Screen change gone wrong! NEED ADVICE

dariowales

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new to this and this is my first post,

I have previously repaired iphone 4/4s but today attempted my first 5.

The screen change has gone well everything seems to be working apart from the home button.
I am gettin absolutely no response from this.

I was very gentle whilst removing and then reusing / replacing the flex cable and there are no visual damage to it but do you think this is the main problem? The physical button works fine feels right and clicks when pressed however I got a feel the problem is the flex cable!
Does any one else have any thoughts? I have ordered a replacement to try tomorrow! But I'm worried now as there is no visual damage to it and I'm not getting any response!
Thanks for your time any help will be very much appreciated

Dario

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new to this and this is my first post,

I have previously repaired iphone 4/4s but today attempted my first 5.

The screen change has gone well everything seems to be working apart from the home button.
I am gettin absolutely no response from this.

I was very gentle whilst removing and then reusing / replacing the flex cable and there are no visual damage to it but do you think this is the main problem? The physical button works fine feels right and clicks when pressed however I got a feel the problem is the flex cable!
Does any one else have any thoughts? I have ordered a replacement to try tomorrow! But I'm worried now as there is no visual damage to it and I'm not getting any response!
Thanks for your time any help will be very much appreciated

Dario

Look at the area by the contacts (the ones you had to pry up) — this is typically the area people tear. Even if there is the tiniest fracture in the cable, it can cause the Home button to stop functioning. It's also possible that it isn't centered correctly and the two points aren't making contact with the dock connector. Be sure that isn't the case. You can tell where they line up on the dock when the screen is down.

Also be sure the screen is fully snapped in on the bottom. If it isn't it can cause it not to make contact, therefore not work. There is also a metal contact on the back of the Home button itself, be sure that is still in tact. i've seen it fall off before.

There are a few things to check. if those all seem to be okay - the cable most likely has a tiny tear in it from removal that you aren't seeing. You can order a flex cable via the link in the article, they are super cheap.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Look at the area by the contacts (the ones you had to pry up) — this is typically the area people tear. Even if there is the tiniest fracture in the cable, it can cause the Home button to stop functioning. It's also possible that it isn't centered correctly and the two points aren't making contact with the dock connector. Be sure that isn't the case. You can tell where they line up on the dock when the screen is down.

Also be sure the screen is fully snapped in on the bottom. If it isn't it can cause it not to make contact, therefore not work. There is also a metal contact on the back of the Home button itself, be sure that is still in tact. i've seen it fall off before.

There are a few things to check. if those all seem to be okay - the cable most likely has a tiny tear in it from removal that you aren't seeing. You can order a flex cable via the link in the article, they are super cheap.
Thank you, Allyson...:)

dariowales

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Wow thank you ally ! Appreciate the very quick and very helpful response! I will be sure to check all these possibilities later on!
I've got a feeling it's going to be the flex cable although it did look intact. Very possible it's a small fracture! I will let you know how it goes. Thank you very much

dariowales

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

Replaced the home button cable flex and is now working perfect. Thanks Ally!!