Android to Apple

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
At this point Samsung is just embarrassing themselves.

e48a429024212da2d8a65f86bdb8c7d6.png

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

It took Apple a lot of billions and a lot of time to bring their custom components right in sync with the custom software. But it’s paying off big time. I think display brightness is just part of it. Apple can keep the iPhone cooler, reduce power draw, put in a smaller battery but get longer time between charges. This gives them a lot more flexibility in the overall design. Samsung and others using off the shelf parts are just not going to be able to keep up with it.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It took Apple a lot of billions and a lot of time to bring their custom components right in sync with the custom software. But it’s paying off big time. I think display brightness is just part of it. Apple can keep the iPhone cooler, reduce power draw, put in a smaller battery but get longer time between charges. This gives them a lot more flexibility in the overall design. Samsung and others using off the shelf parts are just not going to be able to keep up with it.

It’s not just custom components, apple invented thier own ltpo oled displays in 2018. It took 4 years to find a fabricator that would be able to make it in a larger size for the iPhone.

Quite right Samsung mobile and other android oems are at the mercy of Samsung displays off the shelf parts, they simply can no longer compete.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsungs had a really bad year but q4 was a bloodbath.

Look like their smartphone division had weak sales and that had a negative impact on Samsungs semiconductor division.

06baf083ece58cec16aba224604c9ee7.jpg

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Both platforms have the good and bad points I switch all the time I am currently using the S22 ultra and have been satisfied so far. I want to see some changes in iphones before I switch back.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
-IMHO Foxconn issues probably will cause iPhone to be flat. The previous Q1 of nearly 72B. That's a titanic YoY comp to beat.

It turned out to be, yes. But only down 8%, and even with the two-year ago quarter. Pretty remarkable really considering all of the issues Apple had (including, as it turned out, the strong dollar vs. foreign currencies.)

-On Mac, Apple Silicon performance was incredible but the overall desktop/laptop market has softened too much to expect even YoY flat. In this category I think it'll be all about how little (or a lot) the YoY decline from 10.7 billion is as compared to industry competitors.

Down a lot, but I think some of that was due to the same pressures as hit the iPhone - they introduced M2 MBP and Mini just this quarter. Maybe a bit of catching-up will happen this quarter.

-The services side is about how much the growth is. Last quarter's 5% was substantially slower. I do believe higher single digits is likely.

Only 6%.

-I am less optimistic about iPad. I think there will be YoY decline. But it'll be close.

30% growth!

-14.7 Billion wearables-hearables-other. This is another staggering 3 month number. But IMHO this is my guess for a beat. While Apple's AirPods sales kept growing, there's a huge amount of competitors. Everyone wants to sell TWEBS. But is has also made this market explode. The AirPods Pro gen 2 update could be 7 billion in Q1 just by itself. Add in other TWEB models, Ultra S8 SE Watch, less expensive Apple TV, my hunch is this category is going to stay trending upward.

Down 8%. AirPods Pro upgrade came late, and I think that this category may one similar to iPad and Mac - people don't upgrade all that often, holding off for years until the old watch/Airpods/etc. stop working, or the new versions are just extra-compelling.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
It turned out to be, yes. But only down 8%, and even with the two-year ago quarter. Pretty remarkable really considering all of the issues Apple had (including, as it turned out, the strong dollar vs. foreign currencies.)

Down a lot, but I think some of that was due to the same pressures as hit the iPhone - they introduced M2 MBP and Mini just this quarter. Maybe a bit of catching-up will happen this quarter.

Only 6%.

30% growth!

Down 8%. AirPods Pro upgrade came late, and I think that this category may one similar to iPad and Mac - people don't upgrade all that often, holding off for years until the old watch/Airpods/etc. stop working, or the new versions are just extra-compelling.

-My iPad prediction ended up the furthest off :). How iPad pulled that off, 30%, is inexplicable. In this environment, coming off the crazy covid consumer electronics buying spike, to pull off the best iPad quarter since 2014 is shocking.
-On H/Wearables, another tangible miss. If APP 2, which I thought was compelling, has pent up demand from a late release, we’ll see a nice YoY jump this quarter. But consumer spending was down. It makes the iPad huge beat even more inexplicable.
-I think 6% Services growth is all and all pretty decent given the enviro. I was relatively close on that.

I was listening to a Wall Street based Apple analyst. Largely they are full of BS but he was extremely upbeat on Mac 2023 and 2024, making some surprisingly good technical points. Apple Silicon is and will be letting Apple do designs that Windows makers just can’t match.

Smartphone market did get hurt in the last half year. But you said it well. FX and factory issues made up much of this for Apple. Tim Cook was modestly upbeat for this quarter. Pretty incredible considering Samsung’s titanic earnings fall.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner