5G on this 12 pro max (sprint) is terrible

NewYorkChic

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I even tried to switch SIM cards and used the T-Mobile.. I have one bar and lots of drop calls. I’m a drop call away from switching to Verizon

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried disabling 5G on your mobile phone?

Like @TwitchyPuppy mentioned, you might be just a little bit too far from the cellular antenna to have a reliable signal. Fifth generation networks have only barely started their deployments, so it is normal to have dead spots.

NewYorkChic

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
My bro have 5G and has full bars in the house.. just like u said they may not have a tower near but I doubt it.. I live New York Manhattan to be exact and there’s towers everywhere. The tech tried to help me but he failed

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My bro have 5G and has full bars in the house.. just like u said they may not have a tower near but I doubt it.. I live New York Manhattan to be exact and there’s towers everywhere. The tech tried to help me but he failed

Did you set up the phone as new or migrate from a backup? A reset of your network settings might be the answer. I had carrier side problems with my new phone. After they fixed that they still saw problems. I hated to do the settings reset but it solved the problem.

A reset of network settings does not wipe your phone but will wipe your cellular and WiFi settings. Thus why I didn't want to. In my case I had and now redo lots of settings for hidden networks. That's no fun but the cellular network issues truly a problem are gone.

Even after the setting reset there are still matters you need know can occur from all the 5G build out going on. We get enterprise tier support from two carriers because we have a delivery division in the business and cellular backup for network links. The carrier staff admit there are areas where LTE will be best while all the work is going on. 5G works as advertised at one of our work sites and my home. Not by my HQ data center that showed up in 5G coverage map later.

Regardless, know about the settings reset. It's not fun to have some tedious work after that but we support mobile at some scale where over and over I see it solves problems.

NewYorkChic

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Did you set up the phone as new or migrate from a backup? A reset of your network settings might be the answer. I had carrier side problems with my new phone. After they fixed that they still saw problems. I hated to do the settings reset but it solved the problem.

A reset of network settings does not wipe your phone but will wipe your cellular and WiFi settings. Thus why I didn't want to. In my case I had and now redo lots of settings for hidden networks. That's no fun but the cellular network issues truly a problem are gone.

Even after the setting reset there are still matters you need know can occur from all the 5G build out going on. We get enterprise tier support from two carriers because we have a delivery division in the business and cellular backup for network links. The carrier staff admit there are areas where LTE will be best while all the work is going on. 5G works as advertised at one of our work sites and my home. Not by my HQ data center that showed up in 5G coverage map later.

Regardless, know about the settings reset. It's not fun to have some tedious work after that but we support mobile at some scale where over and over I see it solves problems.

Well the t mobile support guy had me reset everything but still at one bar. I didn’t have problems with drop calls on the 11 pro max but I do now i literally have to sit by a window to get a good reception to make a call.. super strenuous!!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Well the t mobile support guy had me reset everything but still at one bar. I didn’t have problems with drop calls on the 11 pro max but I do now i literally have to sit by a window to get a good reception to make a call.. super strenuous!!

Do you see the 5G on, auto and LTE settings? Have you tried different settings there?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Can you dial "*3001#12345#*" in the phone app?

This will trigger an app called "Field Test Mode", that give you low-level cellular network information.
Look at "Servicing Cell Meas", as those are the perceived signal strength, in dBm, by your phone.
I would also go outdoors if possible, to compare the numbers.

Important to note that you can't use these to compare device to device, as their antenna organization and sensitivity will be different.

On my iPhone 11 Pro, it looks like this:
IMG_4788.PNG

Rsrp0 represents your active cell tower, and Rsrp1 would be the backup tower.

The higher the value, the higher the strength. Note that you'll never get 0 dBm. You would ideally want to be in the -40 to -105 range.

Based on https://www.macworld.com/article/33...-strength-with-the-iphone-field-test-app.html and https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/see-actual-signal-strength-your-iphone-ios-11-0182733/

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

It can take a while for the fields to populate. My suggestion is you hold your case/ticket/reference numbers from your carrier and Apple support. With that explain your results with the field test mode. If not done already with Apple support have them run the diagnostics remotely. If they say no problems use that with your carrier.

That sort of methodology, persistence and keeping a reasonably cheery tone though unhappy ultimately got the Verizon support I needed.

FWIW, I don't have reception issues but I again noticed call quality go away when I moved to a next tower. I'll have to be back at Verizon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vincie855