please help with my mail setup

toenniel

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I need some help/advice with my mail account setup, I've been searching the internet and forums and am finally posting in hopes someone can help.

Ok, here is what I would like to do on my iphone 3gs: setup my personal gmail account, setup my work email (which is on an exchange server) and sync my personal calendar (google calendar). I know there is only support for one exchange account so I would like to use this for google sync to get my google calendar and contacts synced to my phone. I was able to do this with no problem. To access my gmail, I set this up using the imap settings provided by gmail. Again, no problem here. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to setup my work email, which is on an exchange server, without using the exchange feature in my iphone. From my research I believe I need to set this up using IMAP correct? I was having trouble figuring out the incoming and outgoing mail servers. I did talk to my IT guy but I'm not sure he fully understood what I was asking because I kept saying enable IMAP and he kept talking about POP. Then he made it seem as though in order to set this up on my iphone he would have to completely change how our email accounts at the office are set up! I was under the impression that certain settings had to be enabled in order to access an exchange email on the iphone, not an entire revamping of the system.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with trying to do this? I have found bits and pieces of information, but I would love to find a really good explanation that I can provide to my IT guy so he understands what I am trying to do. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
My IT people where a little bambozzaled by it all to . I would say take your iphone with you to your IT department office and sit down with them and just go step by step on the IPhone . You do need the incoming and outgoing server adress from them and and passwords depending on you companies encryption , since I work for a Governement agency it took a little while to get everything approved .But just let them see what the iPhone is asking for and it should click with them .

toenniel

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Bengrimm, thanks that is probably what I'm going to have to do. Unfortunately I work at a small company so we don't have dedicated IT, we outsoure it to a company - so I will have to wait until they come in next. But you are right - it was confusing to explain over the phone and would probably be much easier if they could see what it was asking for. Thanks again.

toenniel

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
flyingember, thanks for your reply but I do not want to use the one activesync account allowed on my iphone for my work email. I would like to use this to sync my google account for calendar and contacts, so I need to figure out another way to add my work email account. From what I have found, the best way to do this is via imap.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
flyingember, thanks for your reply but I do not want to use the one activesync account allowed on my iphone for my work email. I would like to use this to sync my google account for calendar and contacts, so I need to figure out another way to add my work email account. From what I have found, the best way to do this is via imap.
if it's in Exchange they need to enable imap on the server.

if this is Exchange it has to be enabled and a firewall, if any, configured to allow outgoing imap traffic.

activesync is prefered most places because it only requires http traffic.

toenniel

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
My IT guy did say that imap was enabled on the server, however maybe it's the firewall settings that need to be changed. Like I said, it didn't seem like he understood exactly what I was asking. Does anyone know if there is a guide or writeup somewhere online that goes through the steps required to set this up both on the iphone side and the work server side? I am assuming that this is how people accessed their work email on the first generation iphone, before it even supported microsoft exchange, so it's not impossible to do.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
there are thousands of exchange setup guides.
there are thousands of exchange activesync setup guides

without knowing the firewall setup it's impossible to say how to setup that

db7472

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
port 4ward

I need some help/advice with my mail account setup, I've been searching the internet and forums and am finally posting in hopes someone can help.

Ok, here is what I would like to do on my iphone 3gs: setup my personal gmail account, setup my work email (which is on an exchange server) and sync my personal calendar (google calendar). I know there is only support for one exchange account so I would like to use this for google sync to get my google calendar and contacts synced to my phone. I was able to do this with no problem. To access my gmail, I set this up using the imap settings provided by gmail. Again, no problem here. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to setup my work email, which is on an exchange server, without using the exchange feature in my iphone. From my research I believe I need to set this up using IMAP correct? I was having trouble figuring out the incoming and outgoing mail servers. I did talk to my IT guy but I'm not sure he fully understood what I was asking because I kept saying enable IMAP and he kept talking about POP. Then he made it seem as though in order to set this up on my iphone he would have to completely change how our email accounts at the office are set up! I was under the impression that certain settings had to be enabled in order to access an exchange email on the iphone, not an entire revamping of the system.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with trying to do this? I have found bits and pieces of information, but I would love to find a really good explanation that I can provide to my IT guy so he understands what I am trying to do. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

The guides may indicate that outgoing mail needs to be sent via a specific port. ISPs open them for customers who have higher end cable internet packages. Your IT dept. would know more about port forwarding.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notforhire