Is it possible to buff out small scratch on face of Apple sport watch

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Took a spill in the sand recently in a foot race with my son and got a couple scratches. Is there any way to buff/get them out?

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you can buff out most small glass scratches with metal polish and a soft cloth. Use just a dab on the cloth and rotate until it buffs out the scratches.
In the UK it's called Brasso but there should be similar products worldwide.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Is there any way to buff/get them out?

Maybe. I'm guessing it's the Sport Watch. First it depends on the depth of the scratches. Jewelers buff out scratches in watch crystals all the time. A fairly scratched up crystal can be made to look brand new in skilled hands. Deep scratches or gouges are a different story. But even those can be made less glaring.

Second, the Ion-X glass may be an unknown quantity. I don't think it's a unique creation just for Apple, but it could be. I'd take it to a couple of jewelers, tell them about the crystal and see what they say. Maybe ask them if they've ever buffed scratches out of sapphire crystals. Since those have greater hardness, the Ion-X should be doable.

:yes: Most everybody who's ever served in the US Military knows Brasso! Always had a can nearby, still do!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Is there any way to buff/get them out?

Maybe. I'm guessing it's the Sport Watch. First it depends on the depth of the scratches. Jewelers buff out scratches in watch crystals all the time. A fairly scratched up crystal can be made to look brand new in skilled hands. Deep scratches or gouges are a different story. But even those can be made less glaring.

Second, the Ion-X glass may be an unknown quantity. I don't think it's a unique creation just for Apple, but it could be. I'd take it to a couple of jewelers, tell them about the crystal, and see what they say. Maybe ask them if they've ever buffed scratches out of sapphire crystals. Since those have greater hardness, the Ion-X should be doable.

:yes: Most everybody who's ever served in the US Military knows Brasso! Always had a can nearby. I've never tried it to remove scratches and would probably take my Watch to a jeweler.

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
:yes: Most everybody who's ever served in the US Military knows Brasso! Always had a can nearby. I've never tried it to remove scratches and would probably take my Watch to a jeweler.

Snap: ex-UK military myself with 25 years service. Using it on glass was one of the tricks I learned. I've done it countless times to get rid of scratches on varies types of glass including some of my analogue watches.
Should have added:- use it with a lint free cloth to get that smooth surface on glass.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Snap: ex-UK military myself with 25 years service. Using it on glass was one of the tricks I learned. I've done it countless times to get rid of scratches on varies types of glass including some of my analogue watches.
Should have added:- use it with a lint free cloth to get that smooth surface on glass.

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diriment