• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iphone seems sluggish

pinny

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
It's seemed to me that my iphone 3g has been slowing down over time. Everything just seems very slow and sluggish these days. I tried deleting half my apps (I'm down from about 5 pages to 2.5) and that may have helped a little bit. Rebooting helps a tiny bit too. Anybody have any ideas on how to speed this up. I'm thinking of doing a full restore and then just not downloading anything I don't use alot. Think that will help?

Thanks,
Pinny

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Sluggish in what way? Data transfer? Rendering typed text? Changing between applications?

If you can be more specific, maybe someone will know of a fix... other than simply doing a "restore" on the iPhone.

pinny

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for not being specific. Thankfully data transfer is great! The issue is opening/changing between apps. Like when I'm in an app and double click the home button, it takes several seconds for favorites to pop up. Whenever I open Notes, it takes also a bit before I can start typing or switch between notes. Stuff like that.

Thanks!
Pinny

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
Are you using apps that require your current location? In that case, these apps can slow down the phone because they take time to connect to the data network and they can get even slower if the network is not stable.

USCGMK

Oct 19, 2008
Visit site
try to reset your device. hold on/off top button down along with the home button until it shows the apple logo, then release the buttons. do that and it will reboot it and clear out a bunch of running items and whatnot.

skuwamoto

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
If all you want to do is turn your device off and on, you should just be able to hold down the top on/off button without pushing the home button.

That way, you run less risk of applications being forced closed and leaving the persistent memory in an inconsistent state.

I find I need to do this every few weeks to keep my phone from slowing down.

Squampton

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
I do a 'quick reset' from time to time if it seems that my phone is starting to slow down. Open an app, any app. Once the app is loaded and running, hold the home button for about 7 seconds.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Mine was sluggish as well, compared to my wife's new iPhone. Amount of data may be a factor, but I also removed background and winterboard, and it seemed to speed it up a bit. I recently had to restore it, and it seems faster now as well. I wonder if there is any sort of "defragment the hard drive" or something that can speed it up?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman