• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

VOTE: Ban Politics in forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This thread is... Well.

Just wow. Politics, religion, race... I want to talk about technology!

Well, even Tim Cook is trying to appease minorities by consulting with Jesse Jackson on how to make Apple products more racially diverse. And I have no idea what that leads to. A black emoji character?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, even Tim Cook is trying to appease minorities by consulting with Jesse Jackson on how to make Apple products more racially diverse. And I have no idea what that leads to. A black emoji character?

Because Jesse Jackson speaks for all or even a majority of black people. As Blackman I have to ask who
do whites go to get the white
opinion? What would be a racially diverse apple product, I'm black I'm intrigued and waiting for you to tell me what it is I want.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Because Jesse Jackson speaks for all or even a majority of black people. As Blackman I have to ask who
do whites go to get the white
opinion? What would be a racially diverse apple product, I'm black I'm intrigued and waiting for you to tell me what it is I want.

I already indicated I have no idea where this leads. Maybe something good! What suggestions would you think Jackson would offer? I'm just a bit puzzled by it. Enlighten me. What ideas do you yourself have?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I already indicated I have no idea where this leads. Maybe something good! What suggestions would you think Jackson would offer? I'm just a bit puzzled by it. Enlighten me. What ideas do you yourself have?

You utterly miss my point. Why are blacks looked as one monolithic group with some imaginary leader that some whites have decided is Jesse Jackson?

I think it's a ridiculous idea in the first place being black that anyone would think somehow my blackness would have anything to do with me purchasing or not purchasing an apple product. Finally, it's even more insulting that you keep shoving Jesse Jackson in my face as though I'm looking for a spokesperson and can't speak for myself. maybe it leads to America stop thinking they can generalize and lump blacks into a group. You ever notice if one black person does something it becomes a reflection on he entirety of blacksdom, why doesn't the same happen with whites?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

It was probably about the workplace hiring practices at Apple. If it was about the device sales then maybe they talked about marketing practices. Lastly Tim probably just generally asked where they could do better. What were they missing. Possibly it was also about school programs using Apple products. Or maybe it wasn't about Apple at all and they talked about a charity opportunity.

Where is the controversy here?

A 'black' phone. Wow. That is a head slapper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
It was probably about the workplace hiring practices at Apple. If it was about the device sales then maybe they talked about marketing practices. Lastly Tim probably just generally asked where they could do better. What were they missing. Possibly it was also about school programs using Apple products. Or maybe it wasn't about Apple at all and they talked about a charity opportunity.

They already have space grey

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You utterly miss my point. Why are blacks looked as one monolithic group with some imaginary leader that some whites have decided is Jesse Jackson?

I think it's a ridiculous idea in the first place being black that anyone would think somehow my blackness would have anything to do with me purchasing or not purchasing an apple product. Finally, it's even more insulting that you keep shoving Jesse Jackson in my face as though I'm looking for a spokesperson and can't speak for myself. maybe it leads to America stop thinking they can generalize and lump blacks into a group. You ever notice if one black person does something it becomes a reflection on he entirety of blacksdom, why doesn't the same happen with whites?

I totally agree with you! I get it. That's why I was puzzled. But Scatabrain may have hit it with hiring practices and other internal issues not related to a device.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I hadn't thought of some of those issues. I had my head stuck in my iPhone. Thanks. You're probably right. For whatever it's worth, I do prefer a black iPhone.

iamtim

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
So... I didn't bother reading the posts between the first one and my reply because it looks like it just degraded into a political debate.

For what it's worth, I *hate* political discussions on non-political forums. This is iMore, a site for discussing Apple technology. There are plenty of forums out there made specifically for political discussions. There should be no political discussions here.

So I vote "yes".

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
So... I didn't bother reading the posts between the first one and my reply because it looks like it just degraded into a political debate.

For what it's worth, I *hate* political discussions on non-political forums. This is iMore, a site for discussing Apple technology. There are plenty of forums out there made specifically for political discussions. There should be no political discussions here.

So I vote "yes".

I hate discussions about discussing political forums on non-political forums.

So I vote , maybe! I'm going the the third quantum state!

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Troll+Face.jpg

I hate discussions about discussing political forums on non-political forums.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #2: Cite Real-Life Sources

As I’ve said, Man Boobz’s original tagline was “I mock it,” but that was hardly the only tool we used. Pecunium agreed with this strategy, but he also was particularly good at unleashing the Credible Hulk and fighting facts pulled straight from trolls’ butts with real sources. It was only after getting hit with the fire hose stream of opinions on Man Boobz (at that point, comment threads regularly went over 400) that I fully realized how vital original sources really were, as opposed to a formality in academic papers. A troll might continue in the same vein as before after you posted the original version of what a long-dead feminist said, but in the process, they made themselves look pretty stupid.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #3: Retain Some Humility

The emphasis on citations also made me realize for the first time how uninformed most of my own opinions were. For example, I might argue passionately that dental dams needed to be used for all sex, only to have it brought up that there’d never been a definitive study done on them. I found that there were multiple sources for the number of women raped in the U.S. (though it was still a serious problem) and that there was actual medical reasoning behind banning partners of bisexual people from giving blood. Even though I might have a better handle on, say, evolution than the average troll, my ignorance was still more insidious than I had previously given it credit for. Today I still try to keep that in mind even when arguing for “the right side of history.” A little humbleness is good, even when your goal is to flip your opponent out of the ring.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #4: Give ‘em the Snark

Man Boobz also taught me that tearing into the trolls with snark can serve as a kind of stress relief, a benefit that I’d never imagined back when the advice I most often received for dealing with nasty people on the Internet was “ignore them.” My hunger for blood was never as great as when I was living in a frustrating housing situation where my housemate seemed bound and determined to check off every box of bigot bingo, regularly announcing that black people didn’t belong in a fantasy series or that non-gendered pronouns were nonsensical. To that end, one of my most satisfying memories is of spending almost an hour on the Man Boobz forum, systematically shredding a nerdy dudebro who had unwisely claimed that Game of Thrones had rape in it because that made it “historical.” Doing the same to people I lived with might have endangered my living situation, but my online shenanigans allowed me to brush off their real-life arguments with much less frustration.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #5: Be Creative

Of course, snarking back means you may lose the moral high ground in some people’s eyes, but as long as you’re not threatening them with death or posting their home address, creative smackdowns are a perfectly acceptable response to someone who thinks you’re lesser simply due to your genitalia. One of the more effective anti-troll methods the Man Boobz crew discovered was to take a troll’s more nonsensical statements and form a Mad Libs-style game out of them. Perhaps due in part to the usual “don’t feed the trolls” advice, many of our cruelest commentators seemed honestly shocked that we decided to fight back and would often flounce in confusion when they couldn’t come up with something equally amusing.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #6: Feed the Trolls Until They Explode

Finally, Man Boobz offered something that I had previously never had on the Internet and unfortunately can’t be easily replicated: We were a posse. The privilege of having a group on your side wasn’t something I fully appreciated until I tried to take on a nasty xoJane comment section alone. The result was the written equivalent of Johnny Storm vs. the billion monsters: a very pretty flare with nothing to show for it.

Having a buddy (or five) doesn’t necessarily mean you’re in the right, but having enough backup that you can flood a thread with body-positive messages means that a lot of trolls will give up and start crying that no one’s listening to them rather than continue to post about how ugly fat ladies are. On Man Boobz, we called it “feeding the trolls until they explode” (though I’m sure the term didn’t originate with us). As result of getting piled on, the trolls would often break out the gendered insults — specifically forbidden by Man Boobz’s mod rules — and then David would just have to perform clean-up by banning them. (Different article, but definite community rules and a firm hand on the ban button also have their place in troll control.)

6 Ways to Fight Trolls Instead of Starving Them.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #1: Mock Mercilessly

Where Man Boobz really helped me personally, however, was that it taught me how to “win” on the Internet (as dubious a distinction as that may be). Unlike stereotypical high school debates, where you get points for using specific reasoning strategies, Man Boobz was an arena where you had to fight all comers. There were people who used three-dollar words to dress up worthless ideas, people who would simply regurgitate the same talking points over and over no matter how you tried to get clarification on said talking points, or people who would spend hundreds of words arguing for a subject they only had a passing familiarity with. In an environment like this, speaking nicely to people and never pulling out the capital letters wouldn’t even put a dent in their 2,000 word screeds, so the core group of Man Boobz commentators had to develop new strategies.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #2: Cite Real-Life Sources

