New Android Convert: iPhone 8Plus or XR?

Byrese

May 7, 2016
Visit site
I've never owned an iPhone before (Windows Phone and then Android user). But for several reasons I've decided to take the plunge into iOS. So the natural question is which phone to buy, 8Plus or XR? No XS or XS Max for me.

Now I know it comes down to personal preference but again (I've never had an iPhone before), so what do I need to know or consider between the two device (other than the obvious notch)?

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I've never owned an iPhone before (Windows Phone and then Android user). But for several reasons I've decided to take the plunge into iOS. So the natural question is which phone to buy, 8Plus or XR? No XS or XS Max for me.

Now I know it comes down to personal preference but again (I've never had an iPhone before), so what do I need to know or consider between the two device (other than the obvious notch)?

I went from the 8 plus to the XR a few months ago. I really love the XR in every way better than my 8+ except for the camera. I had huge doubts about FaceID but now wouldn’t go back to fingerprint ID. I thought I would miss having the button, but the swiping to get around the phone are awesome too!
The only regret I have is with the camera. Even though it takes really good pics , I just think the camera on the 8+ was better.
Hope this helps.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have the XR and love it. I actually went from the X to the XR and like the XR better. It is the perfect size for me and as they say "it just works"

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
8+ if you want Touch ID.

XR if you want Face ID.

I'm personally not sold on Face ID so I'm hanging into my 7+ a while longer.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the iOS family and to iMore!

I'm a bit biased because I have an 8 Plus which I really really love. It's hard to answer your question without knowing what your preferences are. As @Lee_Bo has pointed out, one big choice would be your preference between Touch ID and Face ID. I'm very fond of the Touch ID. Another big consideration for me would be the camera. And finally, while my beloved 8 Plus is still awesome it is admittedly one year older. While I'm certain that it will be eligible for updates for at least 3 more years, that may be a point in favor of the XR.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted on what you decide!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

If you can afford and iPhone XS or XS Max, go with one of those. If not, the iPhone X will not be a disappointment to you, in my opinion. As for the notch, I doubt you’ll even notice it much after a short period of time. The notch doesn’t hinder my use of my iPhone at all, but everyone is different in that regard.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

If your looking for advice going with the Xr is your best bet as the form factor will be similar to a large amount of Android devices

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
You have to decide on this but I'll offer these observations as an IT administrator and my relationship with the c suite and users. Both of the models discussed are popular with my associates.

For some the two camera feature is all important. A few of them have surprised me when they go for XS and Max after looking into 8 Plus but the best for photo, video and display weight their decisions.

For some the all screen design and a single good camera along with how good Office 365 is has them replacing old phones with the XR.

Full disclosure: I had 7 Plus, planned on XR, hesitated but now have no regrets with the Max. It ended up where the dual camera and screen size were a must but I also have a day job that makes them tools more than toys.

Byrese

May 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and all the advice. It was helpful.

I paid a visit to the Apple store to look at the two in person, ask questions, etc (I hardly but anything on a single visit). After looking at both, hands down the XR is the phone for me. Coming from Android not having a button actually works better. I found the screen to be amazing! Sure, the OLED on the XS and XS Max are a bit sharper but let's be honest, this screen is more than enough. And in the end, I much prefer the minimal bezel look.and the notch...I liked or better than I thought.

The next natural question is: do I get Apple care? That's probably a yes. I can get it in the upgrade program or with T-Mobile (if I get it through them) which is another decision.

Anyway, y'all have been a big help. Not sure when I'm gonna pull the trigger but it'll be soon (if my wife doesn't veto me ).

But I'll let y'all know when I've jumped.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The next natural question is: do I Apple care? That's probably a yes. I can get it in the upgrade program or with T-Mobile (if I get it through them) which is another decision.

I get AppleCare because of the way my job depends being so connected, and a physically active lifestyle. My wife is a much more cautious person than I am but somehow she has had more claims for damage.

My data center is walking distance from an AppleStore and I get business team service for other reasons to get it from Apple.

AppleCare is not the cheapest but a bad experience is rare.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl