What is the dang problem with the battery life in my iPhone 4s??

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to think AT&T's new 4S network maybe the culprit.

The fact that the AT&T iPhone is the only iPhone at this time that can do cellular data and phone calls at the same time maybe a factor also. I'm thinking this will change with the release of the iPhone 5 because the 5 year exclusivity deal AT&T had with Apple will be over. Even though other carriers have the iPhone AT&T is still exclusive being able to do data and calls simultaneously.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
If it's still wearing down after a few normal charge cycles make them replace it.

This one's actually a replacement my local AT&T store gave me out of the kindness of their managers heart...since my nearest Apple store is a 3-hour+ drive for me in St. Louis. That, and it's a bloody PITA to set up a new phone as a new one.

I'm really hoping this one decides to fix itself before long.

Heck, I might just accept it and invest in a Mophie Juicepack Plus!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I just bought another iPhone 4s after mine was stolen from my workplace, and I am shocked by the shortness of battery life in the new one! Actually, it's my new replacement since my local AT&T corporate store manager was kind enough to allow me to exchange my first one in-store since my nearest Apple store is close to 200-miles away. And, I exchanged the first one because the battery life sucked so bad. It is MUCH worse than any other iPhone I've ever had.

Before you tell me all the ways to conserve battery life, let me tell you I have:

*Turned off Siri (why should I have to?)
*Turned off Location services ( why should I have to?)
*Turned off most notifications (why should I have to?)
*Turned screen brightness down to 50%
*Turned off auto dim on screen
*Turned off WiFi (why should I have to?)
*Been diligent about keeping all apps turned off that run in the background

Still, after pulling the phone off of an overnight charge at 100% at 7am...I am down to 20% by 2pm!! And, I am far from a "power user". I will never play a game or listen to much music.

The phone is running the 5.1.1 OS out of the box, and the phone shows it is using AT&T 4G network for data.

So...is it 5.1.1 or the AT&T 4S that's drinking my battery power?

maybe you got a refurb, or simply a dud. return to apple store or at&t.

coolqf

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The first three days I try to keep the phone by wifi and connected so that it does all the backing up and syncing that it wants to. After day four battery pretty much normalizes

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I just bought another iPhone 4s after mine was stolen from my workplace, and I am shocked by the shortness of battery life in the new one! Actually, it's my new replacement since my local AT&T corporate store manager was kind enough to allow me to exchange my first one in-store since my nearest Apple store is close to 200-miles away. And, I exchanged the first one because the battery life sucked so bad. It is MUCH worse than any other iPhone I've ever had.

Before you tell me all the ways to conserve battery life, let me tell you I have:

*Turned off Siri (why should I have to?)
*Turned off Location services ( why should I have to?)
*Turned off most notifications (why should I have to?)
*Turned screen brightness down to 50%
*Turned off auto dim on screen
*Turned off WiFi (why should I have to?)
*Been diligent about keeping all apps turned off that run in the background

Still, after pulling the phone off of an overnight charge at 100% at 7am...I am down to 20% by 2pm!! And, I am far from a "power user". I will never play a game or listen to much music.

The phone is running the 5.1.1 OS out of the box, and the phone shows it is using AT&T 4G network for data.

So...is it 5.1.1 or the AT&T 4S that's drinking my battery power?

Everything takes power. The iPhone 4S is running on the same 3G/HSPA+ network as every other phone on the network. Those dual core processors also seem to eat up battery.

Restore as new and see if that improves. But more than likely that's just how it is going to be. Try turning your brightness down too.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The fact that the AT&T iPhone is the only iPhone at this time that can do cellular data and phone calls at the same time maybe a factor also. I'm thinking this will change with the release of the iPhone 5 because the 5 year exclusivity deal AT&T had with Apple will be over. Even though other carriers have the iPhone AT&T is still exclusive being able to do data and calls simultaneously.

Negative, the reason the iPhone does not do voice/data at the same time on Sprint or Verizon is because CDMA technology simply cannot achieve this task. It has absolutely nothing to do with any exclusive feature agreements.

Any phone that is doing this on Verizon is doing data over LTE and voice over CDMA. It may be possible the next iPhone will function this way until everything is moved to LTE networks.

DZD

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Something is wrong with the phone - while I can appreciate the multitude of comments indicating that it may be this or that - the bottom line is that you got a new replacement phone and the battery life is notably worse.

On a similar note - I've had my 4S since last November - last week something unusual happened - the battery drained down to zero % - I usually charge it for short times throughout the day to keep it going - since that time, my battery now drains a lot faster - i've done the usual stuff and I've recycled it a few times all to no avail.

The good news is that I got mine through work - I'm hoping to that I can replace it for the new iPhone later this week. :)

Good luck with yours - I sympathize - since it's a 3 hour drive you may want to call them and let them know what happened - maybe they'll send you one and you can send your current one back.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4