Does the Apple Notes app on iPhone/iOS have a limit on the number of notes in a folder at one time?

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Confusion growing (mine).
I just don't get it, how 'Notes' can be part of email (I'm talking of Notes as the service, the system, not about attaching something to an email)
Usually, an 'account' (Microsoft, Google, Apple) has these components: email, calendar, contacts, notes. Some have more 'elements', but these are the basic ones.
Although these components are usually being managed (turned on/off etc.) within an 'account setting', and sync via the same cloud service, they are usually different things.
So in my understanding, Google Mail and Google Notes are technically not one entity, and I don't understand how Notes show/don't show or become part of an email.
But maybe this is just my lack of understanding, and/or something that I missed or overlooked in the last 20 years or so.

We don't have to continue discussing this here and bore the others to death. I can manage my daily stuff with the level of knowledge that I have.
But as soon as I'm in the mood, I'll test activating Google Notes (currently using Gmail only) on my Mac to figure out if and how this will show in Apple Notes, and if and how the Apple Notes that I'll put in a Google Folder (which may appear in Apple Notes) may sync with Google Notes.

Will report here in case of making any findings of (potentially) common interest.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I also had no idea that Notes was in some way connected to email. And am sorry to say I really don’t like the idea ! Where can I read more about this and how it works ? ( preferably written for the less than tech savvy)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I recall when I was backing up to iTunes via my PC that there were were folders labeled with my email addresses on my iTunes account. When I looked in to them, they contained various notes from the Notes App. It’s been quite a while since I’ve backed up to iTunes… all my back-ups are OTA.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I also had no idea that Notes was in some way connected to email. And am sorry to say I really don’t like the idea ! Where can I read more about this and how it works ? ( preferably written for the less than tech savvy)

Notes has always been connected to email. It's simply a mailbox folder.

The only exception is when you're using the iCloud account with newer iOS, iPadOS and macOS versions (not sure which version though). It stores it in a private database, which gives it additional features.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Notes has always been connected to email. It's simply a mailbox folder.

The only exception is when you're using the iCloud account with newer iOS, iPadOS and macOS versions (not sure which version though). It stores it in a private database, which gives it additional features.

You are confusing the label (folder) 'Notes' in Gmail with the 'Notes' feature in the Google ecosystem.
This 'Notes' feature has nothing to do with the Gmail label (folder). Notes that you create there, never show under the Gmail 'Notes' label (folder).

The 'Notes' Google feature is what we are talking about here, and about the Apple Notes app. And how, when and if at all there is an option to sync between Apple Notes and the Google Notes feature. And if there is a limit to the number of synced Notes (as per the OPs initial question).

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
So I'll try to shed light on the matter:

when enabling 'notes' in an Google account on an Apple device, a new folder 'Notes' gets created under the gmail ID of the account.
Apple Notes put in this folder get synced with the Gmail Notes label/folder.
They do NOT get synced with the Google Notes feature.

When enabling 'Notes' on e.g. an Android device, or when creating a new note in an App that works with Google Notes, new notes will go into the Google Notes feature, not the Gmail Notes label/folder.

So, important for the discussion would be to be clear about what we talk about when mentioning 'Notes': a mail folder in the Google world, or a separate Notes feature.
I was talking about the separate Notes feature, which I consider Apple Notes and the Google Notes feature to be.

As long as one talks about the Google Notes label/folder, and the other one about the Google Notes feature, there will be confusion and misunderstanding.

P.S. I consider it Apple's 'fault' to sync a Note with a Google 'notes' label/folder, rather than where it belongs, to the 'Notes' feature, the equivalent of Apple Notes in the Google world.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
You are confusing the label (folder) 'Notes' in Gmail with the 'Notes' feature in the Google ecosystem.
This 'Notes' feature has nothing to do with the Gmail label (folder). Notes that you create there, never show under the Gmail 'Notes' label (folder).

The 'Notes' Google feature is what we are talking about here, and about the Apple Notes app. And how, when and if at all there is an option to sync between Apple Notes and the Google Notes feature. And if there is a limit to the number of synced Notes (as per the OPs initial question).
Hi,

First of all, I was replying to @Wotchered's post directly :)

Second, the OP mentioned it was tied to to their Yahoo! account, not Google.
That means notes in a Yahoo folder can never exceed 1003 in total which is likely 1000 notes plus a 3 note cap. As long as the notes are in the Yahoo folder, Yahoo’s allowances and limits will always apply, regardless of Notes app settings, because that folder’s behavior is controlled by Yahoo.

I stopped using Google's services in 2012 for pretty much everything besides YouTube, so I don't know how their proprietary notes implementation works.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I'll try to shed light on the matter:

when enabling 'notes' in an Google account on an Apple device, a new folder 'Notes' gets created under the gmail ID of the account.
Apple Notes put in this folder get synced with the Gmail Notes label/folder.
They do NOT get synced with the Google Notes feature.

When enabling 'Notes' on e.g. an Android device, or when creating a new note in an App that works with Google Notes, new notes will go into the Google Notes feature, not the Gmail Notes label/folder.

So, important for the discussion would be to be clear about what we talk about when mentioning 'Notes': a mail folder in the Google world, or a separate Notes feature.
I was talking about the separate Notes feature, which I consider Apple Notes and the Google Notes feature to be.

As long as one talks about the Google Notes label/folder, and the other one about the Google Notes feature, there will be confusion and misunderstanding.

P.S. I consider it Apple's 'fault' to sync a Note with a Google 'notes' label/folder, rather than where it belongs, to the 'Notes' feature, the equivalent of Apple Notes in the Google world.

I was refering to Notes in the Notes app on iOS showing in email Notes folders. No clue about Google anything. Other than Gmail notes. When you said Google notes, I thought you meant Gmail. So there's a Google Notes that's separate from Gmail Notes? When you say Apple Notes, do you mean iCloud Notes?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I basically described how it works. I used Gmail notes as an example. Say you have a Gmail email account on your iPhone. Then you can have Gmail Notes show in the iOS Notes app. Turn on Notes in Settings > Gmail and they show there. Turn Notes OFF in Settings > Gmail, and a Notes folder appears in the email with all your Gmail notes. Then they no longer show in the Notes app. To have them show back in the Notes app, turn Notes on in Settings > Gmail. I assume this works for most email services. Not sure about iCloud. It's been like that for years. If you don't want your notes to show in an email Notes folder, then just keep it turned on in Settings.
Gmail notes, along with other email services notes, do not sync with iCloud. So for those who like Gmail notes (for example), they can move them to the email folder when necessary. Like when you might need to set up your iPhone as new. Then afterwards, turn Gmail Notes back on, and they're back in the Notes app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234