have same tone for all notifications??

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i noticed today when i got an SMS that it was the exact same tone as my email (tri-tone) and as my calendar and as every other notification. i went into Settings>Sounds and tried to change the tone for "New Text Message". the standards are listed there (Tri-tone, Chime, Glass...) but no matter which i switch to all i hear is the BONG sound for default email.

i am JB and did have dTunes and AnyRing installed. have not deleted these apps, but have disabled them both and done a full power cycle of iPhone. haven't been home today in order to try a restore (which i hope not to have to do) yet.

has anyone else experienced any weird tone issues?

BTW, i've got a 3GS running 3.0.1. never had any issues like this until today. weird.

Last edited:

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Odd that it just started doing that!

But, try powering the iPhone off, and back on, and see what happens.

Also, I use MailTones, and noticed that today it's not working. Weird...

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
**update**

found i had dTunes, AnyRing AND ToneFX installed. i removed all 3 and now have my default tones working correctly again. didn't even have to do a restore. go figure.

i might try to install ToneFX again, but will test it after installation. must have been one of those 3 apps causing my problem.

just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else encounters similar problems.