• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iTunes can't read contents of iPhone

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I screwed up my iTunes apparently. I am trying to move my iTunes library to a new laptop and so I transferred the music using an external hard drive. I still found I was missing some music because I seem to have some exclamation points next to some of my music. I'm not sure what that's all about. Anyway, I found the files for most of the missing music (most of the time the file was in the transferred music files, I just had to locate it manually. I don't know why). I wanted to back up and sync my iPhone but when I plugged it into the new laptop it gave me an error that iTunes can't read the contents and then prompts me to restore my iPhone. I thought "screw it, I'm not dealing with this" and decided to just plug it into the old laptop and that one now says the same thing! What did I do to cause this? Restoring is a PITA.

I did read online about people installing iFunBox and deleting three specific files but I'm really not digging that idea. I'm guessing I am going to have to bit the bullet and restore. I would like to know how I caused this so I don't repeat it in the future. Ugh.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
You can't just move it over you need to make sure some settings are correct. I'm mobile right now but just google transferring your iTunes library. It's pretty straight forward.