Tried unlocking - question about success?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Is there some way to tell if it was successful?

I don't have a sim card for another carrier. I do have some old AT&T sim cards from previous phones.

I tried putting one of those in. When I went into settings, I saw a button now for "carrier". However, this button did not appear again (even if I take the card out and put it in again).

Also, if I go into general, then about, I can click on "network", but I get a message saying the sim card is not provisioned.

Does this mean it is unlocked? Is there any way to tell if you don't have access to a different carrier sim card?

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I would like to know the answer to this too. Don't want to sell my old 3G as "unlocked" unless it really is.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Okat, I entered experiment mode. Here is what happened.

I have the iPhone 3GS, and the iPhone 3G (potentially unlocked). I have two sim cards, one of which came with each of the iPhone (and in theory only one of which should currently work - the one from the iPhone 3GS).

In my iPhone 3GS, the normal sim card works as it should. If I put the "old" sim card in, I get a message saying there is no service, and the sim card is not provisioned.

If I put my current sim card in the theoretically unlocked iPhone 3G, I get a message saying "different sim detected, please connect to iTunes". If I put the old sim card in, I get a no service message.

Can that information be used at all to determine if my phone is unlocked. I am in the same situation as Dooks - I want to advertise it as unlocked, but only if it really is.

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I guess I can go buy a $20 go phone from Tmobile or something.

I have a sinking feeling it isn't unlocked. :(

Chris

Last edited:

greenchipper

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Check unlock sucess

I walked into my local T-Mobile shop when they weren't busy and they were helpful and friendly and gave me one of their unassigned SIMs and configured it for their network - wap.voicestream.net (I think) and it shows T-Mobile as the carrier. I don't think they care. Any unlocked iPhone is more potential customers for them.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
If you installed ultrasn0w, it's unlocked. I just sold my 3G today as unlocked... guy popped his t-mobile sim in there and it worked fine.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Well, not quite true. I had ultrasn0w listed as installed, but when I put the t-mobile sim card is (I just bought a $20 pay as you go phone) is came back as not compatible when I connected to iTunes.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Well, I re-jailbroke it, but did NOT reinstall ultrasn0w, and now I see the t-mobile logo on the iPhone. So it is jailbroken and unlocked.

Chris

civickrazy78

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
i have an iphone 3g running 2.2.1 with firmware 02.30.03 already unlocked i want to unlock it to use with tmobile im using the turbo sim, can someone give me a link to use ultrasn0w or a how to guide so i dont have to use the turbo sim because the service goes in and out with the sim. thanks

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad