sms privacy

Kev7777

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Just got a new iPhone. I keep the silent switch on, so that I can't tell when I've recieved a text untill I press the button. if I have recieved a text it displays on the welcome / home screen.

I was recently in a meeting at work, I pressed the button and a collegue was able to glimpse an exlicit message from my girlfriend. Is there anyway to turn that particular function off? The same happens when I am using the phone, sms messages pop up and are easily readable by others. I just want to know that I have received a text, I don't want it displayed. Is there a way to change this?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
You will have the option not to show the preview in 3.0 due out this summer, until then you can do a couple of things. Password protect your phone, which will just show you have a text but not preview the message or jailbreak and use a jailbreak sms client. FWIW if you use a password you can set the time for a long time so you do not have to enter the password everytime you turn the screen on.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
That is a feature I think that should be mentioned that wasn't. There should be an option to stop the pop up as well. If there is, haven't looked for it yet.

Kev7777

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
You will have the option not to show the preview in 3.0 due out this summer, until then you can do a couple of things. Password protect your phone, which will just show you have a text but not preview the message or jailbreak and use a jailbreak sms client. FWIW if you use a password you can set the time for a long time so you do not have to enter the password everytime you turn the screen on.

Many thanks.

Password? Do you mean the 4 digit pin? Because that doesn't work. The message is still displayed. What is jailbreak? :confused:

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Theres a feature in the phone right now that allows it to pop up, but not display the text.
Example:
New Text Message
Girlfriend

Thats all you're looking for.
Go to settings>passcode lock> SMS Preview OFF

Kev7777

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Brilliant - thanks very much

It's not worked!!??!? Just playing a game and have received an sms text half way through with preview of text? I can't use this as a business phone now, especially if I am worrying about texts popping up here and there.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Show SMS preview - OFF

A great phone but, this is just not private.

Slightly exasperated now.

Am I doing anything wrong?

:(

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
It sounds to me like you did it right. I'd just double check that you do indeed have your settings set this way and then soft reset your phone (hold down the power and home buttons for 10 seconds until the apple logo shows up).

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
That should probably be fine since it restarted. Is it working now?

And for future reference, you do not power down when it asks. Just continue to hold down the two buttons until the Apple logo appears. This is what's known as a soft reset.

Yes, the home button is the round button at the bottom.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
That's because you need to have it password protected and locked. Then it actually has to be in lock mode. If it's not, then you will see it.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
This means, when you were playing the game, it was not locked.

OH! Yes! I somehow missed the part about him playing a game. I believe you have to have it in sleep mode for it to be hidden. If you're actually using the phone, it'll still pop up.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I know this is not a real solution, but until Apple fixes this, I would just use one hand to cover the screen's view from other nosey people. If they're rude enough to glare at your screen, you can be rude enough to cover it with your hand. That should give them the hint.

Personally, I'm tired of curious people always wanting to watch what I'm doing on mine, or wanting to grab it. They can respect others' privacy and go to an Apple Store like I did... unless they don't mind me nosing through their purses and wallets.

Anyway... I hope you get it figured out. :eek:

dlnmorrow

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering about this too! I will invest in a privacy shield screen protector for the time being. I did notice that if the phone is locked & the show SMS preview is left off, it wont show the message, just that I received a msg.
Glad that its a user modifiable option in 3.0

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad