Exchange Email Options

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Mobile me has worked best for me. I have an exchange account also. I get all of my calenders from work and home on my phone(btw I love iCal) I have all of my home contacs synchex with the phone, there is an option letting you disable the contact sync from work. And push mail from the exch acc and from mobile me are instant! Everything is done over the air so never worry that my home computer(Mac) and my iPhone have the most up to date info.

I had double calenders once on my iPhone. I just turned cal sync off then back on and it asked if I wanted to merge the data and the double became a single.

TimWilmath

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Here's my wish list for syncing -

1. Exchange adds Notes and tasks to syncing capability
2. Itunes adds tasks to syncing capability
3. MobileMe adds notes and tasks to syncing capability
4. MobileMe merges Exchange contacts and calendar with Outlook's

Until one or more of those come about - it's like a Rubik's cube getting all my stuff on 3 computers and my iPhone!

1414H77

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
A great option is to use a Kerio Mailserver Hosting provider. It allows you to use Exchange ActiveSync, but is a lot cheaper. I think Inftek Hosting (getsyncd.com) in Cary, NC does a great job and have been using it about a year on my iphone. It is at least 50% cheaper than most hosted Exchange providers, but exactly the same.

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I am starting to explore other options than MobileMe. Mobile me works fine for the most part but I want something that will also work with other types of phones (i.e. WM for example). It seems all phones/computers will work with exchange, so that appears to be the smoothest option in my future. I have looked at some hosted exchange sites, but most want ~$XX a month for one user. Are there any that have a flat fee for upwards of 5 user/email accounts? I like MobileMe's Aliases so I can have different e-mail addresses for different purposes, and would like similar functionality in a hosted exchange service.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I tried my first vist to a Starbucks with my 3GS.

I was all excited to be using the free wifi

I logged into the free wifi - but it seemed to give all my email accounts some hassle..

I had a lot of messages pop up ' cant connect - server not available (my IMAP server)

Emails I tried to send languished in the out box and had to be manually re sent and one of those seems to have gone AWOL (I cant find it on my home IMAP folders..???)

So altogether not a big 'enterprise style sucsess'.

I am using my IMAP servers Exchange for Mail.

I boasted earlier in the day to a friend using Mobile Me for Mail that my emails were showing up 4 seconds after being sent. He said his were showing up in 3.9 seconds..

So my learned friends, my question is .... when using the free wifi you get with an Iphone - does it work better with Mobile Me? Do Microsoft Exchange email accounts (with SL security) suffer problems as you move from one wifi spot to another?

Any advice? - should I just hop back to Mobile Me ? I worry I am unnesesarily complicating things... (one man business with one laptop and one iPhone)

I can always revert to Mobile Me for email...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

dan_mtl

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I use Microsoft Online Services which provides Hosted Exchange, SharePoint, and Live Meeting.

It's definitely a Microsoft centric solutions, however I am having no trouble at all synching with my IPhone or Mac Book Pro. (user Entourage)

What's nice is that MS Online services provides the same features as having your own Exchange Server. So Meeting Room booking, Distribution Groups, Access to SharePoint Folders, Support for multiple domains, etc.

The service is a bit more expensive than most pure exchange hosting about 15$ a month per user, with a minimum of 5 users to start out with.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Here's my wish list for syncing -

1. Exchange adds Notes and tasks to syncing capability
2. Itunes adds tasks to syncing capability
3. MobileMe adds notes and tasks to syncing capability
4. MobileMe merges Exchange contacts and calendar with Outlook's

Until one or more of those come about - it's like a Rubik's cube getting all my stuff on 3 computers and my iPhone!

Exchange added tasks over activesync in Exchange 2007.

tgrichards

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Works with Exchange; yes or no?

Folks, I'm sorry to so blatently just jump into this blog with a question. But my long faithful Palm 680 is quickly failing. And, I'm about to purchase an iPhone 3GS. I've "heard" from colleagues that they have big problems accessing their corporate email from the corporate exchange servers.

The servers are easily accessed; it's just an address: mail.companyname.com

So, my questions is "simple:" Does the 3GS easily and readily access email from an Exchange server?

Thanks, to all...

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Email handling and Contacts synchronization is fine with Exchange account (only one per iPhone).

The Calendar integration is lacking some features (like marking items Private, doing a busy search, making invitees required or optional etc).

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Email handling and Contacts synchronization is fine with Exchange account (only one per iPhone).

The Calendar integration is lacking some features (like marking items Private, doing a busy search, making invitees required or optional etc).

Agree - wish they would go up a notch on Exchange support (and it is/was the same with the Palm Pre). Task notifications would be great.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Google Sync is awesome for gmail. Just as fast as a blackberry. I canceled my MobileMe account. Don't need it anymore.

psyke0

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
No Offline Browsing...

Does anyone know why Apple did not implement offline email browsing? I'm on the subway in NYC alot commuting and it "pains" me to not be able to manage my emails when not connected to a signal of some kind.

* Can't move emails
* Can't delete
* Error on send even though the email gets moved to Outbox

Coming from BB and WM, this seems like an important feature even though the iPhone is selling like hotcakes!

Even SMS is crippled where you cannot send and it goes to an SMS outbox to send when you have signal (gsm, wifi, etc.). I just don't understand. Even simple Nokia phones have this feature out of the box!

Ah, the trade-offs. It's a love/h@te relationship. I'm hoping for iPhone 4.0!!!

Last edited:

tfalsetta#IM

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
ok heres a question....I have an IPHONE and want to get my company emails on it. My company does not allow Iphones to connect into the exchange servers so that is not an option.... so i have done the following:

I have a script on my PC that forwards all emails on my PC to a Gmail account. Then i pick them up on my Iphone....UGLY.....any suggestions for a better way???

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Have you tried using your Exchange settings from Outlook in the Exchange Settings of the iPhone. I'm not an IT guy, but it may work....however I'm sure most IT departments can see what types of machines are connecting to their servers...so they may see it. I don't know. I'd say it is worth a try.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Have you tried using your Exchange settings from Outlook in the Exchange Settings of the iPhone. I'm not an IT guy, but it may work....however I'm sure most IT departments can see what types of machines are connecting to their servers...so they may see it. I don't know. I'd say it is worth a try.

Nope, they would know - that's why you have to have different settings for ActiveSync vs. a PC and one will not work on the other.

Phoctifino

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
So, if I am already using Exchange Activesync for my Exchange Account at work, I'm petty well stuffed for push email for my other email accounts? From what I have seen Gmail, Interways etc all need to be configured to use Activesync if they are to operate as push accounts.

If that is correct, does this mean that MobileMe is my only way of getting push mail for my other email accounts?

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77