Android to Apple

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I also feel like, here in the states, iMessage is one of the reasons people get locked into apples ecosystem. Without apple offering RCS through standard text/MMS it hinders conversations outside of iMessage. If they would open that up to where full length videos and pictures could be both sent and received, I feel like the switch rate would slow. I know I wouldn't be on apple then but considering everyone I talk to is on an iphone, it makes the switch hard. Send videos or receiving videos just come out blurry.

Google has a whole campaign out now on twitter trying to get Apple to adopt RCS. It’s a touchy subject. On one hand, it would cause a lot of iPhone users to switch to android (including me) but I also think it shouldn’t matter what phone you use these days, any phone should be able to send videos and high res photos. SMS/MMS is so ancient already, RCS should be the fallback for Apple. It won’t happen but one could dream!

Do you still dabble into android phones? I know we have both gone back and forth for years.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ouch.

1bba1b633f1313eca070c37975789abe.jpg

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Google has a whole campaign out now on twitter trying to get Apple to adopt RCS. It’s a touchy subject. On one hand, it would cause a lot of iPhone users to switch to android (including me) but I also think it shouldn’t matter what phone you use these days, any phone should be able to send videos and high res photos. SMS/MMS is so ancient already, RCS should be the fallback for Apple. It won’t happen but one could dream!

Do you still dabble into android phones? I know we have both gone back and forth for years.

I have both now. I switch back and forth a lot. I have the iPhone 13 pro max right now. I picked up a pixel 6a to play around with, which it’s actually a decent phone. I’ll be looking forward to the pixel 7 pro

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

Looks like both hand the same amount of malware. Yes apple users got back their info a little more often than android users but the difference isn’t major. Also seems like Apple users lose their phone 6x more often than android users. 😂 Even reading the article it states that android isn’t far behind in security. Plus for the average American it’s probably not a big deal. Another thing is Apple has always said they have “better security” than others… so of course, over the years of campaigning that, that is what people remember to say.
Interviewer— do you feel more secure on apple
Interviewee— remembers commercial stating best security without really knowing anything about it… Yep I feel real secure.
😅🤣

Attachments

• 7C85A0A1-0EF5-4CEF-A0AD-B7E82F7DBB05.jpg
    7C85A0A1-0EF5-4CEF-A0AD-B7E82F7DBB05.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 3

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I have both now. I switch back and forth a lot. I have the iPhone 13 pro max right now. I picked up a pixel 6a to play around with, which it’s actually a decent phone. I’ll be looking forward to the pixel 7 pro

I have the pixel 6a too! I absolutely love it. Although it’s not a lateral move from the 13 pro I have, it’s an awesome phone for the price and just a joy to use. I’m all about that 6.1” size. I wish google used that size for their flagship model.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the pixel 6a too! I absolutely love it. Although it’s not a lateral move from the 13 pro I have, it’s an awesome phone for the price and just a joy to use. I’m all about that 6.1” size. I wish google used that size for their flagship model.

It really is a neat little phone. I hear the pixel 7 is going to be 6.3 maybe a little smaller

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like both hand the same amount of malware. Yes apple users got back their info a little more often than android users but the difference isn’t major. Also seems like Apple users lose their phone 6x more often than android users. Even reading the article it states that android isn’t far behind in security. Plus for the average American it’s probably not a big deal. Another thing is Apple has always said they have “better security” than others… so of course, over the years of campaigning that, that is what people remember to say.
Interviewer— do you feel more secure on apple
Interviewee— remembers commercial stating best security without really knowing anything about it… Yep I feel real secure.

Indeed, half of American android users are considering a switch to iPhone over privacy and security concerns, and rightly so.

“A survey shows that 49% of Android users are considering switching to Apple’s iPhone due to “perceived superiority” in security and privacy. In addition, consumers reported feeling more secure using the iPhone 13 Pro Max instead of Samsung’s Galaxy S22 Ultra.”

And it’s not only security but also privacy, you seemed to have omitted that point from your reply and only focusing on the fact that android is still behind in security, as per the article. As for privacy and the apple ads advertising that feature on iOS has been very successful. Maybe when google offers their users more privacy they might be able to run similar ads.