As I’ve said, Man Boobz’s original tagline was “I mock it,” but that was hardly the only tool we used. Pecunium agreed with this strategy, but he also was particularly good at unleashing the Credible Hulk and fighting facts pulled straight from trolls’ butts with real sources. It was only after getting hit with the fire hose stream of opinions on Man Boobz (at that point, comment threads regularly went over 400) that I fully realized how vital original sources really were, as opposed to a formality in academic papers. A troll might continue in the same vein as before after you posted the original version of what a long-dead feminist said, but in the process, they made themselves look pretty stupid.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #3: Retain Some Humility

The emphasis on citations also made me realize for the first time how uninformed most of my own opinions were. For example, I might argue passionately that dental dams needed to be used for all sex, only to have it brought up that there’d never been a definitive study done on them. I found that there were multiple sources for the number of women raped in the U.S. (though it was still a serious problem) and that there was actual medical reasoning behind banning partners of bisexual people from giving blood. Even though I might have a better handle on, say, evolution than the average troll, my ignorance was still more insidious than I had previously given it credit for. Today I still try to keep that in mind even when arguing for “the right side of history.” A little humbleness is good, even when your goal is to flip your opponent out of the ring.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #4: Give ‘em the Snark

Man Boobz also taught me that tearing into the trolls with snark can serve as a kind of stress relief, a benefit that I’d never imagined back when the advice I most often received for dealing with nasty people on the Internet was “ignore them.” My hunger for blood was never as great as when I was living in a frustrating housing situation where my housemate seemed bound and determined to check off every box of bigot bingo, regularly announcing that black people didn’t belong in a fantasy series or that non-gendered pronouns were nonsensical. To that end, one of my most satisfying memories is of spending almost an hour on the Man Boobz forum, systematically shredding a nerdy dudebro who had unwisely claimed that Game of Thrones had rape in it because that made it “historical.” Doing the same to people I lived with might have endangered my living situation, but my online shenanigans allowed me to brush off their real-life arguments with much less frustration.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #5: Be Creative

Of course, snarking back means you may lose the moral high ground in some people’s eyes, but as long as you’re not threatening them with death or posting their home address, creative smackdowns are a perfectly acceptable response to someone who thinks you’re lesser simply due to your genitalia. One of the more effective anti-troll methods the Man Boobz crew discovered was to take a troll’s more nonsensical statements and form a Mad Libs-style game out of them. Perhaps due in part to the usual “don’t feed the trolls” advice, many of our cruelest commentators seemed honestly shocked that we decided to fight back and would often flounce in confusion when they couldn’t come up with something equally amusing.

Troll-Fighting Tactic #6: Feed the Trolls Until They Explode

Finally, Man Boobz offered something that I had previously never had on the Internet and unfortunately can’t be easily replicated: We were a posse. The privilege of having a group on your side wasn’t something I fully appreciated until I tried to take on a nasty xoJane comment section alone. The result was the written equivalent of Johnny Storm vs. the billion monsters: a very pretty flare with nothing to show for it.

Having a buddy (or five) doesn’t necessarily mean you’re in the right, but having enough backup that you can flood a thread with body-positive messages means that a lot of trolls will give up and start crying that no one’s listening to them rather than continue to post about how ugly fat ladies are. On Man Boobz, we called it “feeding the trolls until they explode” (though I’m sure the term didn’t originate with us). As result of getting piled on, the trolls would often break out the gendered insults — specifically forbidden by Man Boobz’s mod rules — and then David would just have to perform clean-up by banning them. (Different article, but definite community rules and a firm hand on the ban button also have their place in troll control.)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, supposedly they are working on creating "more ethnically diverse" set of emojis.

Emoji finally get some racial diversity

It?s true that you cannot make this stuff up. SMH

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I had to laugh out loud at "... that some whites have decided is Jesse Jackson". That is HIS whole schtick. Jesse Jackson is a black activist and media whore. He manages to get himself in trouble until the trouble simply vanishes into thin air. A "reverend" without a church and with less morals. The Rainbow Coalition is a joke, and not much more than a front for Jackson's antics. Whites aren’t shoving Jackson in anyone's face. Jackson does it himself - he, Sharpton and Farrakhan manage to interject themselves into the limelight at every opportunity. To what end?

Just don’t try to blame this stuff on "some whites".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunnyville01