for Verizon to implement the feature.

SoxfaninFL

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile has had this feature for quite a while. I used to have this feature with my Blackberry on T-Mobile back in 2008. I ended up going to Verizon because I got a corporate phone and didn't want to carry two phones. I ended up canceling my personal phone. Well I got tired of having outdated phones because with corporate phones you don't have the latest hardware especially if you use iPhones. I ended up getting a iPhone 6s Plus 128 gig on my wife's plan, and I figured out how to forward my corporate cell phone number to my personal phone. That includes text messages too. It works if you have two iPhones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krisgraver