OOW iPhone 4 NO SIM error. What to do now?

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I've got an iPhone 4 that is now giving me a NO SIM Installed error, usually within a few minutes of rebooting the phone, powering it on, or when coming out of airplane mode. I can remove the SIM card and reinsert it and it will connect, but then will disconnect after a few minutes.

So I also tried to put a few layers of tape on the back of the SIM card and reinserted it, but this doesn't seem to help either.

This afternoon, I visited my local Apple retail store, and notified them that the phone was out of warranty and asked them what they could do. The man who helped me was nice enough and took the phone into the back room to check inside and blow some air around. He returned about 5 minutes later and my phone was ringing. I answered the call quickly, but when I hung up, the SIM error popped up again.

The Apple Genius then told me that the SIM issue, as well as my Home button problem, could not be something easily fixed, and that I'd need to swap out the phone for a refubished model for $199. After slightly poo'ing myself, I declined since I told him the new iPhone was to be announced tomorrow (He acted like he had no clue of the pending announcement) and that I might just wait to upgrade to the new version.

Right now, I basically have one choice to get me back online, and that is to bring my 3GS out of retirement until something new comes along. But my question is, is there any place I can send the phone to get it repaired for a reasonable price? Has anyone else had this same issue and fixed there iPhone 4, and if so, what did you do? ANY help is appreciated at this point as I'm not ready to drop my iP4 just yet.

Thanks in advance.

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I actually just posted something similar in another thread, but if replacing the sim, reseating it, and cleaning the contacts doesn't work you don't really have a lot of options. If you are eligible for an upgrade the 4S looks very nice, but if not that $199 is the only way to get an authorized repair/replacement. You could always try some of those places that offer to repair phones, but none of them are authorized so YMMV. Check craigslist if you're curious about anyone local.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Hav you tried using some kind of electrical cleaner (the compressed air kind) I would try that. I seriously doubt something just happened to the sim and it needs to be replaced. Just seems like a dirt issue. Get a electronics cleaner that's safe on sensitive parts, sensors, etc that evaporates quick. Blow out the inside of the sim area on the phone itself with the compressed air. FYI I've never heard of your issue before. Was there any brutal drops or bangs to your phone to cause possible damage maybe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2