• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Is Apple deliberately using iMessage to Bully people into leaving Android?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've heard anecdotal things like high school students working on a group project in a group jacket excluding an android user because they didn't want to be in a group SMS chat. I agree with you. The bullying comes from the users. Sad stuff.

I agree. It’s ultimately the users that choose to exclude others.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The answer to the question in the title is no.

Yes, Apple is happy if there are some people stay with iPhone or switch to iPhone in order to use iMessage. But "Bully" is the wrong term here.

One thing I will say is that I wish Apple would support RCS in addition to SMS and MMS in the messages app. The bubbles can stay green, but the messages app should handle industry standard messaging tied to carrier networks.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The word bullying is a very strong word. Its basic meaning is “abuse and mistreatment of someone vulnerable by someone stronger, more powerful, etc.”

Unfortunately I know all too well what being bullied feels like, and it’s the primary reason I’m an azzhole today. I rarely smile and I never let my guard down.

And now someone from Google (of all places) is describing Apple as that term to get users to switch from Android to Apple.

SHAME ON YOU GOOGLE!!!!!!

Just another reason I’ve started the PERMANENT transition to get 100% away from Google. With offline maps now with iOS 17 I’ve deleted Google Maps from my phone. Now the only two things left are to change my current streaming provider (YouTube TV) and get away from Gmail and go with either iCloud or Outlook as my primary address.

Bugger off, Google.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That claim about Apple deliberately using iMessage colors to bully Android users sounds pretty absurd to me. Personally, I barely use iMessage myself, as I'm more inclined towards other messaging platforms. Whenever I do receive messages on iMessage, they're usually reminders from different stores or service providers.

Better be careful, what’s app was caught eavesdropping, typical Facebook.

40a8e1233e7976aa584c81538848a25d.jpg