Has anyone gone from the iPhone X to an iPhone 8?

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I can say from a strictly anecdotal view, that I thought the 7+ Camera was the best camera yet. I can't tell you exactly why, but I just feel that I got better results with the 7+. I had the 8+ since launch and while it was a great camera, I just thought the 7+ beat it.

I just got my X and have not really used the camera much

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
OK, People.... I just finished a solid week with the X. I don't need to go into the many cool features that it has, but I just popped my SIM back into my 8+ and here are the reasons

1. Battery life. The X isn't bad but the 8+ is great

2. It just felt small in my hand.

3. It felt fragile. I had a thin case on it, but I was still worried

4. Face ID.. It did work great, but just like touch ID better

5. And the most important reason of all is that my daughter took one look at it and lost her mind... She absolutely LOVED it and she made the Deans list in college this semester and I thought it was a great way to show her how proud I was of her.

So, back to the 8+ for me. If it wasn't for my daughter, I would have kept it and loved it. Those other issues I brought up are real, but nothing that would have led me to return the phone.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
5. And the most important reason of all is that my daughter took one look at it and lost her mind... She absolutely LOVED it and she made the Deans list in college this semester and I thought it was a great way to show her how proud I was of her.

So, back to the 8+ for me. If it wasn't for my daughter, I would have kept it and loved it. Those other issues I brought up are real, but nothing that would have led me to return the phone.

Awww. What a good dad!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’ve read that too but never felt that the photos or video looked strange on a Samsung phone. I wasn’t knocking the X’s display which is likely one of the best available.

Yeah, I do prefer how it pops out more on the Samsung. It makes it noticeably different compared to a normal LCD display.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I know I’m super late to the party but who cares lol.

I use both an X & 8 daily & sometimes a 7 Plus. As far as going from an X to an 8 goes, I think you’ll be fine. Especially since you didn’t really enjoy the X. I think I’m so use to using both that the keyboard size doesn’t bother me too much. Occasionally I’ll notice a slight difference in the screen size, depending on what I’m looking at, but nothing huge. I say go for the 8. It’s a great device!!

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm going on about 2 weeks with the X, and I can't sugarcoat this despite others' apparent happiness with it...I just don't like it. I hate Face ID. Touch ID is better, and I'm glad others seem to like it, but I don't. It's not that it fails a lot or anything, it's just not nearly as intuitive as Touch. Just my opinion.
-The screen, very nice, but not WOW, I'll never see anything like this ever again good.
-The size is nice, but, if you have a case on it, which, if you're smart you do, you can't reach the upper corners unless you have huge hands. Mine are pretty big, and I have to use 2, or readjust significantly to reach the top to swipe down.
-Reachability...near worthless on here. Once you've perfected the motion down from the little home line thingy, you have to pay attention to do it every time.

...and I could go on. So, I think I'm going with a regular iPhone 8. My question is this, for anyone that did the same thing....the width of the keyboard as compared to the X....is it a huge difference? Thanks.

I had same experience. Sent the X back and very happy with the iPhone 8. I enjoy the home button and the size of the iPhone 8 is perfect. Don’t like face recognition at all. To me the iPhone 8 is just better in every way.
Vinny

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I've had an X since November, but just bought 2 iPhone 8's (on a buy, one get one) because this may be the last iPhone with a home button & touch ID. The excessive swiping reminds me of what I didn't"t like about the first few years of iPhones. The swipe right to open was a wasted gesture. The speakers are 90% as good as the X, the OLED screen looks grainy and is never a true "white" color. The X is larger, heavier and I don't use a password, or portrait mode. I'll keep the X to switch back to occasionally (like when most apps finally catch up), but my daily phone has become the iPhone 8!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It took me a little bit to really prefer my Xes but now that I do I’ve gotten used to their...personalities. I like their gestures and the display, now that I’ve turned True Tone off. I still have a 6s and 6s+ for work and their sizes are not bad.

Enjoy your phones.

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Been rocking the regular 8 for a couple weeks now and love it. Don't miss the X at all. The 8 works for me. Appreciate all the feedback. Onwards and upwards!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I prefer gesture based devices so love the X. That said, I have def missed the Touch ID in some situations when I can’t be staring into the phone for faceid to unlock the device. No bezel wins for me.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I will probably do that and go back to the 8 from the X.

Although the X is by no means a bad phone, there are some reasons:

It doesn't do enough for me in return to the huge premium over the 8.
Yes, the screen gives you a "longer" view into certain websites etc, but in return, readability is not better, in many cases even worse than on the 8, as certain texts and images appear smaller on the X, due to its 18:9 screen format. Also, certain emails seem to get better formatted on the 8.
The 8 gives me one row of icons less on the home screen, I can live with that.
Videos which do not stretch across the entire screen look almost equally good/large on both phones, and if they stretch, there is the notch interfering on the X.
I do not see a huge difference in LCD vs OLED, the 8's screen is excellent too, even when lying next each others, with the same things displayed.
The camera on the X is better, however, the 8's camera is quite advanced, compared to the 7, not even speaking of the 6. Perfectly OK for me, in 8 out of 10 shooting situations.
I ran into this "oh my god now I have to pick it up and look at it, rather than just pushing the home button" - situation many times, which was kinda annoying. FT works well, though.
Even after some months of using the X, I'm still getting annoyed by this "swipe up and right - touch and hold -now you can flick up to close apps"-thing. It's such a relief to just double klick and flick up on the 8.
The 8 is thinner, lighter, and still a tad shorter than the X, and gives me that cool feeling when touching & holding it, not so with the X (this is very subjective, of course!).

All in all, to me, this does not justify a $300 or more premium.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Re: Anyone go from the X to iPhone 8?

You say "apparently" - did you find it to be true?
And, like I also said, "....I got used back to the 8 rather quickly...". It's a matter of a few hours only, and you'll no longer notice. Unless you constantly switch between the 2 phones, like I've been doing it for too long now!

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone go from the X to iPhone 8?

And, like I also said, "....I got used back to the 8 rather quickly...". It's a matter of a few hours only, and you'll no longer notice. Unless you constantly switch between the 2 phones, like I've been doing it for too long now!

So overall, you find using the "longer" or "shorter" screen makes little difference... thanks, that's useful information!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2