AOL mail issue

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
So before anyone gets on me for still using AOL I just want to say I’ve had this email address for 20 years and it’s not full of junk and what not so yeah I still use AOL...LOL.

Anyway starting back on October 31st I haven’t been able to send emails via the mail app on iOS. I’ve tried deleting my account and setting it back up. I’ve also tried resetting the network settings. My outgoing messaging just keep getting stuck and then I get an imap outgoing message server unavailable error message.

Anyone else have suggestions on what I should try?

c879b3ea22ffaaa2c6c044ee21f27855.png

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I still have a throwaway AOL email account and after reading your post while taking a break, I was able to successfully send a test email to another one of my email accounts using the native Mail app on my iPhone X running iOS 11.2 Dev Beta 2.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I still have a throwaway AOL email account and after reading your post while taking a break, I was able to successfully send a test email to another one of my email accounts using the native Mail app on my iPhone X running iOS 11.2 Dev Beta 2.

I also did a test email fromt AOL account and it sent with no issues.

Have you changed your password recently? If so, just did the heck of it is change the password again and set it up new on your phone again.

Also, I've noticed, AOL doesn't play well if you use a password that's more than 15 letters/characters etc. I had this problem going back a few years ago with my daughters email. The password was 20 characters etc all together and while it would receive mail it wouldn't allow her to send with a similar pop up to what you're seeing.

Just a little food for thought.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I also did a test email fromt AOL account and it sent with no issues.

Have you changed your password recently? If so, just did the heck of it is change the password again and set it up new on your phone again.

Also, I've noticed, AOL doesn't play well if you use a password that's more than 15 letters/characters etc. I had this problem going back a few years ago with my daughters email. The password was 20 characters etc all together and while it would receive mail it wouldn't allow her to send with a similar pop up to what you're seeing.

Just a little food for thought.

I haven’t changed it recently but I I’ll try that too. I don’t send too many emails but now that I can’t send any it’s driving me nuts.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Ugh something funky is definitely going on with AOL. I tried to access my account on my computer and it’s not letting me in....error message.

Oy maybe I do need to get with the times and use Gmail...but like how do you even change emails when you’ve been using the same account for 2 decades :(

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Should be a email forward settings in AOL that will allow all email that is sent to your AOL be forwarded to a GMail account automatically.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
The issue has finally been resolved...I did the iOS update, I deleted the email address, reset the network settings and changed the password. I’m not sure what it was but it finally works.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The issue has finally been resolved...I did the iOS update, I deleted the email address, reset the network settings and changed the password. I’m not sure what it was but it finally works.

Good to hear you got it resolved !

In response to your concern of changing over emails... I have quite a few AOL emails I've been using since around the late 90's (I believe). I've thought about retiring them a few times BUT they serve me well with no issues (knock wood) so I'm happy enough leaving them all active and in use. Just my 2¢.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear you got it resolved !

In response to your concern of changing over emails... I have quite a few AOL emails I've been using since around the late 90's (I believe). I've thought about retiring them a few times BUT they serve me well with no issues (knock wood) so I'm happy enough leaving them all active and in use. Just my 2¢.

Now that’s it’s working again I’ll just keep using it. This really has been my email address for 20 years and I don’t get a ton of spam or have a zillion unread messages. So I don’t really have any interest in switching.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So before anyone gets on me for still using AOL I just want to say I’ve had this email address for 20 years and it’s not full of junk and what not so yeah I still use AOL...LOL.

We would never ever do that.

Well, ok....I would......but since you used a disclaimer, I'll be nice. :)

Glad you got it resolved.

vanmanny

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
Same issue. Did the iOS update but still having trouble. What network settings did you reset? Works ok on my iPad but not phone. I’ve been using Aol since Feb 1994!

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Same issue. Did the iOS update but still having trouble. What network settings did you reset? Works ok on my iPad but not phone. I’ve been using Aol since Feb 1994!

Ok, so I can’t say what exactly fixed it but here all the things I did and now it’s working. I can’t remember the order but here is everything I did.

I updated to iOS 11. Whatever the latest version is.
I reset the network settings - go to settings, general, reset and reset network settings. Keep in mind you’ll have to reconnect to any WiFi’s and enter those pw’s.
I also logged into aol and changed the password.
And at some point I think I must have powered my phone on and off a couple times hoping that would help too.

vanmanny

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
Thanks....I actually just got it working. I have 4 Aol email addresses. One was ok but the other 3 were not. I had updated to the latest iOS version and then deleted the 3 non-working email accounts and added them back in and all seem ok now. Didn’t have to do the reset. I appreciate your response!!

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks....I actually just got it working. I have 4 Aol email addresses. One was ok but the other 3 were not. I had updated to the latest iOS version and then deleted the 3 non-working email accounts and added them back in and all seem ok now. Didn’t have to do the reset. I appreciate your response!!

I forgot I deleted and readded the account but that didn’t work for me. Glad you got it working.

Kizzy Catwoman

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I keep getting emails from AOL saying that they want me to use their app from now on and that my email is being used in insecure apps. Confused? But glad you got yours up and running again

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting emails from AOL saying that they want me to use their app from now on and that my email is being used in insecure apps. Confused? But glad you got yours up and running again

I get that same email as well. I mainly use the iPhones mail app for all my various accounts and only use the AOL app for a couple. I wouldn't worry over it honestly. I just keep ignoring & deleting that email

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl