Does getting a iPhone 13 pro replacement from apple effect trade in value

fresher1

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi all ,
I need some input. I received my iPhone 13 pro on launch day back in September and all was good until the other day when my phone would not get cell service . So I took it to the Apple Store and they couldn't figure out exactly what was going on with my phone . They weren't sure if it was something with the antenna or something with the SIM card reader so they ended up replacing the motherboard and battery'(the tech said it was a factory defect) . They said they replaced everything inside the phone expect for the camera stuff . They said it's considered an apple service replacement phone cause of the repairs they did . It now has a model number that starts with the letter N showing its a apple replacement device. My question is will having a iPhone 13 pro apple replacement device effect (lower) the trade in value down the road when I want to upgrade to a new iPhone ? Will I still be able to get the same trade in value as if apple didn't have to replace it ? Or does the trade in value become less because its a apple replacement device?? Thanks for any info . I googled it and looked on here before I posted this but there doesn't seem to be any info about it

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
“They replaced everything inside”? You mean they gave you a replacement? It’s been a while since I worked at Apple’s refurbishment but pulling the guts out and replacing everything would not be done for a first year device. You’d get a replacement. The replacement’s secondary market value would be the same.
I can’t speak to what your first year yet serviced branded part number phone’s value is. If it was me I’d launch the Apple Support app and ask them via chat. I’d even say I don’t want a ‘been serviced’ banded phone.
Post 1 year warranty? then I can understand ‘been serviced’.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I agree with the above post and would like to know if in fact they repaired your device?

Did you leave your device or send it in. How long did it take before you were back in position of your device?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi all ,
I need some input. I received my iPhone 13 pro on launch day back in September and all was good until the other day when my phone would not get cell service . So I took it to the Apple Store and they couldn't figure out exactly what was going on with my phone . They weren't sure if it was something with the antenna or something with the SIM card reader so they ended up replacing the motherboard and battery'(the tech said it was a factory defect) . They said they replaced everything inside the phone expect for the camera stuff . They said it's considered an apple service replacement phone cause of the repairs they did . It now has a model number that starts with the letter N showing its a apple replacement device. My question is will having a iPhone 13 pro apple replacement device effect (lower) the trade in value down the road when I want to upgrade to a new iPhone ? Will I still be able to get the same trade in value as if apple didn't have to replace it ? Or does the trade in value become less because its a apple replacement device?? Thanks for any info . I googled it and looked on here before I posted this but there doesn't seem to be any info about it

Welcome to iMore! I'm glad you found us!

fresher1

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
“They replaced everything inside”? You mean they gave you a replacement? It’s been a while since I worked at Apple’s refurbishment but pulling the guts out and replacing everything would not be done for a first year device. You’d get a replacement. The replacement’s secondary market value would be the same.
I can’t speak to what your first year yet serviced branded part number phone’s value is. If it was me I’d launch the Apple Support app and ask them via chat. I’d even say I don’t want a ‘been serviced’ banded phone.
Post 1 year warranty? then I can understand ‘been serviced’.

Edit / Delete #5
fresher1
No they didn't give me a replacement phone . It was a Apple Store in FL . They took the phone to the back and replaced all of the internals except for the camera module on my 3 and a half month old iPhone 13 pro. I had a screen protector on my iPhone so I know it was the same phone they gave back to me cause me screen protector is still on the phone but now it has a model number that starts with N instead of M showing its a apple replacement devise . I thought they would give me a entire new phone also . I have had a iPhone since the first day they came out and have never had any problems . Thanks for your input .
Today 10:18 AMLike
Quick reply to this message

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No they didn't give me a replacement phone . It was a Apple Store in FL . They took the phone to the back and replaced all of the internals except for the camera module on my 3 and a half month old iPhone 13 pro. I had a screen protector on my iPhone so I know it was the same phone they gave back to me cause me screen protector is still on the phone but now it has a model number that starts with N instead of M showing its a apple replacement devise . I thought they would give me a entire new phone also . I have had a iPhone since the first day they came out and have never had any problems . Thanks for your input .

That’s not normal. Your iPhone is the current flagship model and therefore they should have given you a completely new one. I am here in Orlando. Which  Store did this occur?

fresher1

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I agree with the above post and would like to know if in fact they repaired your device?

Did you leave your device or send it in. How long did it take before you were back in position of your device?

Thanks for the welcome . Yep they did in fact do the repair in the Apple Store . It took about a hour for them to do it . Gave me my iPhone back with my screen protector so it's the same iPhone . They said it's still considered a apple replacement devise cause of the repair / replacement of the internals. I thought I would receive a whole new replacement devise since they admitted it was a factory defect. Not sure what I can do about it now ? I was curious as to how this will effect my trade in value when I go to trade it in down the road? It doesn't seem right I would have to take a hit on trade in value because of a factory defect . Thanks for your input I am confused about what I should do at this point

fresher1

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
That’s not normal. Your iPhone is the current flagship model and therefore they should have given you a completely new one. I am here in Orlando. Which  Store did this occur?

It was at the Apple altamonte store in the mall. Any advise on what I should try and do at this point ?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It was at the Apple altamonte store in the mall. Any advise on what I should try and do at this point ?

I’m very familiar with that particular Apple Store and I’m surprised they did that. I recommend you follow the advice provided above by Up_and_Away. I’d also be calling Apple Support and asking why the store didn’t just replace your NEW iPhone instead of replacing the entire innards?

fresher1

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
I’m very familiar with that particular Apple Store and I’m surprised they did that. I recommend you follow the advice provided above by Up_and_Away. I’d also be calling Apple Support and asking why the store didn’t just replace your NEW iPhone instead of replacing the entire innards?

