unlocking iPhone from ebay sellers question and need recommendation

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I read this on macrumors

Unauthorized Unlocking of New Mobile Phones Set to Become Illegal in U.S. - Mac Rumors

I am thinking of buying unlocking service from ebay sellers, my question would be if unlocking from ebay sellers would be the same as unlocking from AT&T officially or buying an unlocked phones from Apple direct. Will the phone perform just the same as if unlocking from AT&T or Apple? Will I still able to use the LTE on AT&T? I am not worried about 2G (GSM) and #G (WCDMA) as this is more clear cut in term of frequency assignment. The reason I ask is that I am worried about the LTE baseband as I see several iPhone 5 has different LTE baseband.

Second question would be if any of you can recommend any top reputable unlocking service from ebay. If my iPhone can perform exactly like if buying from Apple unlocked and do not lose any capability (able to upgrade to future iOS version without getting locked again), I would like to unlock it.

Thanks.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Right now, the unlock you purchase is the same as unlocking from AT&T or buying unlocked from Apple. They will, supposedly, not be available after this month.

I am happy to recommend unlockstreak.com. See their thread here in the jailbreak/unlock forum, where they have been giving away an unlock/day. Many of us have used them due to their generosity here.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would buy it now since tomorrow it will be illegal. Any seller on ebay will be fine since your backed buy PayPal you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my Nexus 4

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I would buy it now since tomorrow it will be illegal. Any seller on ebay will be fine since your backed buy PayPal you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Technically it will never be illegal for op...
He is "grandfathered" in.
Only devices sold after 1-25-13 will be covered by this new law.
Also it's a farce and won't stand up to judicial scrutiny, so it won't be illegal for long.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I noticed that I have to backup first and then restore. Does it mean all my files (including music and apps) would be deleted?

Also, will this affect the LTE band? anyone actually know how this unlocking works on the backend? I mean what exactly the unlocker people do ? I come from non Apple devices where to unlock, I just need to punch in a code and it's unlocked, very simple, but this is a bit different. Do they modify the iOS software on the backend (hence the requirement for us to restore the iOS)?

Thanks.

EDIT: What I meant by unlocking and able to use the iPhone in all over the world is if my iPhone can work with other LTE band. Like I said earlier, I am not worried about the GSM and WCDMA band, but more on the LTE band. If you see below LTE from Apple, if I unlock my AT&T version, should I be able to use my unlocked iPhone 5 on other LTE like in Germany, UK, Australia, Japan, or am I stuck on AT&T only?

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...ww.apple.com%2Fiphone%2FLTE%2F&token=Ox27Mef3

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I use forum member CarrierUnlock. He's always unlocked all of my devices for 5 years and now recently all of my iPhones. Sent him my imei on my i5 today and it was unlocked within minutes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77