I keep getting an incompatible firmware error when trying to update my Wi-Fi + cellular iPad Air.

malikxx

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPad Air, after waiting for a very long time to update, I decided to but after updating my cellular menu disappeared, I tried doing a fresh installation but I keep getting an incompatible firmware error, but if I try the wifi only version I am able to install. . . Is there a way to make the cellular Firmware install?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
re: I keep getting an incompatible firmware error when trying to update my Wi-Fi + cellular iPad Air.

Welcome to iMore! Use recovery mode to restore through iTunes. You can't force a particular version of iOS to install but this method should detect the correct version for you.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263
Have you made any hardware changes to your iPad Air? This shouldn't be happening. If the issue persists bring your iPad into an Apple Store or contact Apple Support.

malikxx

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
re: I keep getting an incompatible firmware error when trying to update my Wi-Fi + cellular iPad Air.

I have tried recovery mode, still have same issue, successfully installed the wifi version but my iPad is the cellular version. . . Model A1475

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
incompatible firmware

welcome to imore! Use recovery mode to restore through itunes. You can't force a particular version of ios to install but this method should detect the correct version for you.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201263
have you made any hardware changes to your ipad air? This shouldn't be happening. If the issue persists bring your ipad into an apple store or contact apple support.

↑↑best answer↑↑
Especially the part about taking it in to an Apple Store.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I have tried recovery mode, still have same issue, successfully installed the wifi version but my iPad is the cellular version. . . Model A1475

Put the device in DFU mode, and then restore it via iTunes. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My computer is connected to the Internet but it still just downloads the Wifi firmware
If you've put the device in DFU mode as suggested, and the update still fails, make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them fix the problem for you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrymelon