iMessage and Contacts Issues on iPhone 6

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
First, iMessages are sending from my email. Is this maybe because this is my first iPhone, and I usually send iMessages from my iPad and Mac with my email?

Second, I synced contacts from both of my Microsoft accounts, and I have many duplicates and even 3 or four! How do I fix this??

These are bothering me A LOT! Once I am able to fix these though, I'll be a very happy camper. :)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
First, iMessages are sending from my email. Is this maybe because this is my first iPhone, and I usually send iMessages from my iPad and Mac with my email?

Second, I synced contacts from both of my Microsoft accounts, and I have many duplicates and even 3 or four! How do I fix this??

These are bothering me A LOT! Once I am able to fix these though, I'll be a very happy camper. :)

For iMessage, make sure that you have your phone number set up as one of the "addresses". There are two menu settings, as I recall (phone is in the other room charging) - Send using (or similar text) that lists the email addresses and phone numbers - check what you want to show; and Start New Messages From (again, maybe not the exact wording) - make sure the phone number is checked there. I think that should do it.

Regarding multiple/duplicate contacts, just make sure that you are only syncing once - not feeding contacts from iCloud AND Microsoft/Outlook. I have seen posts where once the duplicates are there, they are hell to remove because the 2 feeds keep propagating them back and forth.

Hope that helps, that’s all I got.

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For iMessage, make sure that you have your phone number set up as one of the "addresses". There are two menu settings, as I recall (phone is in the other room charging) - Send using (or similar text) that lists the email addresses and phone numbers - check what you want to show; and Start New Messages From (again, maybe not the exact wording) - make sure the phone number is checked there. I think that should do it.

Regarding multiple/duplicate contacts, just make sure that you are only syncing once - not feeding contacts from iCloud AND Microsoft/Outlook. I have seen posts where once the duplicates are there, they are hell to remove because the 2 feeds keep propagating them back and forth.

Hope that helps, that?s all I got.

Where is that setting for messages? Can't find it in settings.

And it seems it doesn't matter either way if iCloud contacts are backed up, it still shows the duplicates. What I'm doing now is deleting the duplicates one by one. Once I finish that, is that possible for that to be transferred to iCloud, so if I get a new iPhone if this one breaks, I won't have to deal with it again?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Where is that setting for messages? Can't find it in settings.

And it seems it doesn't matter either way if iCloud contacts are backed up, it still shows the duplicates. What I'm doing now is deleting the duplicates one by one. Once I finish that, is that possible for that to be transferred to iCloud, so if I get a new iPhone if this one breaks, I won't have to deal with it again?

Messages settings is at Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. The two menu items are "You can be reached by iMessage at:" and "Start new conversations from:".

Regarding the contacts, that’s the tricky part. How are you pulling your contacts into your phone? Using the Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars you should only have ONE of your email addresses syncing contacts. Find one that has everything - even if it has duplicates, and stick with it. I’d recommend using an email address that is connected with iCloud. Turn Contacts OFF for all others. Then work on fixing the one that remains. That should do it. I thought I read that you were using iCloud and Microsoft/Outlook (sorry if I got that wrong). But if you are, both sources are populating the lists to the other, and then the other populates back (including duplicates) and it just goes back and forth until it’s a hot mess.

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Messages settings is at Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. The two menu items are "You can be reached by iMessage at:" and "Start new conversations from:".

Regarding the contacts, that?s the tricky part. How are you pulling your contacts into your phone? Using the Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars you should only have ONE of your email addresses syncing contacts. Find one that has everything - even if it has duplicates, and stick with it. I?d recommend using an email address that is connected with iCloud. Turn Contacts OFF for all others. Then work on fixing the one that remains. That should do it. I thought I read that you were using iCloud and Microsoft/Outlook (sorry if I got that wrong). But if you are, both sources are populating the lists to the other, and then the other populates back (including duplicates) and it just goes back and forth until it?s a hot mess.

For iMessage, I have that enabled, but my brother still says it's my email. Weird!

And for contacts, I found this awesome app called Contacts Duster Pro. Fixed everything, took only 30 seconds! :D

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
For iMessage, I have that enabled, but my brother still says it's my email. Weird!

And for contacts, I found this awesome app called Contacts Duster Pro. Fixed everything, took only 30 seconds! :D

I’ve not tried this personally, but on the messages thing, you might try turning OFF the email address on your phone and see how it goes. Play with turning iMessage off and then back on. You’re right, it’s a weird one.

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I?ve not tried this personally, but on the messages thing, you might try turning OFF the email address on your phone and see how it goes. Play with turning iMessage off and then back on. You?re right, it?s a weird one.

It won't let me, says cannot be removed. In doing this through settings for messaging, not mail settings.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
^This happened to my mom yesterday after the update on her 5. She had not been using iMessage before. The update defaulted iMessage to "on" and the "start conversations from" was checked as her iCloud email which she never uses.

So I told her to delete the conversation that she had started with me while unknowingly on iMessage (and to make sure that the phone number was checked to start conversations) and then start a new convo with me.
Her iPad then asked if her # was approved to be added for iMessage.

Then all was fine and was able to text like normal (but I think she will go back to using SMS text only 😜).

Hope this helps with your issue. 😊

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I had some issues with my wife's iPhone 6 and iMessage, it wouldn't send messages between iOS devices, I did turn off iMessages in her previous iPhone before wiping it, after a few resets it finally worked

iBright

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it happened to me as we'll and hag I did was just turn off iMessage n on again and will ask you to activate with your phone number. That worked for me.

iPhone 5S Gold ( iOS 7.1.2 )

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I found a fix for my issue. When I added my email to my phone everything that was synced to my Apple ID had my phone number listed and so I just selected my phone number was I chose that it was ok to be reached. Now my number is on all my iDevices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vincie855