• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Factory unlocked?

CT9AJ

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
So I haven't seen anything yet but is there going to be a factory unlocked version of the iPhone 5 available on the 21st also? I would like to fly up to Miami and buy one if that's the case. We don't have LTE here in the Cayman Islands so that doesn't matter to me. Our 3G/4G bands are the same as AT&T I think.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There will be one... but no clue (yet) when it will be available. Typically there is a lag between the release of the subsidized (read LOCKED) phones and the unlocked phones... but over the past several releases, that lag time period has shrunk.

I'd probably give it a week or two before we hear anything.

krossant

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I would really like to see Apple provide factory unlocked stock from Day 1. They have it being released in many other countries on launch day, so why not the USA? This is a simple fix. My guess is that they have some carrier stipulation that states they can't sell carrier-free (aka unlocked) versions in the USA for a certain period of time, in order to maximize contract sales.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I would really like to see Apple provide factory unlocked stock from Day 1. They have it being released in many other countries on launch day, so why not the USA? This is a simple fix. My guess is that they have some carrier stipulation that states they can't sell carrier-free (aka unlocked) versions in the USA for a certain period of time, in order to maximize contract sales.

Yes. Contract obligations give the carriers first shot at new unit sales. They in turn commit to a very high number of sales in a year.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
The contracts in the US go back to the days of AT&Ts exclusive access to sell iPhones. Apple required conditions from AT&T, and in turn they required conditions from Apple. Over time these were relaxed as other carriers came on board, but they still have minimum purchase requirements and initial release guarantees in the latest contracts.

TheMaccaUK

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
So if I wanted to order a US iPhone 5 on launch day for my colleague to bring to me in the UK I would have to take it on a carrier? I read elsewhere on the forum that you can pay an "unlocked" price and then get the carrier to unlock it once you've received it. Is this correct?

Thanks

nitinparmar1985

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
So if I wanted to order a US iPhone 5 on launch day for my colleague to bring to me in the UK I would have to take it on a carrier? I read elsewhere on the forum that you can pay an "unlocked" price and then get the carrier to unlock it once you've received it. Is this correct?

Thanks

why not just order it yourself in the UK on the 14th ? UK and US preorder and shipping dates are the same, correct me if im missing the point.....

TheMaccaUK

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Purely price.

The 16GB unlocked 5 is going to be ?529 ($850). Typically the price goes up by ?100 per storage increment making the 64GB unlocked 5 $1170!!!

My colleague who is coming over is based in one of the sales tax free states (New Hampshire I think) so $849 versus $1170 is a big incentive!

Reactions: mannar

JoRddZeCkO

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
So the Sim free iPhone 5 will be available to Pre Order here in the UK tomorrow? Has anyone got a link to where this information is please or has it been the same with every release? Thank You.

TheMaccaUK

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If you compare the order page for the iPhone 5 in the US and UK two differences suggest the UK will be sim-free:

1) The price. Yes we normally pay more but $199+ compared to ?529+ suggests this is the off-contract price
2) The US site lists the carriers you will be able to buy the phone on from tomorrow. The UK page doesn't list any carriers.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The contracts in the US go back to the days of AT&Ts exclusive access to sell iPhones. Apple required conditions from AT&T, and in turn they required conditions from Apple. Over time these were relaxed as other carriers came on board, but they still have minimum purchase requirements and initial release guarantees in the latest contracts.

All the carriers have been selling phones this exact same way long before the iPhone. Nothing has changed regards to getting your cell phone for less in exchange for signing a two year service contract.

dcsr23#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
How are people selling the phones on ebay as factory unlocked when Apple hasn't announced a release date on these? I thought apple needs to unlock these but obviously these are still new in the box and haven't been activated yet. Can someone elighten me?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nedjou1