Complete NEWB question on freebe 3GS

ntjoe1

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
First off, I want to apologize for the newb questions I am about to ask. I am a current WebOS user (frankenPre 2 on Sprint) and with HP's remarkable efforts on the platform, am now waiting for Sprint's iPhone.

I was given a water damaged 3gs a week or so ago which had been damaged back in December and promptly put up. It powered right up when plugged in and was on 3.1.2, although I didn't use it much. After transplanting the screen to a friends phone that was broken, I ordered a new screen and it worked fine. I decided it would be cool to use as an iPod touch to get familiar with iOS, plus I take classes with University of Phoenix and LOVE the app. I had to upgrade the phone to 4.0 or greater to use the app, so I tried to upgrade and jailbreak (Redsnow) to 4.1 after reading about the baseband (05.11.07-6.4_M3S2). I admit it was not a smooth process but once done, it would reboot after 3-5 minutes on its own. I also noticed the battery drain was significant. It would even reboot when attempting to sync music with iTunes if the sync took long and hit the 3-5 minute mark. I tried to restore with iTunes (shift-click) and could not take it to 4.3.5 (many different error codes - I'd say almost all of them at one point and time or another). I would do it with 4.1, however from time to time it would get stuck in recovery and I had to use TinyUmbrella several times to kick it out. Even a non-jb restore with 4.1 would produce the same rebooting.

I used search here and other sites and wasnt too worried it I messed it up since it was free. I then began to notice the battery didn't seem to be charging during all this despite showing charging. I assumed the reboot and charging issues may be the charging port (which did show pink on the water indicator) so ordered another off eBay and replaced. After this, I got the black/blank screen most of the time or the flashing apple logo. Tonight I played more with it and finally got it back to a clean 4.1 from iTunes. It also showed 32% charged. I had an old ATT sim that was used through Go-Phone on an old 2G I had shortly a few years ago so it actually registered it with iTunes and I can play with it unjailbroken. The card is not activated, so I have only used wifi (between my 2-3 minute reboots). I have it in airplane mode with wifi on, have tried it with wifi off, disabled push, and so forth and it still does the 3-5 minute reboot.

I included a copy of the log from TinyUmbrella to show the rebooting.

I can only assume at this point its hardware related. Any ideas? I am not too familiar with all of the processes for iOS so please be patient with me and any newb questions I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ntjoe1

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Another interesting tidbit...I turned it off (red slide to shut down) at 30% charge. When I turned it on about 30 minutes later, it was at 20%.....wow! Them it did its 3 minute reboot and now says 46%.

ntjoe1

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Well solved it. It was the battery. Replacement came in today, and it has been on for 25 minutes so far with no issues and is charging normally.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien