iPhone 4 Reception Issue: Does it effect you?

Do you have the reception issue?

• Total voters

charliej66

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
With the "death grip" on my iPhone 4, I can get it as low as one bar at times, but not past that. I've never lost service or dropped a call. My 3GS does exactly the same thing.

ddot196

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yep I have checked my 3g in low areas and it will do the same thing. It's nothing new really. Like most people have said, since Apple put the strip there it might as well be a bulls eye. People KNOW where to screw with the phone if they want to. I can actually remember my really crappy Nokia phone wayyy back in the days that would always drop signal when I held it. I didn't realize it at the time but in retrospect it was probably the same thing. Phones have antennas, humans and antennas do not get a long.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 with 4.0.1 with absolutely no "death grip" or dropped call problems whatsoever.
web2l.png

ssampath

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
When holding it by the Jobs method - I get 5.1 Mb downstream and 1.2 Mb upstream.
With the death grip I get 1.6Mb downstream and 200Kb upstream.

Death grip or no death grip my kids need new iPods and new phones - so will likely be a 4 iPhone 4 family soon.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
No dropped bars. No dropped calls. My 9700 gets better bars but drops more calls. (weird) the 4.0.1 if it is an honest portrayal of signal strength, all I can say is that AT&T sucks.

jMunar

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
When I try to replicate the death grip it only goes down to about 2-3 bars and occasionally 1 but never lost reception or dropped a call since owning my iPhone 4 and yes I have 4.0.1.

elementbt

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
@bova80 thats a great idea.. Problem is completely gone? I got the zagg invisible shield but only for the front and back.. is there a way to just get the sides now or would i have to buy the whole damn thing again lol

jrl#IM

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I definately have the problem despite living and working in the Minneapolis metro area. The variability of signal strength ranging from "Searching" to 5 bars is much more apparent on my 4 compared to my 3GS. While I avoid touching the "spot" I still tend to get dropped or missed calls.

I am able to visit some areas of the city where I get 5 bars and I am unable to lower them by touching the spot. I assume I am near a cell site. In other areas I can fluctuate from 1 bar to 5 bars depending on the direction I am facing. I assume I am between two cell sites and connecting to one or the other. This is also apparent when I drop a call and when I attempt to reconnect I have 5 bars again. This type of volitility in getting a connection may be due to the fact that AT&T has too few cell sites in parts of my city and is why others may not be experiencing the issue.

I read in another thread where someone turned off 3G on their phone and they were getting better connections. I tried this and the incidence of dropped and missed calls was dramatic. With 3G on while at my desk at work, I get 4 bars yet I miss 50%+ of incoming calls. When I turned 3G off, I get 5 bars and I have not missed a call in 3 days. While this is a short period to test, it is remarkably different with 3G off. As a test today, I turned 3G back on and both test calls were not picked up by the iPhone.

I believe that the issues we are observing are a combination of the radio that Apple has in the iPhone and possibly the software that manages it as well as the AT&T network both from a cell site placement perspective and possibly the load on their network.

I think my phone in the AT&T network area that I am in has a really tough time passing from once site to the next while standing still or mobile. This may be why making and receiving calls is so problematic. Where exactly the problem lies is something that I hope Apple and AT&T can resolve, soon.

In the mean time, I will keep my iPhone 4 because I like the size & feel and some of the features only available on the 4. I can live with 3G off because I use wifi at home and work.

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I just swapped my iPhone 4 yesterday at the Apple store - no questions asked.

I had over 35 dropped calls since launch day (I do a moderate amount of talking on the phone). Apple said more than likely is was a defective unit - I'd tend to agree as my 4 friends with iPhone 4's that all live within 5 miles of me (rural area) have not dropped more than 1 or 2 calls. So far, so good - though I haven't made more than 3 calls I believe.

Part of my dropped calls was because of my house - I get relatively poor service however, I dropped a reasonable amount of calls outside and around work/my local area. Before everyone jumps on the "you're admitting you have poor service in your house" thing - I'd like to note that in the year that I had my 3GS I believe I had approximately 3 dropped calls. That's it.

Like I said, so far so good - we'll see how it goes though.

anon721037

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi in the response to blackberry saying they dont have this issue well i have a storm 2 9550 and it does have the same issue, so i really believe they all have this problem.

FireFish

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Heck yeh there's reception issues

It's only clear as day that when I get in my car now (which has a bluetooth connection to my iPhone 4), the display shows 1-2 bars MAYBE whereas my iPhone 3GS CONSISTENTLY had 4-5 bars. And don't give me this garbage about algorithms because they're not that off. And yes, I AM using a bumper on my iPhone 4.

So why don't I return it? Because I am pissed that Apple had all this hype & didn't come through. Returning it isn't going to make me a happier person. Apple FIXING the issue the right way so that I shouldn't NEED a bumper just to get any reception at all isn't the right way of fixing this issue!! :mad:

I am beyond disappointed at Apple for their general negligence and unreliable help.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizayoni