icloud backup working vs taking a long time?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
how come sometimes after waking up and checking if the icloud back up worked when your phone is locked on wifi and connected to the charger sometimes it says it backed up right after you plugged it in at first and other times if waits for maybe 6 or 7 hours to back up. one night i went to bed a 11 and it backed up at 1130 and the other night i went to bed at 11 and it didn't back up unitl 7am!? why is that? i feel like some nights it doesnt even back up and then when i put it back on the charger in the AM it then backs up? thoughts?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I've just recently decided to enable my icloud on my phone just this past Thursday, AND just for my own added security I still hook into iTunes via USB once a week and back up that way as well because I don't fully trust the cloud TBH.

Now, as for the back ups it does when locked, charging and full access to wifi - I see no rhyme or reason as to when it performs a back up either. For instance, I turned it on Thursday afternoon, when I decided to charge my phone last Thursday(5/3) night into the morning, when I woke I checked just for shytes and giggles. Sure enough, it performed a backup at 10:32pm. On the other hand when I plugged in on Friday(5/4) just to top my battery off again, it didn't back up. But then on Saturday(5/5) I charged again just to top off, and it performed a back up.

So to me, my phone seems to backup every other day just from what I've observed. But there really seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it will or not.

Infiniti7, you do also know that you can trigger a back up yourself from your iPhone on a daily basis if you wanted to, provided you have access to wifi.
Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Back up now :).

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've just recently decided to enable my icloud on my phone just this past Thursday, AND just for my own added security I still hook into iTunes via USB once a week and back up that way as well because I don't fully trust the cloud TBH.

Now, as for the back ups it does when locked, charging and full access to wifi - I see no rhyme or reason as to when it performs a back up either. For instance, I turned it on Thursday afternoon, when I decided to charge my phone last Thursday(5/3) night into the morning, when I woke I checked just for shytes and giggles. Sure enough, it performed a backup at 10:32pm. On the other hand when I plugged in on Friday(5/4) just to top my battery off again, it didn't back up. But then on Saturday(5/5) I charged again just to top off, and it performed a back up.

So to me, my phone seems to backup every other day just from what I've observed. But there really seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it will or not.

Infiniti7, you do also know that you can trigger a back up yourself from your iPhone on a daily basis if you wanted to, provided you have access to wifi.
Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Back up now :).

Like you, I have multiple backups, however, I try not to let allow auto-backups because I usually backup my device manually via iCloud once a day or after I've installed or uninstalled something. Also, I backup via iTunes. You can never be too careful with your data. Know what I mean?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Like you, I have multiple backups, however, I try not to let allow auto-backups because I usually backup my device manually via iCloud once a day or after I've installed or uninstalled something. Also, I backup via iTunes. You can never be too careful with your data. Know what I mean?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

D, I understand what you mean;):). I normally don't make any changes to my iPhone because it have been set the way I want now for some time. Only here and there i'll delete or add a contact or an app, and look to USB via iTunes either that day or within a few days of the changes to perform a 'hard' back up to iTunes.

I can say I was reluctant to turn the cloud back on because when I first got my 4S in Nov and upgraded from 4.3(?) to the new 5.0 my battery life was horrid. I did it OTA, and that's why. So from my device I did a restore as new and wiped the phone clean. WELL, when I went to use my iCloud back up, it only restored my contacts, calendar and reminders & wps from photo stream. Luckily I only had maybe 3 apps I dwld at the time and I was able to just re-dwld them no harm done. But imagine if my phone was well more established as it is now -- oh! I would've been livid!! LOL.

So, trust me, I do understand having 'security' of it all;) For now I'll allow the iCloud to do its thing when I'm charging & on wifi(99% of the time anyway) as well as doing my weekly USB back up to iTunes :)

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
For example it backed up yesterday at 12:09 pm but didn't back up last night when I charged my phone and turned it on wifi. Why wouldn't it of backed up last night?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
so why does icloud back up right away sometimes and other times it takes hours to work and back up?

I don't know, but I Fi know that it backs up periodically and automatically. Also, you do t have to wait for Ian automatic backup. Just select the 'backup now' option and be done with it.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For example it backed up yesterday at 12:09 pm but didn't back up last night when I charged my phone and turned it on wifi. Why wouldn't it of backed up last night?

I don't know. It could have been a server issue.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77