Help! I need to dual-wield

valor

Mar 9, 2024
Visit site
I need some wisdom of the crowds.

My work is *requiring* me to carry a separate phone for work email and communications, which is annoying. It’s pretty locked down and things like iMessage are disabled.

So, I’m looking for a way to magnet 2 iPhones together. Now, they don’t necessarily need to magnet, but I would like to separate them and carry my personal phone by itself at times.

The deets: I have an iPhone 15 Pro and an iPhone 15 Plus. I’ve seen the CellSnapp bolt-ons and I’m willing to give it a go if y’all say it’s worth it.

However, a few of things I’ve noticed:
1. When the phones are back-to-back they think they’re supposed to share something (Airdrop/Namedrop), so I have to place them back to back and top to bottom
2. Sticking the CellSnapp onto the back of the case prevents wireless charging (not necessarily a deal breaker, but annoying)
3. Anything that’s MagSafe compatible no longer works when the cell snap is attached.

So! All thoughts and recommendations are welcome!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The "system" below works well enough for me. Sharing in the event it may help.

My work phone (in an OtterBox case) sits in an OtterBox clip on holder that is attached to my right pocket. When I'm at work, the work phone sits on the desk inside the holder, or attached to my right pocket when moving around. My personal phone sits in my left pocket, or on the desk if I'm not mobile.

When not at work, the work phone (not in the clip on holder) typically goes in a pocket when mobile, or sits on a desk when at home. I check it occasionally.

valor

Mar 9, 2024
Visit site
Thanks!
I may end up trying the CellSnapp. Was hoping to find a solution that let preserved MagSafe usage without removing the phone from a case, but no such luck so far.

I guess the next stop for me is Shark Tank 😉

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Having “been there, done that”, are you a 24/7 employee? If not, then the solution is simple. You leave the work phone at work.

Unless this new “requirement”, as you put it, changed your pay structure and a new explanation of benefits was sent out.

Also, having been the one managing mobile device management, ask for as admin to log into they device and show you all the settings. I’d be willing to bet Find My is enabled, giving the company access to all your whereabouts.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I suggested the "leave the work phone,at work" scenario to a friend in the toils of internet architecture, twenty years ago. The wails of horror were astonishing. Apparently most computer based companies at the time required constant availability, at no cost to themselves, and quite minor managers justified their existence by calling their staff at random times about almost nothing. Not being a "team player" by nature, I still don't get working for nothing !

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I suggested the "leave the work phone,at work" scenario to a friend in the toils of internet architecture, twenty years ago. The wails of horror were astonishing. Apparently most computer based companies at the time required constant availability, at no cost to themselves, and quite minor managers justified their existence by calling their staff at random times about almost nothing. Not being a "team player" by nature, I still don't get working for nothing !

I worked for an electronics company for over 15 years and finally had to leave due to toxic management. They wanted to keep me hourly yet have access to be 24/7. When I told them my after hours fee is 2.5 times regular pay with a 2 hour minimum for every email, text and phone call, they advised they weren’t paying any overtime. I reminded them the contract I signed specifically said 8 hours a day, 8am-5pm, Monday - Friday, with an hour for lunch. Unless they wanted to renegotiate current document. They declined so I declined working overtime with no pay.

When review time came around (as luck would have it, on a Friday), I was informed “there’s no money in the budget for a raise this year”. I told them that was fine as there WAS money in another company’s budget to hire me and that at the end of the day I’d be turning in all my stuff as I wouldn’t be back Monday.

You have to take care of yourself because your employer darn sure won’t.

Reactions: m3ach and k1ward

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Apparently most computer based companies at the time required constant availability, at no cost to themselves
This is absolutely bonkers!

When I used to do on-call for a Internet Services Company (from November 2012 to May 2023), they were required to pay both for availability - IIRC, 1 hour for every 4 hour block, and a minimum of 3 hours per call - whether human or automated. And of course, any overtime incurred would be paid 150% of the hourly rate; with the right to refusal of work beyond 50h/week. On top of that, my monthly mobile phone plan was paid up to a certain amount (over 80%).

That wasn’t the company’s decision, it used to be required by law. Unfortunately, it was massively amended and finding information in the new version of the legislation is almost impossible, so I can’t confirm if it is still the case. 😥

If it was not compensated for availability, I would have told them to go see elsewhere if I was there.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77