Is my iPhone 7 battery dying?

Kumquat2

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had my iPhone 7 about 2.5 years and the battery life has remained pretty good generally. However, lately I've noticed something odd going on.

The phone will behave pretty normally but sometimes when it gets down to around 70% or less it's like a gremlin gets in it - something starts really draining the battery and it'll count down 10% or more within a minute. Sometimes killing the app I'm using stops it (not always the same app- most often Safari or Facebook, tho once it happened while I was updating apps) and sometimes rebooting the phone will stop it.

So for example, today it was on 71%, after around an hour and a half of use, when it started to count quickly down and went down to 58% in 20 secs until I rebooted it. After that it stuck on 58% for another 15 mins or so before jumping to 55% suddenly then starting to count down again, until 30 secs later I came out of Facebook and it stopped on 51%. I plugged it in for a short while until it was back up to 60% and since then the drain has been perfectly normal, around 6% over 20 mins of use. Any ideas? Is it just time for a new battery or a new phone?!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore. It’s good to have you here. In regards to your question, it does sound like you may behaving an issue with your battery. The best way to figure it is to take it to the Genius Bar at The Apple Store, or an Apple authorized service repair shop. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Kumquat2

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just like I advised in another thread you created anonymously, make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose the problem for

It’s weird that you’ve had this issue before with an entirely different iPhone.

https://forums.imore.com/iphone-4/248334-strange-battery-life-issue.html

Not exactly the same issue- the previous issue happened with the phone left in standby whilst on this phone it only happens while using it. Can't recall how the previous issue was resolved in the end, possibly I updated the iOS. This phone is running iOS10 - I've always left my phones on their original version as I understand putting newer versions on older phones makes battery life worse, but in this case at least it'd give me access to the battery health tools on the later versions.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Actually, not updating your iPhone’s OS might be contributing to your battery issues. iOS updates sometimes improve battery life.

Not exactly the same issue- the previous issue happened with the phone left in standby whilst on this phone it only happens while using it. Can't recall how the previous issue was resolved in the end, possibly I updated the iOS. This phone is running iOS10 - I've always left my phones on their original version as I understand putting newer versions on older phones makes battery life worse, but in this case at least it'd give me access to the battery health tools on the later versions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2