Thanks for your input I appreciate it .

fresher1

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
They owe you a brand new phone. That’s so wrong what happened

That's what I was thinking too lol . I don't understand how they didn't give me a new phone when two different techs said it's definitely a factory defect . They both said apple stuff is mass produced and sometimes things like this happen. I understand that things can get messed up on mass produced stuff but they should have gave me a new phone since my iPhone 13 pro was only about 3 and 1/2 months old. I did call apple and they said that apple has the right to repair or replace a defective phone . Apple also said that the Apple Store I went to probably didn't have any iPhone 13 pro models in stock to swap mine with . Said Apple is still experiencing shortages with all iPhone 13 pro models ( mines 256 Gb and he said lots of shortages on that model). The Apple rep on the phone said that the people in the Apple Store probably just wanted to have my phone working and since there are no replacement models they decided to swap the internals ( motherboard and battery ) . Guess I can't really do anything about it at this point . If anyone has any other advise please let me know . Thanks

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was thinking too lol . I don't understand how they didn't give me a new phone when two different techs said it's definitely a factory defect . They both said apple stuff is mass produced and sometimes things like this happen. I understand that things can get messed up on mass produced stuff but they should have gave me a new phone since my iPhone 13 pro was only about 3 and 1/2 months old. I did call apple and they said that apple has the right to repair or replace a defective phone . Apple also said that the Apple Store I went to probably didn't have any iPhone 13 pro models in stock to swap mine with . Said Apple is still experiencing shortages with all iPhone 13 pro models ( mines 256 Gb and he said lots of shortages on that model). The Apple rep on the phone said that the people in the Apple Store probably just wanted to have my phone working and since there are no replacement models they decided to swap the internals ( motherboard and battery ) . Guess I can't really do anything about it at this point . If anyone has any other advise please let me know . Thanks

Although it’s understandable, try calling the Apple Store at the Mall at Millenia and the one at the Florida Mall to see if they have any in stock. In addition, you can call Apple again and ask them to ship you a new replacement iPhone.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
They should had told u if they weee out of the model and I wouldn’t give up on getting a new replacement. Go to another apple store
Ask to speak to a manager either in store level or over the phone
I had had an issue with my 12 pro max and was told would replace if the reset didn’t fix it when it was 3 months into owning it.
So they can definitely make it right for you

fresher1

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Although it’s understandable, try calling the Apple Store at the Mall at Millenia and the one at the Florida Mall to see if they have any in stock. In addition, you can call Apple again and ask them to ship you a new replacement iPhone.

Will do thanks again for your input .

fresher1

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
They should had told u if they weee out of the model and I wouldn’t give up on getting a new replacement. Go to another apple store
Ask to speak to a manager either in store level or over the phone
I had had an issue with my 12 pro max and was told would replace if the reset didn’t fix it when it was 3 months into owning it.
So they can definitely make it right for you

Thanks for the info I will try speaking with a manager.

fresher1

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
So a little update on this . I tried to get them to give me a new phone and they would not do it . So I gave up on trying . Then on Saturday I had a weird glitch with my battery percentage meter . The Apple techs said this is so crazy they never saw it happen before . They were all trying to replicate the problem on their iPhone 13 pros and they couldn't.

So after a about two hours of them trying to figure out what was going on they decided to try and restore the phone and it fixed the weird battery indicator problem . They were like they never saw that and didn't know why it was doing that . Then yesterday morning when I charged my phone back up the same problem came back I was like this is getting absurd . So back to the Apple Store I went . After two hours of them trying to figure out what was going on they come back and told me that they are not going to replace the devise but they can open the phone again and change out the logic board and battery . I didn't know what to do . I told them and they saw that they just swapped out my logic board and battery just two weeks ago on Jan 11 and that I am having so many problems that they say they have never seen . So I asked the manager can I please just get a replacement phone . He said that they can't because Apple is doing repairs in phones that can be fixed instead of doing replacements . He said it all has to do with apples stance on cutting back on waste and energy . I was thinking I was just getting the run around . So I felt stuck with them as they weren't going to give me a replacement no matter what . So I had them open the phone again and replace the logic board and battery . I am at a loss with this whole ordeal .

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So a little update on this . I tried to get them to give me a new phone and they would not do it . So I gave up on trying . Then on Saturday I had a weird glitch with my battery percentage meter . The Apple techs said this is so crazy they never saw it happen before . They were all trying to replicate the problem on their iPhone 13 pros and they couldn't.

So after a about two hours of them trying to figure out what was going on they decided to try and restore the phone and it fixed the weird battery indicator problem . They were like they never saw that and didn't know why it was doing that . Then yesterday morning when I charged my phone back up the same problem came back I was like this is getting absurd . So back to the Apple Store I went . After two hours of them trying to figure out what was going on they come back and told me that they are not going to replace the devise but they can open the phone again and change out the logic board and battery . I didn't know what to do . I told them and they saw that they just swapped out my logic board and battery just two weeks ago on Jan 11 and that I am having so many problems that they say they have never seen . So I asked the manager can I please just get a replacement phone . He said that they can't because Apple is doing repairs in phones that can be fixed instead of doing replacements . He said it all has to do with apples stance on cutting back on waste and energy . I was thinking I was just getting the run around . So I felt stuck with them as they weren't going to give me a replacement no matter what . So I had them open the phone again and replace the logic board and battery . I am at a loss with this whole ordeal .

Please call Apple Support and express your disdain about this situation and how disappointed you are in Apple’s lack of understanding when they’re known for their great customer support, of which you’ve not experienced.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234