Separate iTunes

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a 4S now, and my wife is getting one on Monday. We are both Android converts, so be gentle. My question is how do I set her phone up on the iTunes that is on my computer without mixing it in with my settings and apps? Would it be better to just have iTunes on both computers in our house, and keep up with each phone on a separate computer? TIA!

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Each device can sync separately on iTunes, so it's not necessary to have them on separate computers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you look into and setup home sharing. It'll make your life easier.

Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Like rayz said, you can sync both devices to one computer. Make sure you name your devices separately, though, to make your life easier. For example "Dave's iPhone" and "Leanna's iPhone".

Or if you're like me... "Steve" and "Woz" :)

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I put her iPhone in iTunes with her own Apple ID, and when I synced it, it downloaded my apps. Then today, I am getting the texts that she sends and receives. What am I doing wrong?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Are you getting texts or iMessages? If iMessages check your send and receive addresses in both phones messages settings

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My receive shows 2 addresses- my e-mail and my phone number. Hers does the same, except with her e-mail and phone number. I don't see a "send" setting.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Did you setup two different libraries on iTunes? Giving each device a different name is one thing, but then you have to hold down shift when you open iTunes and wait for the little window to pop up and choose "New library" (on PC). This will setup a second completely different account for your wife's iPhone to be synced to. Then each time you want to access yours or hers, make sure you hold down shift when opening iTunes and instead click on "Choose library". Each library will have a folder within your iTunes folder, named "iTunes MrX" and "iTunes Mrs X" depending on the name you chose for the devices. iTunes will always automatically open up to the last account it was closed upon.

Reactions: Gigi100557

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you setup two different libraries on iTunes? Giving each device a different name is one thing, but then you have to hold down shift when you open iTunes and wait for the little window to pop up and choose "New library" (on PC). This will setup a second completely different account for your wife's iPhone to be synced to. Then each time you want to access yours or hers, make sure you hold down shift when opening iTunes and instead click on "Choose library". Each library will have a folder within your iTunes folder, named "iTunes MrX" and "iTunes Mrs X" depending on the name you chose for the devices. iTunes will always automatically open up to the last account it was closed upon.

Thank you very much. That fixed it!

andsoitgoes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

Whoa whoa. Wait. There is no way you neeed to switch between two iTunes libraries because you're just getting the same messages. That is totally innecessary, and is going to create a mess of a headache later.

I have 4 devices on the same iTunes library and none of the devices get the wrong messages.

What you need to do, though, is both create your own iTunes accounts. When she has created hers, ONLY use that for the iMessages settings. Only there. The store will be your main account, ensuring you will share apps, music, etc.

So to confirm.

On her phone, create a new iTunes account. Go into iMessages and enter this information in there.

Then go into the store and enter your main iTunes info there so you're purchasing from one account, and allowing to keep everything equal, just make sure to a turn off automatic downloading if don't want to have every app you purchased automatically installed on her phone.

Please don't create two libraries just to have separate messages, that might work, but only because yove created a separate account.

Reactions: Gigi100557

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I concur. No need to set up multiple libraries. If you want to go that far, just use different commuters.
For me, I have 5 ios devices of mine and my family members all syncing to my iTunes. I set them up with their own iTunes account to use with messages iCloud, FaceTime, and Game Center. But they all use my iTunes account for the store. That way we can all share my music and all the apps I have. The only downside is that when I sync their device to my machine it updates the playlist counts and top most 50 played. But I really don't sync their devices with my computer that much anymore. I do all the updating and adding apps over the air right on their device. So I don't have a lot of Hanna Montanna songs in my top 50. ;)

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, of course he can. But if you read his original query carefully, you might see it expresses the need to keep totally separate accounts, to have it simple. Obviously, he was already trying to sync both devices to the same library and having problems with it. Obviously, he could have iTunes installed on another computer entirely... but him being here to ask the question indicated that he'd rather not do that...

But I stand corrected, switching library is such a headrush... whoaaaa! Oh, but wait, perhaps I don't want to have a common music library with my girlfriend, and have our apps all together. And by the way, we do use the same Apple ID, which allows us to sync pictures together with photostream, and to choose to install apps the other downloaded. What I like though is that we can use that and at the same time keep completely separate use and sync of our devices : her apps don't get into my library unless I force the transfer of my purchases, which I just don't need to do as all MY things are always there. I don't have to check what to sync and what not, I just sync everything, and backup everything, when needed, as needed, on MY library. Also have an iPad for the whole family, and it's also on a separate library with a bunch of apps for my daughter, and I like it that way. I know there's a way to make it work on the same library, I did that before. And then I learned about the separate libraries option and I never looked back. To each his own, it seemed pappy was ok with my idea...

It was ok for you to remind him it was possible on the same library, I understand that. Just suggest it, don't quote me as if I'd suggested the most terrible solution there could ever be for someone who obviously wanted to have completely different accounts on the same iTunes...

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, of course he can. But if you read his original query carefully, you might see it expresses the need to keep totally separate accounts, to have it simple. Obviously, he was already trying to sync both devices to the same library and having problems with it. Obviously, he could have iTunes installed on another computer entirely... but him being here to ask the question indicated that he'd rather not do that...

But I stand corrected, switching library is such a headrush... whoaaaa! Oh, but wait, perhaps I don't want to have a common music library with my girlfriend, and have our apps all together. And by the way, we do use the same Apple ID, which allows us to sync pictures together with photostream, and to choose to install apps the other downloaded. What I like though is that we can use that and at the same time keep completely separate use and sync of our devices : her apps don't get into my library unless I force the transfer of my purchases, which I just don't need to do as all MY things are always there. I don't have to check what to sync and what not, I just sync everything, and backup everything, when needed, as needed, on MY library. Also have an iPad for the whole family, and it's also on a separate library with a bunch of apps for my daughter, and I like it that way. I know there's a way to make it work on the same library, I did that before. And then I learned about the separate libraries option and I never looked back. To each his own, it seemed pappy was ok with my idea...

It was ok for you to remind him it was possible on the same library, I understand that. Just suggest it, don't quote me as if I'd suggested the most terrible solution there could ever be for someone who obviously wanted to have completely different accounts on the same iTunes...

You are correct, I wanted completely separate accounts, and your solution is just what I needed. Thanks, again.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Once you set up iCloud, there's really no need to use iTunes except to sync media, and if you use iTunes Match, you only need it to sync videos.

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

But Sharing the same library does solve the OP's questions. It doesn't mean you have to share the same apps and settings. You only share music and movies. Everything else can be separate.

Sorry. I wasn't putting you down. Just offering my 2cents.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

But Sharing the same library does solve the OP's questions. It doesn't mean you have to share the same apps and settings. You only share music and movies. Everything else can be separate.

Sorry. I wasn't putting you down. Just offering my 2cents.

I know it doesn't mean you HAVE to share them apps and settings. And you're right, perhaps right now the OP is satisfied, but one day will find out he'd rather have a common music and movies library with his girlfriend, and not have to switch libraries. Hence me relating to my personal use of iTunes, as I don't want common libraries, to illustrate the difference between using the same library or not. You did not offend me, nor did the other one before you, I was more having a laugh about what's supposed to be so hard in using different libraries (that was not you). A "nothing personal" laugh, mind you, as I understood what he meant, and what you meant - for users who want to share their media library a common library is so much more simple. But really, "a mess of a headache", that's pushing it a little far, IMHO. I have nothing to say against your comment, though. :)

meskin84

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I know it doesn't mean you HAVE to share them apps and settings. And you're right, perhaps right now the OP is satisfied, but one day will find out he'd rather have a common music and movies library with his girlfriend, and not have to switch libraries. Hence me relating to my personal use of iTunes, as I don't want common libraries, to illustrate the difference between using the same library or not. You did not offend me, nor did the other one before you, I was more having a laugh about what's supposed to be so hard in using different libraries (that was not you). A "nothing personal" laugh, mind you, as I understood what he meant, and what you meant - for users who want to share their media library a common library is so much more simple. But really, "a mess of a headache", that's pushing it a little far, IMHO. I have nothing to say against your comment, though. :)

Agreed, my wife and I share the sames iTunes Library so we use the same iTunes username and password.

We do, however, have individual Apple IDs setup so we can have iMessage and indiviual settings. As far as the app syncing, in iTunes all you have to do is select the Apps tab, and under the list of available apps UNCHECK the SYNC ALL APPS box, can't remember the exact verbiage, but that is where it is. I also uncheck all auto syncing for everything because that's MY preference.

The Checkbox would solve the problem with apps syncing neither of you want. Its just handy to be able to share all movies and music from one library, in my honest opinion.

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The way I used 2 different iPhones on iTunes was to make another user on my computer. So now I have my wife as a separate user account with her iPhone and my user account with my iPhone. We just make sure we log off the user name and log in another user accordingly. We have no copying of info from one phone to another that way. When I'm on my iTunes page, her phone never shows up or vice versus. Helluva lot easier than any other way.

anon(4765705)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The way I used 2 different iPhones on iTunes was to make another user on my computer. So now I have my wife as a separate user account with her iPhone and my user account with my iPhone. We just make sure we log off the user name and log in another user accordingly. We have no copying of info from one phone to another that way. When I'm on my iTunes page, her phone never shows up or vice versus. Helluva lot easier than any other way.

I did this (two users on one computer with totally separate Apple ID's and store accts etc.) for my mom and sister who share a MBA.

Was kind of hoping that their iPhones would WiFi sync to their respective accounts on the MBA regardless of which user was logged in at the time.

I've seen no evidence that this is working however.

Any suggestions if this is possible, and just a misconfig issue on my part?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2