• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iOS 18 is here

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
When did you get an Apple Watch?

Yeah but to be fair the Apple Watch is a no brainer
I've had a Apple ultra since the ultra launched. Don't get ahead of yourself, Apple watch isn't light years better. Everything to you is Apple is better. I challenge you, tell me something you wish Apple would change to make it better for you, there has to be something you can criticize. I can criticize Apple on the send later option for text messages, just works for iPhone to iPhone. There's absolutely no reason that should have been iPhone only, iPhone users are being limited on what they can do yet again.

Are you happy that Apple finally allowed you to place the icons where you want on the screens. You have to say you at least like that change, it's long overdue. See, good and bad on all platforms

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys. It’s time to bring this back and forth to a close. To each his own. Thanks.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
For the ones that like RCS support.. If you have a friend with Google messages RCS and messages are failing, I had to do the following on my iPhone to get it to work and all my other iPhone users had to also

Go to your messages settings
Turn iMessages off
Turn RCS off
Turn iMessages on, wait for it to connect
Turn RCS on

Should work after that. Just passing info on just in case others are having this issue.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have maybe found a regression in iOS 18.

The CarPlay HUD support cuts off the next turn indications after 10 characters. This was fixed in the iOS 14 timeframe 😢

I’ll poke around some more this weekend.
So, an update. It’s definitely broken in iOS 18.0.0.

If Apple has coded the road name with more than 13 characters, it will be truncated at 10 characters and the rest replaced by an ellipsis (…).

I have already reported it to Apple. Hopefully it will be fixed in iOS 18.0.1.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If anybody cares about privacy or encryption…..

34d230591125d4b95eb03dad86816c12.png

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If anybody cares about privacy or encryption…..

34d230591125d4b95eb03dad86816c12.png

My son uses Samsung. And encryption is overrated. Don't need it. It's secure enough. Not worried about security. No one is looking at my phone. If they did, they wouldn't see much. Just some mundane everyday stuff. They might like my grocery list. Or football (American) talk.
d1a48b636809dcfdf367e388868de6f4.jpg

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My son uses Samsung. And encryption is overrated. Don't need it. It's secure enough. Not worried about security. No one is looking at my phone. If they did, they wouldn't see much. Just some mundane everyday stuff. They might like my grocery list. Or football (American) talk.

Well technically not really “secure enough” or at all with out encryption, it’s better to be informed before making a decision on privacy.

I will admit led, that reading your grocery list or football talk might just be in itself entertaining.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
Bottom line is Apple dropped the ball for the security.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line is Apple dropped the ball for the security.
Apple says that they are waiting for the RCS spec to have an end-to-end encryption standard - Google added a proprietary encryption protocol to their support of RCS on Android, and Apple didn't want to depend on a non-standard protocol that could change without inout from anyone other than Google.

And apparently a standard is something that is being worked on.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Updated my iPhone 15 Pro yesterday and seems to be working OK, going to start playing with the new features, been busy at the moment, my best friend and former business partner passed away suddenly and I had to drive to Michigan for 10 days to help out his widow, terrible situation, but we have to move forward.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
More and more users are turning off rcs, probably another Apple fanboy, even with the handle thegaloxy and using nothing but Samsung phones and foldables for the last 10 years 🤣

6b3f8d19d021ad3076ae6c50fffb145b.png

Apple says that they are waiting for the RCS spec to have an end-to-end encryption standard - Google added a proprietary encryption protocol to their support of RCS on Android, and Apple didn't want to depend on a non-standard protocol that could change without inout from anyone other than Google.

And apparently a standard is something that is being worked on.

Correct the gsma is currently working on it, they might have something in 2-12 years

Also worth noting is that googles version of rcs has to go through googles own servers. Apple and privacy minded consumers don’t really want that.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a gmail account so rcs not a thing for me.
RCS works based on your mobile phone number. It has nothing to do with Google or their mail service by its own.

It uses the server cluster your carrier put in their profile. You might be able to see in your phone’s APN settings IF available; it’s not available on my iPhone so YMMV.
If they decided to host that cluster at Google Cloud Platform, it will obviously connect to Google’s network.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
RCS works based on your mobile phone number. It has nothing to do with Google or their mail service by its own.

It uses the server cluster your carrier put in their profile. You might be able to see in your phone’s APN settings IF available; it’s not available on my iPhone so YMMV.
If they decided to host that cluster at Google Cloud Platform, it will obviously connect to Google’s network.
Thank you for the correct info.

Reactions: EdwinG

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apparently using rcs bypasses the carriers server entirely and uses google servers instead.
And
a google employee also revealed google receives the non-encrypted message and stores it in Google servers.

Ouch at the poster claiming rcs has nothing to do with google. 🤣

giphy.gif

Sources:
“The article below explains that the RCS data bypasses the carrier and uses data connection and Google's servers.”

And

“The initial version of RCS supported end-to-end encryption, but Google killed it later in their "Chat" implementation. “

And

“Edit: a user has just shared an article in which Google employee says that Google does indeed receive the non-encrypted message and stores it in Google servers, at least temporarily, according to the employee.”

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramzesenok