• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iWatch reliability…?

Sophia Strongylis

Sep 13, 2022
Visit site
I bought a iWatch 5 in 2019 and in August asked apple to change the battery. They were going to charge me a replacement watch cost of €280…. is iWatch’s disposable…..?
A technician inform me that older watches are redundant due to internal water leak.
Is the iWatch 8 more resistant to use in light swimming or in 3 year to be disposed….!! 😡😠

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I bought a iWatch 5 in 2019 and in August asked apple to change the battery. They were going to charge me a replacement watch cost of €280…. is iWatch’s disposable…..?
A technician inform me that older watches are redundant due to internal water leak.
Is the iWatch 8 more resistant to use in light swimming or in 3 year to be disposed….!! ????????????

Hello and welcome to iMore. I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Apple Watch.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Is the iWatch 8 more resistant to use in light swimming or in 3 year to be disposed….!! ������������

The Apple Watch Series 5 was water resistant - not waterproof. Maybe yours had some internal water damage.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is the iWatch 8 more resistant to use in light swimming or in 3 year to be disposed….!!

Your “Apple Watch”, as stated above is water resistant. I, too, have the Series 5 model and am not having issues with it. Then again, I’m not one to swim or bathe with it on even though I did wear it this summer while hanging out at a water park. In regard to the new Apple Watch Series 8, if you opt to get one, it should perform better than your Series 5 model.

Per Apple’s website, “Apple Watch Series 8 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810-2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 8 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and can diminish over time”

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman