Favorites” and “tags” within my iOS Files app are not syncing.

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am having an issue with the iOS Files app, and nobody from Apple seems to be able to help me. I am hoping somebody here has experienced this issue and may be able to provide the fix.

So, here’s the issue …

I have my OneDrive and Dropbox services connected up with the iOS Files app.

If I mark a folder from OneDrive or Dropbox as a “favorite” within the Files app, or “tag” a file from OneDrive or Dropbox within the Files app, the “favorite” or “tag” designation does not sync or show up on my other devices as favorited or tagged.

Let’s say I access one of my OneDrive folders from within the Files app on my iPhone, and mark it as a favorite. That OneDrive folder then appears in the Favorites section of the Files app on my iPhone. However, if I then grab my iPad, that folder does not appear as a favorite on my iPad. Same with tags. If I “tag” a file stored in OneDrive in the Files app on my iPhone, the tag is created, and that file will appear as tagged on my iPhone. Yet, when I grab my iPad, although the tag itself will be there, the file that I tagged is not tagged.

I have been in contact with Apple Support, and they blame Microsoft. I have been in contact with Microsoft, and they blame Apple. Nobody even really seems to understand how iOS Files is supposed to work.

I cannot imagine that this is intended behavior, because it does not seem logical that you would want a folder marked as favorite or a file tagged only on one of your devices.

I have already tried the following:

(1) Switching OneDrive and Dropbox (from within Files) off and back on.
(2) Deleting and re-installing OneDrive and Dropbox.
(3) Restarting all my devices.
(4) Turning iCloud Drive off and on within my iCloud settings.

Nothing seems to work.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I would say it's both an Apple and Dropbox/Microsoft problem to solve.

The thing with favourites and tags is that they are Apple platform only, so all of them need to implement a way for those to sync over between Apple devices, without affecting functionality on other platforms where those features are absent (aka 90% of the market).

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would say it's both an Apple and Dropbox/Microsoft problem to solve.

The thing with favourites and tags is that they are Apple platform only, so all of them need to implement a way for those to sync over between Apple devices, without affecting functionality on other platforms where those features are absent (aka 90% of the market).

So to clarify, are you saying that favorites and tags will currently *not* sync between devices if the folders/files are contained within OneDrive and/or Dropbox?

I ask because everything I’ve read suggests that they should, and that this problem is isolated to my devices. If this is currently not possible and is just not something that currently works on any device, then I can give up my quest for answers.

Thanks!

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So to clarify, are you saying that favorites and tags will currently *not* sync between devices if the folders/files are contained within OneDrive and/or Dropbox?

I ask because everything I’ve read suggests that they should, and that this problem is isolated to my devices. If this is currently not possible and is just not something that currently works on any device, then I can give up my quest for answers.

Thanks!

That is correct. In my testing, tags will sync using iCloud Drive, but they will not using OneDrive for Education

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2