• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Mail problems since iOS 11

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Been having problems with Mail since putting iOS 11 (and 0.1 and 0.2) on my 7+ and iPad 5th gen. I have my gmail account set to manual sync and the general "Fetch" settings to manual as well. However EVERY time I restart my phone or tablet the Mail app checks anyway. I don't want it to check at all since I use Inbox due to only using gmail. This worked fine on iOS 10.x. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I could "fix" the problem by just shutting off notification badges for Mail but that's not really a fix. Should I go into the account settings where the toggles are for mail, contacts, calendars, notes and shut off mail?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
By "restart", do you mean a hard reset? If so, how often do you do that?
I have mine set to Fetch hourly. But I have all notifications turned off. I only see new mail when I open the mail app. Don't recall about when I restart the phone. The only mail I get notifications for are the VIP.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
By "restart", do you mean a hard reset? If so, how often do you do that?
I have mine set to Fetch hourly. But I have all notifications turned off. I only see new mail when I open the mail app. Don't recall about when I restart the phone. The only mail I get notifications for are the VIP.

So I first noticed it each time the phone restarted when installing iOS 11, 11.0.1, and again 11.0.2. Also if I hold the power button then swipe to power off, then turn it back on.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I first noticed it each time the phone restarted when installing iOS 11, 11.0.1, and again 11.0.2. Also if I hold the power button then swipe to power off, then turn it back on.

Those aren't things that happen very often. Not sure why it's a problem.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Those aren't things that happen very often. Not sure why it's a problem.

It just randomly did it this morning without any kind of restart. Not really sure of any other way to fix it so I just went in and turned off all notifications for Mail. May not stop it from checking but at least I won't know about it now.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It just randomly did it this morning without any kind of restart. Not really sure of any other way to fix it so I just went in and turned off all notifications for Mail. May not stop it from checking but at least I won't know about it now.

Yeah, and you can always go check at your convenience. You might also set up VIP. The VIP are the only ones I get notifications for. All the rest I'll see when I get around to it. LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blin