Factory Unlocked iPhone 5?

scoobydrew831

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody have any idea whether Apple will release an unlocked iPhone 5 at the same time as all the regular iPhone 5 or will they wait quite a few months to release it (like they did with the factory unlocked iPhone 4).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It'd probably help to know anything at ALL about the release of ANY iPhone 5 before anyone could speak on the release of an unlocked version.

Wait and see grasshopper...wait and see.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it's better to wait until Apple officially announces the iPhone 5 before people start making predictions about this.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Has Apple announced an iPhone 5? Man, I missed the announcement. :cool:

It's ALL speculation at this point... so who knows... Anxious to get that shiny new hunk of vaporware running on your T-Mobile EDGE network, are ya?

scoobydrew831

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I actually am. My dilemma is that there probably won't be a jailbreak for ios 5 for at least a few months after it is released, so I would have to keep using my ultrasn0w unlocked iPhone 4 on ios4 until a jailbreak comes out (if ever). So I am considering purchasing a factory unlocked iphone 4 (because it wasn't out when I bought my iP4 on day 2) so that I can use it on ios 5, but I would wait if I knew that there was going to be an iPhone 5 that was factory unlocked from day one.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Here in Canada as well as other parts of the world where unlocked iPhones were sold they all launched on the same day. The iPhone 4 was the first factory unlocked iPhone the US got that is why it was sold after not because Apple chose to do it that way but because of probably contracts and other things we mere mortals don't know about. Now that the precedent has been set I'm willing to bet the US will have it like the rest of the world and a Factory unlocked version will be sold on launch day. The only thing I never understood is in the US unless you travel what is the point of the factory unlocked since you really can only use it on AT&T anyway.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I actually am. My dilemma is that there probably won't be a jailbreak for ios 5 for at least a few months after it is released, so I would have to keep using my ultrasn0w unlocked iPhone 4 on ios4 until a jailbreak comes out (if ever). So I am considering purchasing a factory unlocked iphone 4 (because it wasn't out when I bought my iP4 on day 2) so that I can use it on ios 5, but I would wait if I knew that there was going to be an iPhone 5 that was factory unlocked from day one.

Settle in bud, you're going to be waiting for your answer for a while...

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Well that all depends... It's not apple's choice on whether or not it is sold unlocked, the carriers will decide how they wish to sell it. The only thing apple will have any control over is the price it will be sold at. But, and this is all speculation, I think verizon will start selling an unlocked/retail version right away because they make a ton of profit of people buying phones out of contract which a lot of people will want to do when the iphone5 comes out if they're aren't eligible for an upgrade

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77