Sure 6x are more likely to lose their iPhones is completely believable given the iPhones high value compared to android.

Nobody’s wants to steal an android flagship .

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
It really is a neat little phone. I hear the pixel 7 is going to be 6.3 maybe a little smaller

That would be glorious. If you think about it, there is no 6.1” android phone compatible to the 13 pro. Yes the S22, but nowhere close to as good as the 13 pro all around.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Apple is refusing so they keep their sales up but I believe that Google will win if they go to court which they said they would.

I hope so, Apple can’t hold onto this forever. Why can’t everyone communicate the same way regardless of what phone they use? It’s ridiculous already!

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
In this case, Google is right. SMS/MMS should go away. Apple should support RCS for non-iMessage texting.

SMS/MMS works, with relatively rare glitches. RCS is highly buggy and the carriers are still having issues implementing it, so why should Apple bother with it? They made something that works and if someone chooses not to buy an iPhone it's not on Apple to worry about how they're communicating. Once the carriers get their crap sorted out and make it the new standard, retiring the old SMS standard, then everyone can lean on Apple to support it, at which point they probably will as long as it doesn't make them look bad. And by look bad I mean nothing screws up and angers customers because their messages aren't working right.

For context my last phone was a OnePlus 6t on Verizon, using Google Messages - RCS would turn off and on in the middle of a conversation, and I could never send pictures after a certain point. Verizon did all they could but it drove me completely away from Android (not the only reason but one of many).

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Apple is refusing so they keep their sales up but I believe that Google will win if they go to court which they said they would.

I disagree, I think if it goes to court while the RCS kinks are still being worked out Apple can use the defense that it doesn't work right, which it doesn't.

"Make them support our buggy experimental thing because we say so" makes them sound like whiney children to me, and I could see Apple coming out on top in that suit. Unless, of course, all carriers across the globe adopt it and get it working right. Then Apple has a problem.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
RCS is such a fragmented mess that the head of google messaging quit last month. It’s a good thing apple is not going to implement it on iOS.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
In this case, Google is right. SMS/MMS should go away. Apple should support RCS for non-iMessage texting.

I disagree.

Having all messages go through a google server on iOS is a touch to far. Most iOS users want to maintain the privacy advantage the iPhone offers.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I switched back to Android again Best buy had an great trade in for my 13 pro for a s22 ultra. The S22 has a bigger and brighter screen for me and my aging eyes. Still have iPad and Mac mini and Apple tv.

Came from Symbian to iOS, never owned an Android phone, probably never will.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Rcs goes thru different serves not just one that is where the issues are with rcs. Google is only asking apple to let rcs be a part of iMessage which they say won't hurt their iMessage. When I message someone with rcs it work just like iMessage.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Rcs goes thru different serves not just one that is where the issues are with rcs. Google is only asking apple to let rcs be a part of iMessage which they say won't hurt their iMessage. When I message someone with rcs it work just like iMessage.

Yes rcs is a fragmented mess and probably why googles head of messaging quit last month.

Googles version that goes through google servers are incompatible with the the rcs implemented by the carriers. Even though both are called rcs they are two different versions that can’t communicate with each other after google forked rcs with their version of the jinbe server.

Googles rcs isn’t an open standard but a closed messaging platform. Having messages go through a google server isn’t going to happen on a iPhone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
SMS/MMS works, with relatively rare glitches. RCS is highly buggy and the carriers are still having issues implementing it, so why should Apple bother with it? .

I want RCS for the simple reason of MMS group messages. You can't leave them from the messages app now - you can only either block the people (if there is even one contact in the thread that you want to hear from otherwise then this doesn't work perfectly) or turn off alerts and basically ignore the thread of messages. If RCS fixes this problem (it does), I'm all for it.

Apple's messaging app should support all messaging standards supported by the carriers, period.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I disagree.

Having all messages go through a google server on iOS is a touch to far. Most iOS users want to maintain the privacy advantage the iPhone offers.

RCS does not go through Google servers. It is a standard offered by the carriers and gies through their networks, just like SMS/MMS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizayoni