iOS 8 Hopes

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I want two additional things from iOS 8:

1) nested folders/notes with attachment upload for the stock Notes App
2) a cloud storage service for both phone and web (like Drive or DropBox)

There is several iOS functionality items I would like Apple to bring back:

1) weather ICONS in NC
2) calendar events ONLY in NC not a 4 hour time period

That's all I can remember for now. So want does everyone else want to be implemented or brought back.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd actually like to see Renee's files.app idea implemented, or something like it. Right now only photos and videos can be centralized. I'd like to see that expanded to certain document types at the very least.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping Apple brings a few new features that would round out the OS and make it easier to use and more efficient for users.

Access to playlists from the lock screen - I listed this in my What I want in iOS 7 thread last year. It never happened and now the JB community shows what it would be like.
Pluck 2 - pick songs and play directly from Lock screen

Up Next feature in music app - Like in iTunes I want the Up Next feature where I can setup the list of songs I want to play. Playlists are huge now and with Shuffle there are still times you listen to a song and then you want a specific song to play next. In combination with the above feature this would save the time of unlocking the device launching the music app and performing the steps. The less time the screen is on the better it is for battery life. So it may only save 1-2 seconds at a time but it is more convenient and that time will add up.

Unlock my Mac with Touch ID - This Jailbreak tweak Upcoming tweak lets you unlock your Mac using Touch ID shows how cool it would be. It might seem gimmicky but don't be fooled this could be one of those things causing an iPhone user to want to switch to a Mac.

iMessage reply from the lock screen - Jailbreak users have had this functionality for a long, long time with BiteSMS. Now Apple has tidied up the whole system. The notifications now sync between iOS and Mac devices to prevent the user from checking the same message multiply times. Now on the Mac you can answer the messages without launching the app. My fear though is that even though Apple may do something in iOS 8 it wont be close to what BiteSMS does. In other words I don't think right now they will allow users to answer messages from the lock screen. It is still a security issue. They may allow answering messages from within an app without leaving the app or launching iMessage. However I don't see lock screen happening for now.

Ability to put app icons/folders anywhere on the home screen grid - Again I wanted this for iOS 7. I don't want the ability to put the icons/folders anywhere they will still be on the grid. I just want to be able to put them anywhere on the grid that I choose. They would snap to different points but I would be able to put them around the edge of the screen or in a "+" pattern if I choose. They probably will never do this on the iPhone because it will be too complicated for some users.

Attachment button in Mail - The methods they have are still not intuitive. Everyone has been taught to look for the paper clip why can't they just follow the standard and make it better?

Better Siri - Siri has been getting progressively better. However there are still things that are frustrating and some that don't seem normal. When you activate Siri for example whatever you were listening to gets paused. But when you're done with Siri it doesn't unpause. So you're left for a few seconds to a few minutes until you realize and unpause your music, podcast, etc. If Siri would recognize what is playing and then when it closes un-pause it that would seem natural and seemless. There are some basic things that Siri can't do without an internet connection it's frustrating. Siri also can't turn on the data connection if it's off without requiring the passcode. If I'm able to take my iPhone out of my pocket to enter the passcode why would I bother using Siri to turn the data connection on/off it's just a few taps away. It seems a little silly especially since you can't use Siri without the internet but Siri wont turn the internet on lol.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
...Up Next feature in music app - Like in iTunes I want the Up Next feature where I can setup the list of songs I want to play. Playlists are huge now and with Shuffle there are still times you listen to a song and then you want a specific song to play next. In combination with the above feature this would save the time of unlocking the device launching the music app and performing the steps. The less time the screen is on the better it is for battery life. So it may only save 1-2 seconds at a time but it is more convenient and that time will add up...

The tweak Cyueue in cydia does this and I hope apple add this in iOS 8 (I also have wanted a 'queue' like feature since iOS 4 but that was cause of Winamp)

...iMessage reply from the lock screen - Jailbreak users have had this functionality for a long, long time with BiteSMS. Now Apple has tidied up the whole system. The notifications now sync between iOS and Mac devices to prevent the user from checking the same message multiply times. Now on the Mac you can answer the messages without launching the app. My fear though is that even though Apple may do something in iOS 8 it wont be close to what BiteSMS does. In other words I don't think right now they will allow users to answer messages from the lock screen. It is still a security issue. They may allow answering messages from within an app without leaving the app or launching iMessage. However I don't see lock screen happening for now...

I think if apple added quick reply it would be a global API so other apps can do so with apple's approval.

...Ability to put app icons/folders anywhere on the home screen grid - Again I wanted this for iOS 7. I don't want the ability to put the icons/folders anywhere they will still be on the grid. I just want to be able to put them anywhere on the grid that I choose. They would snap to different points but I would be able to put them around the edge of the screen or in a "+" pattern if I choose. They probably will never do this on the iPhone because it will be too complicated for some users...

This would be nice but it can be a system stability issue depending on setup.

...Attachment button in Mail - The methods they have are still not intuitive. Everyone has been taught to look for the paper clip why can't they just follow the standard and make it better?...

I think a global documents folder would be the best thing so files are all in one location so more than one app can access the same file.

...Better Siri - Siri has been getting progressively better. However there are still things that are frustrating and some that don't seem normal. When you activate Siri for example whatever you were listening to gets paused. But when you're done with Siri it doesn't unpause. So you're left for a few seconds to a few minutes until you realize and unpause your music, podcast, etc. If Siri would recognize what is playing and then when it closes un-pause it that would seem natural and seemless. There are some basic things that Siri can't do without an internet connection it's frustrating. Siri also can't turn on the data connection if it's off without requiring the passcode. If I'm able to take my iPhone out of my pocket to enter the passcode why would I bother using Siri to turn the data connection on/off it's just a few taps away. It seems a little silly especially since you can't use Siri without the internet but Siri wont turn the internet on lol.

This is why I still use VoiceOver; I can make calls, ask what song is playing, tell my phone what song to play, what song is playing and it works without a data connection. I think apple should combine VoiceOver and Siri together so people can have the best of both.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

farb12

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
1) Swiping keyboard
2) Pin items in notification center so they can't be deleted.
3) File folder
4) thumbnails in email and messaging, I'm a visual guy.
5) The ability to place icons anywhere on my desktop.
6) the ability to add a song that is playing to a new or existing playlist.

AND......

FIX ALL OF THESE SPRINGBOARD REBOOTS IM HAVING!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
well I have to say Apple really need to improve on their basics,their is a turn-around for everything while JB is there but I would like,and as a matter of fact almost everybody would like

built-in functionality in their OS regarding productivity

1. Homebutton should stay there (and yes it will) but with some touch alternative gesture for closing apps,bringing switcher etc

2. Keyboard overhaul,giving them a bit,just a tinge more area to the keys,along with revamped taps/gestures/functions for selecting text/formatting

3. Rich text formatting (action menu pack plus-esque)

4. Ability to copy a part of the text from the text bubble,like selecting a bubble will pop it up and then we can copy of text out of it

5. Ability to pin Reminders in NC and lockscreen

6. Ability to Pin events in NC and LS both

7. Ability to pin Notes in NC/LS and Make Large pinned snippets of it on first homescreen,it would be extremely good

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I would really like it to be as easy (or easier) as Android to place the cursor for text selection, etc. Placing the cursor where I want is always a pain because there's no cursor positioning "handle" so I'm always stabbing at my screen trying to get the cursor where I want. Is that Apple's idea of a game or something?

I would also like some flexibility in icon/folder placement. Android has this so why can't iOS? I mean, come on, we can send robots to Mars, I think Apple can manage this tiny bit of customization without destabilizing the OS.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Widgets. App drawer.

Yeah I know I can just make my own but I'm love if iOS did it out of the box for me.

I don't know if that would push me over the edge though. I like the spen on my Note 3 to much.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Adding on to the above:

Battery usage by app. Extend the BATTERY USAGE section by adding a feature that shows the % battery that apps have consumed.

Should make it much easier to determine which app has gone rouge and consumed too much battery.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Widgets. App drawer.

Yeah I know I can just make my own but I'm love if iOS did it out of the box for me.

I don't know if that would push me over the edge though. I like the spen on my Note 3 to much.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

I like the Note 3, I really do, but I'm OCD about build quality and after I read on AC about the wobbly home button it seemed every Note 3 I've seen is afflicted by it... a home button that doesn't sit laser-straight and moves back and forth in its housing. It bugs me enough that I always find some reason to not get the Note 3 when the opportunity arises. I know the Note 3 is a powerhouse and an Otterbox Defender would nullify the issue in everyday useage. Yes, I know, I have issues but Apple seems to meet my quality standards and keep the OCD monster at bay. Their quality control has been pretty top notch IME.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE