iPhone 5 SIM swap isses? (AT&T)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Has anyone had any issues with swapping out their iPhone 5 SIM and putting it in another LTE or HSPA+ phone used on the AT&T network? And yes, I have a SIM adapter. I've heard that some people have issues with the data not working and having to call to get it working. Just curious if any of you gentleman/ladies have had issues because I have a Lumia 920 and Nexus 4 (soon) on the way.

Thanks for the feedback!

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
It should work fine. The only problem I could see happening is if you put your SIM in a Blackberry (lol), a lot of the services that require a Blackberry plan wouldn't work. But you should be okay :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It should work fine. The only problem I could see happening is if you put your SIM in a Blackberry (lol), a lot of the services that require a Blackberry plan wouldn't work. But you should be okay :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope so. I've never had issues previously swapping SIM's but heard someone else have issues and has to call to have the SIM provisioned just like you would if you were swapping with a BB.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I hope so. I've never had issues previously swapping SIM's but heard someone else have issues and has to call to have the SIM provisioned just like you would if you were swapping with a BB.

Last year I returned my first iphone 4S ( paid full price so I didn't renew my contract ) , I ordered the replacement thru the Apple website and I got an activation error when I tried to put my previous activated sim card on the new phone, had to call at&t to make the switch..

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I was told that IPhone 5 data is provisioned differently than other 4g/LTE phones so just swapping like we've done in the past won't work.

Sent from my 64GB iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I was told that IPhone 5 data is provisioned differently than other 4g/LTE phones so just swapping like we've done in the past won't work.

Sent from my 64GB iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Some people seem to have issues while others don't. Exactly why I came here to see what you guys had to say. :)

Vincent Jimenez

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Im having problems too with the iPhone 5 after I swapped its sim with a nano sim from an ipad mini with unlimited Lte activated. Now the iPhone 5 only shows "4G" and not LTE. When I turn off the LTE in the settings, it doesnt give me data at all (3g/4g), and when i turn it on, it only shows 4G. When I put back the nano sim into the iPad mini it connects to LTE so I know Im in an area where there is LTE (Los Angeles). The nano sim from the iPad mini has been activated with Unlimited data - LTE, and Ive downloaded the correct apn settings on the iPhone 5 for data to work. I already tried resetting network settings, hard reset, and restore as new iPhone, but it still wont connect to Lte. I have read in a lot of support sites from apple and at&t that the iPhone 5 needs to be "provisioned?" in order to connect to the LTE network. Is this true, like you can't just sim swap like GSM is supposed to work? Is there a way for the iPhone 5 to connect to LTE?

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on AT&T but I had that problem with Verizon I had a nano sim that was previously activated and tried swapping it out with another device and after 3 long days of vzw and me trying to get it activated we both finally gave up and sent me a new sim after swap I couldn't make calls my data was active just couldn't get voice version to activate.

shafferb

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I guesss my issue is a bit different than many here. I have the Verizon iPhone 5 and just for grins I cut down my active AT&T sim card to nano size, powered it up, and lo and behold, I was on AT&T. I didn't have a data plan on that card, but voice calls in and out to the AT&T number worked just fine. Only reason for my testing this is that I travel back and forth to Panama several times a year, and like to just be able to swap in my Panamanian (Movistar network) sim card. So it seems that the Verizon version really is an international phone. Got to have both CDMA and GSM radios in it to do this, I believe. Love to hear if others have tried this as well.

PS: I bought a little Sim cutter with several adapters on eBay for about 5 bucks, direct from China. Works like a treat.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I tested was putting my nano sim in my 4S with a sim adapter. HSPA+ data worked just fine. Put the sim back into my 5 and LTE worked fine.

I've also downloaded the correct APN settings onto my iPad 3 and put my nano sim in there with an adapter and got LTE working fine on there too.

I guess none of this is no use since I don't have any devices to test the actual subject that the OP made.

I kinda don't get why other devices would be provisioned differently for LTE. I understand the Blackberry. It requires a different data provision. But others seems weird to me.

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Installed my nano sim into my LG Optimus G and everything is working perfectly. I didn't have to change any settings at all. If some of you are having issues make sure you are using the correct APN settings.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

fadisamara

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
How did you make this work and where did you download the APN from?

I have an iPhone 5 for work purposes which I primarily use for data. I also have an iPad Mini (AT&T). I took out the SIM from the iPhone and put it into the iPad and didn't work out of the box. I downloaded the APN from unlockit and I am only getting 4G, while when I put back my sim into the iPhone I get LTE.

Can you share how did it? I appreciate

FS

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
How did you make this work and where did you download the APN from?

I have an iPhone 5 for work purposes which I primarily use for data. I also have an iPad Mini (AT&T). I took out the SIM from the iPhone and put it into the iPad and didn't work out of the box. I downloaded the APN from unlockit and I am only getting 4G, while when I put back my sim into the iPhone I get LTE.

Can you share how did it? I appreciate

FS

Pretty sure APN can't be edited without jailbreak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zijinqingqing555