Not getting Gmail push notifications

pedromsouza

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'm not getting Gmail notifications on the mail default app. It syncs when I open, but not automatically.

Please help.

Regards,

Pedro.

Edit: Thanks! It was set to "automatically". I changed it to 15 minutes. I'm editing the thread because I don't know how to mark as answered.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t push email is supported for Gmail via the native Mail app, but the official Gmail app supports it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Gmail doesn't push. Gmail uses Fetch on the stock Mail app. You can set it to every 15 minutes. Go to settings > Mail> Accounts > scroll down to Fetch new data > scroll down to Fetch and set as desired.
8d07049d436ced3cefc440722d4cfacf.jpg

If you want push notifications with your Gmail, you can use the Gmail app. Google took away push for the stock Mail app, but has it on their Gmail app.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
One reason why I keep the Gmail App running to get true push for call activations. Then if needed I still have access via native mail app later on.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
One reason why I keep the Gmail App running to get true push for call activations. Then if needed I still have access via native mail app later on.

Yes, I agree - use the Gmail app (or the InBox app.) Both are great for instant Gmail notifications. I have my gmail account in the stock mail app, but that's just so I can do things like delete individual replies in an email thread.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Well done figuring it out. Sometimes poking around in the settings is the best way to fix a problem ??????

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Font size used for GMail app is too small. I use Outlook for iOS. All of my email accounts including 2 gmails push just fine.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Font size used for GMail app is too small. I use Outlook for iOS. All of my email accounts including 2 gmails push just fine.

My experience with Outlook push notifications is not as good as yours. At times it goes hours without notifying me of new messages in my outlook.com account. In fact, I had to add that account to the stock mail app just to make sure that I received push notifications.

And the Gmail (and InBox) font size is fine with me.