Question iTunes file transfer to iCloud

Gooders

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi
I'm a 50-something with very little technical know-how who struggles with Apple software functioanily.
I have over 3000 songs saved on my laptop via iTunes (saved mostly via CD's and tapes using some basic data transfer technology).
I'd like to switch from laptop to an iMac in the next month or two but I've no idea how to download my music files to the Cloud so I can access them on the Mac when I eventually buy one.
Is there anyone out there who can offer any (simple!) advice on how I might do this?
Many thanks in advance
Gooders

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I assume the music you have is in .mp3 format. I’m also going to assume you have an iCloud account and are subscribing to or plan to subscribe to at least the 200 GB iCloud Storage option.

If so, you should be able to create a folder in your iCloud Drive and then upload your songs to it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Many thanks for your help.
All files are .m4a format. Does that make a difference?

It shouldn’t matter.

Per Apple: You can store your documents, presentations, and other files in iCloud Drive, and access them on all your devices and on the web. Your files stay up to date everywhere. ~ https://support.apple.com/guide/icl...You can store your,stay up to date everywhere.

Setup iCloud Drive — https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/set-up-icloud-drive-mm203b05aec8/1.0/icloud/1.0

File Updates and Sharing — https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/what-you-can-do-with-icloud-drive-mm19ef899373/1.0/icloud/1.0

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I'm a 50-something with very little technical know-how who struggles with Apple software functioanily.
I have over 3000 songs saved on my laptop via iTunes (saved mostly via CD's and tapes using some basic data transfer technology).
I'd like to switch from laptop to an iMac in the next month or two but I've no idea how to download my music files to the Cloud so I can access them on the Mac when I eventually buy one.
Is there anyone out there who can offer any (simple!) advice on how I might do this?
Many thanks in advance
Gooders
If you have an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription, the songs can be transferred between the devices using that service.

However, that might replace some songs with iTunes versions.

So depending of what result you prefer, that could be a possible solution.

If you want an exact transfer, iCloud Drive/OneDrive/Dropbox is the way to go. Simply upload to a folder on the cloud storage solution of choice, and download the folder on your new iMac, as suggested by @Just_Me_D .

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77