Traveling with the iPhone...I have questions!

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaving the country and would like to take my phone for pictures and stuff but I'd like to shut off the phone & data part so I don't get screwed in roaming and data charges. I knew how to do it with my blackberry, but I'm not sure how to do it with the iPhone. Any suggestions?

Also, if wifi is available could I safely hook into that?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm leaving the country and would like to take my phone for pictures and stuff but I'd like to shut off the phone & data part so I don't get screwed in roaming and data charges. I knew how to do it with my blackberry, but I'm not sure how to do it with the iPhone. Any suggestions?

Also, if wifi is available could I safely hook into that?

Settings -> Airplane Mode, it's the first option and will disable all the radios in your iPhone. You an then turn on wifi and it will remain in airplane mode with the cell radios disabled. You may also want to turn off cellular data and data roaming just be sure.

Settings -> General -> Network

Although with CDMA you probably won't get a signal anyway since just about every where else is GSM.

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So putting it into airplane mode disables the phone function but nothing else? Can I still play games, read books, watch movies, listen to music, etc?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
No, because Google Voice merely forwards to a phone number. If you want to make a phone call, find a WiFi spot and use Skype.

yanks19

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
talkatone... allows for making and receiving gv calls over wifi. look into it if you need wifi access to gv calling. i've used it a few times and it seems to work well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeahWells