Question M1 Mac Mini or M2 Mac Mini?

techfurry

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Hello,

I am switching to a mac mini due to vision problems. Everything I've read related to vision impairment says that the Macs are the best for accessibility.

but I have never used or owned one. I do own an iPhone SE (2020) and an iPad (entry level 10th gen) but I am unsure of which mac mini to get.

I need something that's going to last a while but also affordable. I don't need anything beyond the base level.

The M1 Mac Mini is 498 dollars refurbed from apple, the M2 is 635

I guess I am asking which one should I get? would the M1 last more than say 3 years as far as OS and Security updates go? Would it be better to try to raise the funds for an m2? my use case is just web browser, editing documents, writing short stories, and chatting on discord/telegram as well as watching twitch and youtube videos.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I am switching to a mac mini due to vision problems. Everything I've read related to vision impairment says that the Macs are the best for accessibility.

but I have never used or owned one. I do own an iPhone SE (2020) and an iPad (entry level 10th gen) but I am unsure of which mac mini to get.

I need something that's going to last a while but also affordable. I don't need anything beyond the base level.

I guess I am asking which one should I get? would the M1 last more than say 3 years as far as OS and Security updates go? Would it be better to try to raise the funds for an m2? my use case is just web browser, editing documents, writing short stories, and chatting on discord/telegram as well as watching twitch and youtube videos.
Welcome to iMore! I myself don’t have a Mac, but I’m sure people here will offer you lots of good advice .

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

You kind of can't go wrong either way with the M1 or the M2. That being said, if it's in your budget go for the M2 as you will get some extended life span over the M1.

techfurry

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
You kind of can't go wrong either way with the M1 or the M2. That being said, if it's in your budget go for the M2 as you will get some extended life span over the M1.

I think my budget might unfortunately be more geared for the M1. I just put up my windows based PC for sale. I'm asking $650 as it was upgraded for gaming (from 8GB to 16GB of RAM, R9 350 GPU, a secondary 1TB drive, etc.) but i'll take a good and reasonable offer.

that's why i was asking if there'd be a difference as far as patch-ability and updates :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The M1 is a beast and it’s as quiet as a dead mouse…;)

I believe you will be pleased with it and I also believe it should last you several years, depending on your computing needs

Reactions: Bla1ze

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I think my budget might unfortunately be more geared for the M1. I just put up my windows based PC for sale. I'm asking $650 as it was upgraded for gaming (from 8GB to 16GB of RAM, R9 350 GPU, a secondary 1TB drive, etc.) but i'll take a good and reasonable offer.

that's why i was asking if there'd be a difference as far as patch-ability and updates :)

I don't think you'll have any issues with the M1. Apple has a pretty solid track for updating older devices. I'm still on an M1 Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM and I see next to no reason to upgrade.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Hello,

An m1 Mac mini OS and sec patches will last far beyond 3 years.
Imho , given your use case, I’d recommend the 500$ M1 Mac mini refurb.

One other desktop option is to buy the base M1 IMac. They were just on sale at 1100. More than the 500 for Mini but consider what you get with iMac: 24” 4K monitor, Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse II, very good built in speakers. That’s probably 500$ added for a Mac Mini. And imac makes a desktop just about as neat and aesthetically pleasing as is possible. BOL…

Reactions: Just_Me_D

techfurry

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I apologize for not coming back sooner but life got in the way!

I just bought the m1 mac mini and it comes wednesday

So..any tips? (i turned on email notifications btw)

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I apologize for not coming back sooner but life got in the way!

I just bought the m1 mac mini and it comes wednesday

So..any tips? (i turned on email notifications btw)

Congratulations!

My tips #1 and #2: be open to some differences and enjoy your new device :)

techfurry

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
So, couple of months update (and if the mods need to remove this--go ahead)

Loving it. So good I don't think I'll ever go back to windows. I also have an iPad, an iPhone and I just bought a refurbed Mini 5.

Reactions: EdwinG and Annie_M

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods