any new ideas for photo recovery?

toenniel

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Hello all...I think I already know the answer to my question but I am holding out a very small glimmer of hope that some genius on here has recently figured out a new solution to this problem. I have an iphone 4S, not exactly sure what firmware version but either the most recent or one behind. Also not jailbroken.

Last night I checked my phone before bed when the screen went black and then started flashing the white apple logo repeatedly - yikes. I'm not sure why exactly this happened as I had not recently upgraded software, downloaded anything new and generally made any major changes except some settings tweaks with my mail/calendar accounts. The phone phone was fully charged prior to this happening. I was able to power it off by holding the home and sleep key for 10-15 seconds and I just let it sit overnight.

So far this morning I've tried plugging it into my laptop (main computer I sync with) and my work computer - neither one recognizes the phone either in itunes or just Windows. I probably just need to restore, but the catch is that it's been a few weeks since I last backed up my phone (I know it's bad, I've been lazy :rolleyes:) and I recently took a ton of pictures I would hate to lose. There are several programs out there (Disk Aid, iphonebrowser, etc) that I can use to browse and possibly recover files from my iphone but since Windows doesn't recognize my phone none of them work. Does anyone know of another way to get Windows to recognize my phone or another program I could try? Or is there another step I am missing that is a different kind of reset that won't erase the data? I'm not concerned about anything other than the pictures.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have an iCloud account AND it is enable with photostream turned on then your photos should be intact on Apple's server. With iCloud enabled, your device should automatically backup once daily when sleeping AND if it is connected to a Wi-Fi network. If the above are as stated, you should be able to regain your photos after you've restored your device either from an iCloud backup or as new as long as you re-enable iCloud using the same account.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh dang. Sorry about that. Without a recent backup, I'm afraid your 'recent' photos are lost, to the best of "my" knowledge.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

toenniel

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Hm, actually...so this sounds dumb now, but my Camera Roll is included in my itunes backup correct? When I was researching earlier I read that photos on your iphone are not included in the backup and didn't think to question it but a quick google search proves that wrong. I do actually have a backup from two weeks ago...so I will still lose a number of photos from the time since then, but I usually import my photos from phone (separately from my normal backup) into my photo editing program and that is the process I haven't done in a month or two. So I will still lose some data but losing two weeks worth is much better than losing several months worth - looking on the bright side!

Also, I am guessing that if the Apple Store Genius Bar folks had some magical software program to fix my iphone without a restore/wipe I would have found it by now through my google searches. So I'm probably going to save myself the trip and do the restore myself and chalk this up to a lesson learned the hard way!

Thanks for your help!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You are correct. The camera roll is included in the backup. As for an app of some sort that will recover photos from your i-device, I don't know of any and I'm not jailbroken so I don't know if there's a jailbreak app that can do it.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

songenig

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey, If you have synced the iPhone to PC with iTunes at least once, the data in iPhone should be saved on the Mac hard drive. Although the computer do not detect your iPhone, you can recover your photos back from Mac hard drive.. What you need is a iTunes Data Recovery program. I suggest you use Tenorshare Data Recovery for Mac. It can recover files from iTunes backup files.

PaigeD9612

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever recover your photos? I had a similar situation, 3 weeks after my daughter was born I plugged my phone in to charge on my laptop.. Came back and it did a backup and restore and EVERYTHING was gone! It had restored to the last time I plugged it in, several months prior and I lost all my newborn's photos. It has been 6 months, I sent my phone away for a data recovery with no luck. The backup is there, but it is corrupted and it had restored before it backed up so that won't help me I don't think. However, there are maybe 40 extra files in that backup I would like to try to retrieve. I am desperate!!!! Any advice would be great.

PS. I have tried multiple recovery options, all they do is recover photos from the backup.. which I do not need =/

lareinaege

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It is very frequent for green hand to lose data during the process of transferring data from iPhone to computer, once you realize you have deleted some data by accident, you should stop using your iPhone at once, since if it continues to work, some new data will overwrite your lost data.
This is my precious experience of recover iPhone lost photos, from this point, you can get to know how often I have lost my iPhone data
Hope it can help you!

AbigaleBrown

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
In order to recover your deleted photos of your iPhone, there are two ways avaliable for you to choose, one is retrieve them through the iTunes backup files, it is based on that you have backed them up. If you have no backup of them, you have to choose a third party to recover lost photos of iPhone, you can have a try, both of these two ways are useful!

Originalloverman

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
In order to recover your deleted photos of your iPhone, there are two ways avaliable for you to choose, one is retrieve them through the iTunes backup files, it is based on that you have backed them up. If you have no backup of them, you have to choose a third party to recover lost photos of iPhone, you can have a try, both of these two ways are useful!

Just to let you know you are answering a two year old thread lol

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2